• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Calling all mappers... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Kr0m Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Forums Administrator
  • Account: kr0m

Posted 28 April 2004 - 01:57 AM

When producing your maps please take into serious consideration of where you put your spawn points and that you have decent cover for those spawn areas. There's far too many popular maps being played where one or both sides of a map can get spawn f**ked pretty quick.
Other than that, GJ all!

#2 User is offline   blackrayne (old) Icon

Posted 28 April 2004 - 05:56 AM

lmao!!!!! lance good post! (lol)

#3 User is offline   |NV|S (old) Icon

• LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 28 April 2004 - 11:39 AM

An Urban Terror map without spawncamping? You're kidding right? Face it, people in this game like to spawncamp, and the harder you make it, the harder they try. You might as well just accept that, and move on. People in this game gravitate to the maps that facilitate the most cheesy and lazy tactics to win. Thats not my opinion, thats just a fact, the sooner you realize that, and adjust your game accordingly, the more happy you'll be.

Mappers arn't miracle workers. The gameplay elements of a map including navagation, player interaction, etc, are setup for how the game was meant to be played. Unfortunaly there are a few that feel the need to take advantage of any weakness, either players from the other team, or design of the level to get his frags with the least amount of work and skill possible.

You wanna change something? change the attitudes, and sportsmanship of the players of this mod, thats where the real problem lies. All the tricks & gimmics (Mr Sentry) arn't going to stop the true A55hats from laying in wait to grab the cheap frag no matter how many spawnrooms or sentry robots you create.

**Insert the same tired old arguement since the FPS was created here**

#4 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 28 April 2004 - 06:47 PM

Preach on INVIS! I completely agree. No matter how many times SID updates or modifies a level, gamers will still disagree with changes we make on our levels, even after using their input. As for community designers, it is rare we see a level updated, as the mod progresses. Sad, but true.

#5 User is offline   Kr0m Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Forums Administrator
  • Account: kr0m

Posted 29 April 2004 - 02:33 AM

Valid points.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   War Spaghetti (old) Icon

• LocationPennyvania

Posted 29 April 2004 - 04:01 AM

Don't play ctf.

#7 Guest_Annihilator

Posted 29 April 2004 - 07:17 AM

Spawn camping in UrT is nothing in comparison to what goes on in ET. That game seems to be designed around the whole notion of spawn campings. I admit that sometimes it's gets frustrating to be spawn camped over and over again but that seems to happen only on rare occassions.

#8 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 30 April 2004 - 09:58 AM

[quote name='"Oswald"]As for community designers' date=' it is rare we see a level updated, as the mod progresses. Sad, but true.[/quote']

If you're referring to the large numbers of 2.x maps that haven't updated, then I could understand. But nonetheless, we community mappers don't have the luxary of funking around with our maps and changing them once we've released them like you have with your updates to Urban Terror. If we were to do so... there would be an anarchy of sorts with many different versions of a map flying round the fileservers and gameservers, not to mention the gamer's HDD. We just have to grit our teeth and save it for the next version.

Hybridesque.

#9 User is offline   Dufkni3n Icon

• Account: dufkni3n

Posted 30 April 2004 - 12:41 PM

I agree Hyb, If all mappers would update their maps as often as SID can do, then the community would even bother less to download them. its already hard to get a map on the most HDD from gamers, cause yes the most gamers are to lazy to download 3rd party maps (they arent enough on servers to even bother) and if those maps get update a lot, why would some one download a new version of a map they already hardly played. Ofcourse i agree that a map sometimes need changes and updates are important (as for adding bomb mode and 3.0 changes) but more updates get confusing and gamers wont download the updated maps.

#10 User is offline   |NV|S (old) Icon

• LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 30 April 2004 - 06:43 PM

With 20+ rock solid playing maps in the mod, and with the exception of a few not being updated for the new game modes, what is the motivating factor for the average player to download a 3rd party map?

I hate to say it, but there isnt any. This can be frustrating for those of us mappers that spent hours upon hours on these maps. Granted, yes it is a labor of love, but it would be nice not to see it go to waste. But what can you do? 90% of the gamers are lazy, coupled with the fact that a lot of the maps released are just plain crap. I Know thats mean to say, but take it in the context that there are missing textures, areas where players shouldnt be, bad bot support if any at all. In some instances some maps have shaders that are copied from other maps causing conflicts, and even in worst cases can "Break the game" like a map from madhorse did recently.

If there were a SID standard from the get-go of approving maps for the mod then more average gamers would get the maps.

We have a golden opportunity here when the Port to ET happens to change how SID supports 3rd party maps. I know its tedious looking at all the maps that would get sent thier way, but just think of how much play an official SID APPROVED map would get, especially when its premiered on urban terrors homepage as the "map of the month".

Just some food for thought.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942