Urban Terror Forums: Hard drive and Raid Problem. Please help. - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Hard drive and Raid Problem. Please help. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ghozt (old) Icon

• LocationDelaware, USA

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:24 AM

OK Ive exhausted all searches on google with not much luck.. Right now my only bootable system in a Linux box..
Alright First of I got blue screened, damn Hal.dll is preventing windows to load, OK NP Just copy it to a floppy and use windows xp cd recovery console.. Yeah right, Access Denied. You have to be in windows to set a "group policy" it seems..

Then I said OK lets add a disk and install windows to it, well I couldn't get it to boot to that disk so I messed with some setting in my ht370 raid controller to make the added disk "boot"
Now the Raid array is broken, WTF.. damnit.
Still couldn't boot from the added drive after that, so I tried a different 4th drive with no luck.

Then I said OK lets try and recover the raid array by adding the 3rd and 4th disk to recreated the raid array as a raid 0+1 well it didn't work, But now after removing all the drives and trying to use the 3rd and 4th disk to boot and install winxp as a regular IDE setup neither drive exists after a Fdisk, when I go to format them the C: drive doesn't exist, no drives detected in the system.. wtf!

I have the disks that came with the drives and have tried to use the manufacturer's utilities with no luck, the drives are detected and formatted with the util but after reboot nothing!

So did the raid controller mess up the drives or am I missing something here with fdisking it also i did fdisk /mbr and that doesn't help either.. So maybe I need a 3rd part application? If so does anyone want to contact me about "hint" helping me find a "legit" copy..

Now were back to my original raid 0, some how I have recreated the raid 0 without even knowing it. but back to the original hal.dll error, How the hell can i replace that file in c:windowssystem32

You cant access a NTFS drive through dos? grrr!

Also I locked my keys in my wife's car, and my truck broke down.. damn fuel pump went, 289$ just for parts!
Please Help me at least recover my data and hard drives!

#2 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:37 AM

Linux Live CD's can prolly get you access to your NTFS disk...

dunno much about the rest.

#3 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:21 AM

There's a thing called NTFSDOS from SysInternals, it was free IIRC but a bit of a pain when I tried to help a friend salvage some data from a drive setup for NT4.. I was running Win98SE at the time.

#4 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:52 AM

Linux Live CD's can prolly get you access to your NTFS disk...

he wouldnt be able to write. unless therere new developments the way to write to ntfs with it is to first create in windows a file of a size you need and then mount it.

#5 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

he wouldnt be able to write. unless therere new developments the way to write to ntfs ...
there are. 2.6 does it, but it's experimental. there are also other ntfs drivers like http://freshmeat.net/projects/captive/ which people seem to trust.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:40 PM

ye, unless sth changed, 2.6 does it only on a file thats already made on windows and mounted on linux, provided the module is compiled with the option. i didn't know about the other method but i guess it won't be on all live cds.

btw, using windows .sys drivers directly on linux seems to get common , i have a wireless usb card working great with such a method.

#7 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:49 PM

ndiswrapper supports .sys drivers, yes.

My linux can easily both read/write NTFS... dunno how exactly (the details), but it can :P

#8 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:18 AM

yes, it is ndiswrapper, i confirm

:-D

#9 User is offline   ghozt (old) Icon

• LocationDelaware, USA

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:56 AM

well my Linux boot up on on a whole different box, not as a dual boot so this PC cannot read from the other's hard drive. And cant swap the drive over to this PC due to it being a raid 0 array.  I have tired a few different ntfs bootloaders/disks with no luck also.

I guess I could just worry about fixing my other 2 drives and doing a regular ide ata100 fat32 or ntfs install of windows if I could ever get one of these drives to finally be recognised to format it after I partition it, as of now the drive after fdisk and creating the partition I reboot and then format c: but it still says C: is not a valid drive.
If I just boot from the windows CD and then choose to create or delete and format using fat32 or NTFS after its done the format it says an error has occurred (does this on both drives, but before I tried to add them into my raid 0 to make it a raid 0+1 the drives worked great, and they are both fairly new drives..)

#10 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:38 PM

The point of Linux Live CD's is that you can use them on any PC without having to install it. It runs from CD-rom/RAM. That makes it perfect for rescue operations.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942