• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Map size for Team Survivor. Rate Topic: -----

#11 Guest_UE|FinnY

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:38 PM

i like med size maps :D

#12 Guest_[n*e*r*d*].SplitKick

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:50 PM

Yes. medium sized is mostly best. But the flow is indeed a tad more important than size. As someone stated before the last two crouching players will always be there, regardless of map size. More people just need to bind a key to "hey asshat, I'm at $location, let's meet".

In the case of turnpike, I think it's a tiny tad too small. It promotes spawncamping with nades, because everybody knows that the enemy will be coming in from under the train tracks within five seconds of the start of the round, whereas they'll take more time to come in via other routes, giving the nadecampers a relatively safe retreat. But that's maybe too specific an answer.

#13 Guest_Annihilator

Posted 15 May 2004 - 05:32 PM

Definately small to medium sized. Anything bigger and you spend the last 2 minutes of each round searching down 1 guy who's moving from camp site to camp site.

#14 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 15 May 2004 - 05:46 PM

It really depends on layout. A small map could have many interior and exterior areas which would allow for a single client to camp to finish out a round. A larger level with no access inside buildings or on top of all the roofs would go a bit quicker. So size is relative...

#15 Guest_anubis.Gun]{

Posted 15 May 2004 - 05:48 PM

small maps with lots of buildings, or large maps with less buildings. :)

* edit : doh, os was faster ... *

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 15 May 2004 - 05:53 PM

yeah you got it!

#17 User is offline   NakedAssassin (old) Icon

• Location55.56°N 4.01°W

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:03 PM

I'd like to see better use of the variable map areas to make maps play better for CTF and TS. Casa is done pretty well in this respect because it plays smoothly in both modes.

Some maps like Rommel seem to have a bit less thought put in .. ie "ah lets just close the tunnels off so they cant camp" Instead there are bottlenecks all over the damn map, one half is really open and the other is not and it doesn't really play well on TS while it is good for CTF. Even if people do still camp it up at the flag areas...

Algiers IMHO needs another area for CTF (like the overhaul previously done on abbey2) and plays well in TS/BM just now.

#18 User is offline   Shminkyboy Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: shminkyboy

Posted 15 May 2004 - 08:58 PM

k, Thanks a bunch guys, the replies give some good insight.

I'll likely consider all this in the next thing I release ;)

#19 Guest_Majic.

Posted 15 May 2004 - 10:17 PM

/pips up
Medium sized map.

4-5 inter connected 'areas' with 3 routes into each.
If you have a corridor longer then a third of the sprint bar or has more then 3-4 'right angles' in the route then it's too big.

Seriously this works :)

Draw 4-5 arenas arrange them so that they are interconnected with at least 3 entries into each and see how well the map flows :)

Infact try not to have any corridors unless it's within an 'area' for cover reasons (think narrow corridor on casa).

Decorate each area as you see fit.

then stick it in an oven gas mark 7 for 3 mins or whatever your manufacturere recommends for fan assisted ovens.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942