• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

mandriva 2007, xgl,compiz, beryl Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Frea]{ (old) Icon

• LocationBrussels, Belgium

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:27 PM

i just read some stuff about mandriva 2007 and it kinda made me horny. i think ill download the mandriva 2007 powerpack dvd to try it out. My plan is to get rid of windows definitively (seeing the quantity of crap windows vista will bring) (i think i don't care anymore about games on pc anyway... waiting for the nintendo Wii  :-D)...  but id like some of your thoughts ( like it ? dont ? why? ) about it if some of u already tried it.
also i have a amd athlon 64bit 3000+ and not sure if installing the 64 bit version is a good idea?
thx for sharing infos  :mrgreen: .

#2 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:20 PM

Theres some applications not yet ready for 64bits.... like flash and some codecs.

I have an nvidia card and the latest nvidia drivers + ubuntu edgy (with xorg 7.1) let me use Beryl (new name for compiz) without having to run XGL/Aiglx seperately (makes installation very easy). This is how Beryl looks: (250MB movie) http://www.saguratus...xgl/xgl-kde.avi

I also noticed that there's really no reason to stay with windows. Theres no application that I use which requires windows.

#3 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:09 AM

{ link=topic=6790.msg86839#msg86839 date=1163701635]My plan is to get rid of windows definitively

i personally keep them on purpose for occusionally running games on it (other apps i can do on a virtual machine).

#4 User is offline   Frea]{ (old) Icon

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:10 AM

ok , after a few weeks of testing , im really happy with mandriva 2007, its such a pleasure. evrything (multimedia, print/file sharing, etc) works better than with PClinux or ubuntu ( at least on my comps).

i tried beryl , its really amazing compared to compiz but i have a little probleme i couldnt fix yet, window decorations are not working because the nvidia-settings tool stuck the color depth at 32 and emerald-theme for beryl needds 24 bit colors, and i found no way to change to 24 yet (even with the defaultcolordepth 24 in Xorg.conf).  Tried to to change to 16 and 8 (24 not even listed) but the tool doesnt seem to save the changes either.. .  anyway im already happy with compiz  :mrgreen:

and i cant get rid of win xp yet on my newer comp i need dual boot linux/win xp, because it has a soundblaster x-fi sound card and creative has not made any driver for it yet, and didnt want to give the card specs to a.l.s.a. project. there will prolly be some drivers in the second quarter of 2007 . am reallly disapointed such a big company is not supporting linux users correctly  :x

ill try urt on the 3d desktop when i got some time, im curious to see how it runs.

#5 User is offline   Frea]{ (old) Icon

Posted 25 December 2006 - 09:46 AM

ok, all fixed , beryl 1.3 works wonder with nvidia drivers and no need for xgl anymore(urt works fine now too !), thx for the help woekele  :-D

[me="Frea]{"]still wants x-fi drivers[/me]
/me stares at creative.com

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:14 PM

I'm running gentoo linux again, but now on my intel mac (with ati). Have a debian pc with nvidia and xorg+beryl but it seems on my geforce3 quake3 fps suffer a bit when using composite. As for pc games, warcraft 3, starcraft, doom 3 and quake 3 work perfectly on linux for me which leaves my windows just for virtual pool atm :)

On my ati xgl quake3 loads ok, but all textures in-game are messed up.

btw, how did you fix the window manager loading ? Cause there are a few ways to do this but the cleanest seems to use recent nvidia drivers which allow the textrure_from_pixmap extension which is what beryl wants. I got my nvidia beryl working by adding some option for nvidia in the xorg.conf.

#7 User is offline   |s|smurfy (old) Icon

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:23 PM

iv just installed beryl on a ubuntu edgy install, but i get beryl effects in Quake 3..... this obviously slows quake 3 down to a point where its unplayable and looks a bit funky with it distroing the screen. This is not meant to happen is it?

Anyone know of any solutions?

#8 User is offline   MrSentry Icon

• Account: mrsentry
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:26 PM

you should have a gui panel to turn off the desktop effects. at least SuSE 10.2 does. it comes standard.
beryl,xgl +urbanterror = 10FPS

beryl is actully running 2 Xwin  servers.

#9 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:33 PM

beryl is actully running 2 Xwin  servers.

Only if you use XGL to run beryl on, you run 2 x-servers. If you use the nvidia driver + beryl, it's just 1.

And indeed, you get a nice little manager, that allows you to switch between beryl and the default manager.

#10 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:35 AM

aaah the irony... I was fixing beryl on an ubuntu edgy at a friend's place and while looking around for some info I came across some forum (no, not this one) where woekele was telling people what to do :)

I think woekele is Bill Gates spying on all of us  :evil:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942