Urban Terror Forums: [Bug Report] No User Agent breaks the forums - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

[Bug Report] No User Agent breaks the forums Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:41 PM

*motions towards woekle*

I heard he's in that line of "business"

#12 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:13 PM

$50/hour, my place, no dirty stuff, only safe sex...

Btw, you didnt actually ban him, right? If so, please unban, he was a nice guy... Anywayz, bedtime, enough spamming the forums :oops:

#13 User is offline   FragginNewby (old) Icon

• LocationKilladelphia, PA

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:56 PM

Most people use IE... roffles. Which leads to the point that most people have below average IQs, some significantly so.

#14 Guest_agiantblackdude

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:05 AM

Security on this forum is non-negotiable. Ghozt is correct in his position regarding this. During my over a year as host here, we were attacked time and time again by a disgruntled former "employee" of SID.

This is like Las Vegas, bro, the information collected about you in the logs... stays there. Unless you're doing something you shouldn't, in which case it goes to the proper authorities. Maybe a simple "privacy statement" would put some people at ease, but this is a paper tiger, and I give those about as much creedence as a "check is in the mail".

It's not as if we're asking for a scan of your passport, state issued driving license or military ID. Oh, a retina scan and thumbprint, your first pets name, your moms cup size and some Slim Jims, too.

#15 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:34 AM

[quote name='"agiantblackdude"]...and some Slim Jims' date=' too.[/quote']

You better share if you get some.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   ghozt (old) Icon

• LocationDelaware, USA

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:25 AM

This is not a phpbb limited issue with the user agent, (by default in firefox you do not have this issue) the rules in the/MY mod_security config want to know who you are or they deny you entry. Its doing its job, ovbiously its not a bug or something that needs improving on. :D

#17 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:39 AM

while the thread's idea looks security paranoid to me, it's quite easy to have a browser send whatever in that string and in effect make it a joke.

#18 User is offline   ghozt (old) Icon

• LocationDelaware, USA

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:35 AM

No one was laughing last time the boards db was wiped clean and tagged by the hacker - NeverEverNoSanity WebWorm (which for once wasnt bas). phpbb was vulnarable through a php hole and I used a custom ruleset/config for mod_security made by other users in my data center and posted in their security section of their forums.
Besides I told this guy the reason this was happening and why it was happening. Also I told him that I would look into it, and not even a day later he's here posting about it and calling it a phpbb bug when it was fully explained what it was and what it was not to him, Even with an exert from the audit_log to show him. So why bother now, So far he's 1 in 2511 with a problem. :shock:

#19 User is offline   Kr0m Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Forums Administrator
  • Account: kr0m

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:04 AM

Caffeine:
While I see your point and effort at personal security, sites also need to take precautions with their own security as well and with the urt.net forums... it should be non-negotiable (due to the previous problems).

#20 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:28 AM

Well, if the security model caused any REAL problems, then you'd had to start thinking about fixing it. But requiering a UA-string is not a real problem. Theres no reason not to send it.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942