Urban Terror Forums: Why Urban Terror still has a little way to go... - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Why Urban Terror still has a little way to go...

#1 User is offline   [HV]Mentor (old) Icon

Posted 10 March 2007 - 04:41 PM

Hey guys.

Some of you might remember me and most of you probably wont. Does not matter anyhoot.

I've been away for a few years but suddenly felt a need for the Urban Terror adrenalin rush again.

Things have changed a bit since I last played Urban Terror. People have become slightly more comfortable with the grenades and the sr8 and these things seem like some of the biggest game disurbances in the present form of Urban Terror. As you might know House Valhalla and I have always been known for our no-camping strategy on both public servers but also in clanwars (important as unimportant wars).  I know I am probably not as fast as I once was (.. if I ever was fast ..), but something annoying  happened the other night. It reminded me why I stopped playing this game, that I once was so dedicated to. I was playing on a 16 player server and the map was Casa. The opposing team consisted of around 6 snipers and 2 automatics and they were all carrying 2 grenades. Imagine the first minute of each round. People threw grenades at alley timbers, gate, narrow, main square and found nice little spots with their sr8's. It was really really hard to attack within the first minute due to all the explosions - and honestly, why sit and wait that minute again and again and again and again. It just doesnt make sense.

So what is the real problem?
I dont really think the sr8 is that off. However I do feel the damage needs a bit of tweaking, but its not my real concern. The problem is the grenades combined with the sr8. You should really consider reducing the 2 grenades to 1 grenade only and see what impact that has on the game. My guess is that it will add more speed to the game and reduce the camping - or at least make it easier to attack very defensive players. Its always been easier to run backwards or standing still than running forward and attacking. If you give both sides an equal chance, the campers can camp and the attackers can attack and nobody will have an advantage superior to the other.

I know this has been up a billion times and you can ignore it or listen to it - or it might already be changed something in 4.0. I just wanted to share my point of view even though I am not longer on the QA team.

Last a shoutout to the developers. It really is a great game and many of us appreciate the time you've spent the last many years. So thank you :)

#2 User is offline   Snoppis (old) Icon

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:36 PM

yo mentor  :-D :-D

so ur still alive hehe

about ur little "problem"

when u play on a public in 3.7 with 16 players like u did...ofc its gonna be issues....very few maps are good with 16 players on it, in team survivor.

in 4.0 u cant throw nades over the roof on maps like tp/casa etc anymore ...which makes a huge difference.

There is also a great hitcode now so u dont get frustrated to death.

#3 User is offline   [HV]Mentor (old) Icon

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:44 PM

Hey Snoppis (din fit! :)

Grenades above houses are a good thing imo. To get those nasty patio campers :)
I know 16 players are many - and too many on maps as tp, casa, abbey etc.
The problem will still occur with 5 players if everyone has 2 grenades. It makes the game extremely slow.. wait wait wait .. clear!

Looking forward to 4.0.

(...who invented that grenade above roof thing anyway? ..:P)

#4 User is offline   Naked Assassin (old) Icon

• LocationScotland

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

Hi Mentor. I tend to be an "all out attack" kinda player - I actually took my style from playing against [HV] back in the day, particularly a 2v2 with you and Thumber on Turnpike, I'll never forget you bounding round the blue flag corner and headshooting me before I had even passed the jeep!!

Anyway, I know where you are coming from here but I also think the nades are fine as they are, and as I understand it they do the same damage in 4.0 as they do just now.

More has been done to redress the balance in other weapons (particularly snipers v autos) and you will see a difference in that, as well as the speed of the gameplay.

I hope to see you and the other HV guys around soon after the release.

#5 User is offline   [HV]Mentor (old) Icon

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:51 PM

Hey there Naked Assasin :) Its been a while.

I really do think the nades are an issue - especially on public servers and thats pretty much where urban terror is atm.
I dont mind taking on 3-4 guys at the pillars on turnpike - but they just nade the hell out of that place. Many players arent even good, but everyone can spam nades from a distance. Thats boring isnt it?

Looking forward to see that 4.0 update soon. Hope it makes this near-perfect mod perfect :)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Muffie Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: muffie

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:24 AM

I hate people who use grenades improperly! The people who just spam at the beggining wasting there nades and hoping to get a kill, why can't people use them the right way!?!?!

#7 User is offline   AKGRIZZLY (old) Icon

• LocationAlaska

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:42 AM

I just don't see what could be done programming-wise to make any difference about nade spamming at the beginning of a round.  If you can't appeal to those players that it's lame they won't stop.  It's a people thing.  So I don't really agree that the game has any farther to go in that particular respect. 

If it were reduced to one nade I guess that could put a damper on it somewhat but I see it as sort of a price not worth paying.  UrT is fast and boingy and spammy, I think of two nades as an appropriate number.

#8 User is offline   MaxiM (old) Icon

• LocationPoland

Posted 11 March 2007 - 04:58 PM

I hate people who use grenades improperly! The people who just spam at the beggining wasting there nades and hoping to get a kill, why can't people use them the right way!?!?!
Exactly! It's not the nades problem, it's lame ppl problem. Grenades are tactital weapon, but some still choose to just spam them in the beggining, instead uf using them in the right moment (to kill/scare a camper i.e.) :roll:

#9 User is offline   [HV]Mentor (old) Icon

Posted 11 March 2007 - 06:16 PM

If its a "people" problem or another problem of some sort doesnt matter to me. There is a problem - why not fix it the only way we can? Reduce the amount of grenades or change them in some way.

#10 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 11 March 2007 - 06:18 PM

well, instead of hurting players it could size them up (kinda like the mushrooms/cookies in alice in wonderland). players would be an easy target then ;)

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942