Urban Terror Forums: [Feature Request] Forum profile support for XMPP/Google Talk - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

[Feature Request] Forum profile support for XMPP/Google Talk Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:49 PM

I would like to have forum profile support and a post icon for XMPP (aka Jabber[1]) instant messaging information. XMPP, or the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol[2], is an open specification for IM, with server-to-server communications and protocol encryption (SSL) support.

Most notably, it is used by Google Talk[3] (anyone with a GMail account can use it), which just recently enabled S2S. This enables me, for example, to IM geek@gmail.com with my nixpenguin@jabber.org XMPP presence. I could also set up and run my own server if I so desired.

There is a phpBB.com-hosted Jabber mod for phpBB which should hopefully work with the UrT forums. It is located here: http://www.phpbb.com...ic.php?t=268331 ... The only caveat is that it comes with white post icons, so whoever made the black icons for ICQ/AIM/MSN/Yahoo on the UrT forums should perhaps be contacted.

[1] http://www.jabber.org/
[2] http://www.xmpp.org/
[3] http://talk.google.com/

(Edit: Fixed definition of XMPP)

#2 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:07 PM

Interesting thought. URL handling support is a bit sketchy though, at least for gAIM and the like. Never the less, I say put it to a vote. Please remember that all mods made to the forum code have to be: (1) audited, duh, and (2) maintained throughout vendor branch updates, CVS terminology.

#3 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:58 PM

URL handling support is a bit sketchy though, at least for gAIM and the like.

No problems with Kopete here.

Never the less, I say put it to a vote.

Then it'll never happen.

Please remember that all mods made to the forum code have to be: (1) audited

Well, it was already "validated" by the phpBB.com Mod Team.

maintained throughout vendor branch updates

I don't think that will be a problem. Of course, I've looked at the mod (basically step-by-step editing instructions) and it seems pretty maintainable (and reversible) to me.

#4 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:05 PM

Again, you've already spoken to Ghozt about this. He told you exactly what would need to happen. And frankly, I can't see how his words to you could've been misinterpreted.

#5 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:09 PM

[quote name='"illogical"]Again' date=' you've already spoken to Ghozt about this. He told you exactly what would need to happen. And frankly, I can't see how his words to you could've been misinterpreted.[/quote']
Ghozt told me that he'd go ahead and implement it with Oswald's permission. I asked Oswald about it and he apparently asked Kr0m to do it. Unfortunately, Kr0m appears to have given up. So what now?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:14 PM

[quote name='"Caffeine"]Ghozt told me that he'd go ahead and implement it with Oswald's permission. I asked Oswald about it and he apparently asked Kr0m to do it. Unfortunately' date=' Kr0m appears to have given up. So what now?[/quote']

I should think it obvious. Alas, I digress. If Oswald asked Kr0m to do it and he didn't, wouldn't it make sense to either poke Kr0m or go back to Oswald?

#7 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:18 PM

[quote name='"illogical"]I should think it obvious. Alas' date=' I digress. If Oswald asked Kr0m to do it and he didn't, wouldn't it make sense to either poke Kr0m or go back to Oswald?[/quote']
I suppose so, but now that everyone who reads that knows what needs to be done, I'll just wait and see what happens. I'll settle for having Jabber info in my sig, since it seems that no one wants to implement it and no one else is asking for it.

#8 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:22 PM

Come on people, let's all relax and go to bed or something first... This stuff is not important caffeine, REALLY its not.

#9 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:03 AM

I dont recall telling anyone to do anything related to this. I will speak to Ghozt and we will go from there.. Thanks.

#10 User is offline   Kr0m Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Forums Administrator
  • Account: kr0m

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:02 AM

Again' date=' you've already spoken to Ghozt about this. He told you exactly what would need to happen. And frankly, I can't see how his words to you could've been misinterpreted.[/quote']
Ghozt told me that he'd go ahead and implement it with Oswald's permission. I asked Oswald about it and he apparently asked Kr0m to do it. Unfortunately, Kr0m appears to have given up. So what now?

sigh... I told you from day 1 that Ghozt is the one that would have to be the one to change anything within the forum code. I even went as far as looking for such type of an addon/mod and even wasted some time trying to make an icon (as you know, you were in pm with on IRC looking for the mod) for it.
Until the mod icons were edited to match the forums theme (which I'm not even sure the author/s of the mod give permission to do so), I wasn't even going to bother asking about implementing it.

As for Oswald asking me about it, he hasn't... you did state however, something alone the lines of 'Ghozt said if Oswald OKs it and if ther other admins approve, should be Ok to do so'.

Personally, I have no problems with adding such info into the user profile section, xfire and whatever else, maybe teamspeak 2 (if there's mods available) should also be added. After looking at how to install the mods, it's kind of a pain in the butt. In the end, it's up to Ghozt since he's the one doing the work on it.

I've had to install a new harddrive, hence my disappearance.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942