Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Router Advice Needed Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Nationalist Icon

• Account: nationalist

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:27 PM

I've been using a wired Linksys router, as a hardware firewall, for about 3 years. I need to replace it with a wireless router because of some building work that has taken place at home, but I don't know which one to buy. Can anyone recommend a Wireless router that won't lose the signal to my PC, and is known to work well for gamers?

#2 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:30 PM

linksys are good makes for home use, they are now same company with cisco that makes probably the best professional routers.

btw, don't worry about lag, if the signal is good (usually by being close to the router, 2-3 rooms away or less) it plays like wired.

#3 User is offline   Nationalist Icon

• Account: nationalist

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:48 PM

Can you recommend a model?

#4 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:52 PM

no

#5 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:31 AM

guess the WRT54G series would be a good choice (http://en.wikipedia....s_WRT54G_series)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:00 AM

i may get a 'WAG200G-EU WIRELESS-G ADSL'.

#7 User is offline   AKGRIZZLY (old) Icon

• LocationAlaska

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:57 PM

guess the WRT54G series would be a good choice (http://en.wikipedia....s_WRT54G_series)

I have been anti-wifi for a few years and I'm now coming around and adding it to my own network as well as a couple at work, and I'd say this is the unit to have. 

Linksys is now part of Cisco and they have beefed up the functionality of these soho routers so you can do all sorts of cool nerdy stuff with them like VPN tunneling and individual port level access control and on and on and on. 

I just added one to my network a home as a bridge into the wired side and it works great.  It creates a wifi hotspot about 200 ft in diameter and you can also add aditional units and expand your wifi zone by bridging which is thoroughly supported and easy to setup. 

Just remember to use the WPA-PSK security and not WEP and don't make wimpy Pre Shared Keys and people will pass you by when they are trying to steal access in favor of a more noobed setup that's easy to log into.  I recommend disabling UpNP personally.  Also, I made a point to buy the wifi cards from linksys and I stick with the Linksys PCMCIA cards for my notebooks, no silly USB wifi adapter stuff.

Another thing is the handy dandy pre-configured v-server port mappings which most like items have lately,  but this router just seems better than others like it I've had to deal with like Belkins and D-Links.

I got my wifi router for 60 or 70 USD which I consider a steal.  The PCMCIA card wifi NIC was 50 USD. iirc. 

Get it, it works great man. 

""and I'm free, to do what  I want, any ole' time""

#8 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:25 PM

i may get a 'WAG200G-EU WIRELESS-G ADSL'.

btw

looks great. (plus the improvement in stability(and even value) of ping compared to an ancient usb modem i was using is extraordinary).

#9 User is offline   Naked Assassin (old) Icon

• LocationScotland

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:43 AM

I just changed ISP. My new ISP sent out a Netgear Super Wireless-G 108 Mbps wireless router which was OK indoors but poor coverage in general. I bought a Netgear Wireless-N router - a DG834N RangeMax along with the RangeMax USB adapter...

Now I can get 5bar signals up to 50ft away in the garden.

The point is.... if you are going wireless - go for at least MIMO, or if you can afford it Wireless-N unless you live in a small house.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942