• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

no llama hit-detection question Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Wily Duck Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: wilyduck

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:34 PM

I've noticed that when groups of people are standing together, it's actually much harder to land a hit, rather than easier. Bullets are fired at them, say dead center of the fleshcluster, and no hits occur nor do wall marks behind them. I've witnessed this for quite some time, so with all due respect, I ask if there is a problem in this scenario.

My personal speculation is when bounding boxes cross, the hit detection slips by not understanding how to handle hitting either/or/both boxes at once, then defaulting to disgarding the hit. This is my opinion and I may be completely wrong.

If you feel it's related, please explain why in the same occurance, but with one opponent, shots may be fired into them with no hit nor wallmark.

Thank you.

FSK405 a wily duck

#2 User is offline   don Icon

• Account: don
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:59 PM

im just guessing here since i have no knowledge of the hit detection engine, since learning it would probably make me exploit it :lol:

Ok what i think IS:

when more then one bullet hits a person in the exact same server frame, a hit is not recorded. This happens with spas alot i find. I hit someone and it just says i killed them. Im guessing the boxes overlapped and your bullet hit both people, but the hit did not register with the server's message system or w/e.

This has happened to me before with spasing 2 people with one shell. 2 people were medicing and i came around the corner and shot. They both died but it said neither was hit.

Im thinking a way to see if you really hit them or didnt is by turning on "showbulletmiss". This will show your missed shots in the console i believe. The command has slipped my mind, so you will have to find it yourself.

#3 User is offline   TwentySeven Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Engine Developer
  • Account: twentyseven

Posted 05 May 2004 - 07:32 AM

the spas only reports damage for the first person it encounters.
Its so you dont have 20 messages in the console, 1 per pellet.

#4 User is offline   War Spaghetti (old) Icon

• LocationPennyvania

Posted 05 May 2004 - 08:57 PM

how exactly is the damage percent measured with the spas?

#5 User is offline   -SATAN- (old) Icon

Posted 06 May 2004 - 12:31 AM

dunno sure bout the spas but i kill full health ppl with 1 spas shot and i says 20% damage but it might be a little buggy with spas cause one shot counts like 20 small bullets :D

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   rashly (old) Icon

• Locationlong island

Posted 06 May 2004 - 03:08 AM

urt should display the collective damage from all the pellets combined.

#7 Guest_Annihilator

Posted 07 May 2004 - 01:32 AM

That would be cool, I'd like to see it but I don't really use the spas that much.

#8 User is offline   EnDYmiON Icon

• Account: endymion

Posted 07 May 2004 - 02:06 AM

I could have sworn the hit detection was done per pixel...not bounding box...

#9 User is offline   Wily Duck Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: wilyduck

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:36 AM

This isn't about just the SPAS, in fact as you stated 27 I guessed as much that only one person took the hit in the console.

I still do not understand how individual bullets can be lost amongst multiple opponents standing together.

#10 User is offline   Shiza Icon

• Account: shiza

Posted 12 May 2004 - 05:11 PM

Your theory sounds logical to me wily.

You have more knowledge of how this game works than I do, due to your experience with mapping, but, as a programmer myself, the scenario that you suggested seems to be a likely one to me.

Maybe 27 could shed some light on the issue.

(It's funny how quickly a thread can change topics...gg adhd video game geeks)

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942