• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Stop Yellin Cheater!!!

#11 User is offline   -DarkMatter- (old) Icon

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:51 AM

just to back up my statments a passage from nda 1 of urt's first coders:

Botkiller founded "urbanterror" I think around late 99. Originally it was meant as realism map pack for quake3 and just the machinegun was used. Hence mappers such as Gerbil famous for his ActionQuake2 maps and other mappers / texture artists were the original team. Although it quickly changed to being a total conversion. I think Oswald being into map reviews for aq2 hopped on board soon as well. I joined early 2000 coming from TerrorQuake2 mod, and UrT was just preparing for their beta1. Mostly the mod was meant to fill the ActionQuake2 gap for Quake3. There were quite some mods who tried to achieve this at the time, but most of them died quickly.

UrbanTerror 1.0 was released at the QuakeCon 2000 (August 2000). Lead coders were Dokta8, who almost ditched his phd thesis in favor of UrT, and GottaBeKD. Dokta8 and Oswald officially represented the team and had their talks with id. The weapon arsenal was very much oriented on action quake2 (pistol, carbine, sniper, shotgun, submachinegun, grenades, knife). Cept for the Beretta all guns were H&K, which was more of a coincidence than planned Wink The most different gun from regular ActionQuake2 was the HK69 grenade launcher. Famous maps were trainyard, docks, hotel, streets, village.. and that one warehouse map, whose name I forgot. Beta1 had like actionquake2 very fast gameplay, bleeding and so on was in as well, no stamina so. The key feature of urbanterror: "the ledge climbing" was in since beta1 as well. The follow up releases brought bug fixes and new maps I think. 1.27 was released December 2000. The urbanterror song by BarBQ was extremely cool as well, and among many small things gave the whole mod for its first release a quite complete look. Coupled with the fact it was the first realism mod in such a complete state, and that the other mods died or moved to half-life, urbanterror was growing quickly. Still CounterStrike and ActionQuake2 were still around, and CS had insane growing rates. Nevertheless urt did quite well within the quake3 community.
Crew: Dokta8, GottaBeKD (code) FreakStorm, Miles, FearMe, Flux, Jake2D (textures) EarthQuake, me (models/animations) Botkiller, Gerbil, Battlecow, WetWired, NrGizer (mapping), Preacher, BarBQ (sound)

UrbanTerror 2.0 began development already before 1.27 release I think. The team was growing quickly. Key members added were Sweetnutz for GUI, Apoxol for code and of course BladeKiller with all her sexy skins. 2.0 was a complete revolution. The crew had gained experience and collected an extremely high amount of talented people. This resulted in the game having superior graphics and effects at the time it was released (June 2001), and the game looked on par as commercial titles. Gameplay wise the biggest shift was towards more realism. Stamina was added and linked to health. The whole game got slower and more tactical. New gamemode was FollowTheLeader. During development objective based missions were actually intended as well (such as Enemy Territory later did), hence certain maps were designed for such gameplay in mind (ut_revolution). However due to time constraints those plans were put on ice. With the gameplay change there was quite a big break with the 1.27 fast-paced community, nevertheless 2.0 was extremely successful, and I think patched the same day it was released or so Wink. A swedish game studio helped quality testing a lot, there were even tests with id software. Apoxol was doing lots of technical additions (the infamous lag compensation and ARIES, along with particle effects), taking holidays just to finish 2.0. A lot of work and dedication was going on from all team members, pushing their portfolios, so that the development cycle wasnt too long (just half year after 1.27)
2.3 was released, one year later after 1.0, at Quakecon 2001. It featured a mappack, which shipped the famous ut_casa. With the mappack more mappers were added to the team as well (I think) Tub who had already done community maps in 1.x days, now joined the team (or had already in 2.0 ??). 2.3 was the most popular release and at the highest player numbers. However after 2.3 many members left,Apoxol, a bit later Dokta8, Sweetnutz, Meaty, Odd... many of them got jobs in the games industry. TwentySeven took over the leadcoder role after a transition phase which saw many coders working on urt (Iain,Thaddeus...). He and Density fixed up stuff until 2.6a (which came out November 2002). Several mappacks were released inbetween. I think Invis, DotExe, RabidCow and Dragonne contributed a lot at that time, and the latter three were team members. The AK was added in some 2.x release (I think 2.6) along with TwentySeven's minimap, which greatly helped teamplay. Skins, models and maps were also going under constant improvement. I think towards the end of 2.x more "community" invited Quality Assurance was going on lead under BladerKiller.
2.x kinda saw the split of the community of TeamSurvivor vs CTF. Which was a problem for the game balance and gameplay in total, having to work for both. I think TwentySeven also introduced the map locking stuff, so that maps could have different layouts for different gamemodes.
Crew: lots of changes within the series, some of 1.x left and some were added: Tub, Sweetnutz, Apoxol, BladerKiller, dotEXE, towards the end of 2.x Density TwentySeven, Dragonne, QueenBee, RabidCow

3.0 was prepared for Quakecon 2002, but with the team having lots of personal fluctations its actual release was shifted multiple times. Again more objective oriented stuff was discussed, and finally the bombmode added, along with the NEGEV (yes blame me). 3.0 originated from the 2.7 release, which never came. 3.0 was released at Quakecon 2003 (August), two years after 2.3. As I have left team before 3.0 came out, my details are now just as bad as everyone who followed the news. In January 2004 the port to EnemyTerritory was announced, and actually really being worked at (there were versions running on ET). But "plans changed" (quoting oswald). Despite the announcement of 3.3, which came in February 2004, being the last Quake3 version, many follow up releases came, almost monthly ending with 3.7 in July 2004. SID became FrozenSand, working on a side project running on enhanced ET engine, this I think sucked away the power to do the ET port, as the team became quite small over the years.
crew: http://www.urbanterr...ual/credits.htm

However they still managed to do 4.0 as released lately (April 2007), which finally brought the long awaited standalone release, along with numerous due revisions (simplified collision, new player models..). It started as mappack release, initiated by Tub and grew into the biggest release since 2.0. I think Invis finally became teammember within the 4.0 developmet cycle (or even within 3.x), something which was overdue as well, with him contributing a lot over the years. Although my personal opinion is that without BladeKiller the development wouldnt have gone much beyond 3.x, she became the ultimate workhorse of the team. Nevertheless of course all former and present members have had their share of work.

#12 User is offline   Sinni Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: sinni

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:22 AM

That was a pretty good read DM.  Brought back some old memories from my early days of UT.

#13 User is offline   -DarkMatter- (old) Icon

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:49 AM

:-D

#14 User is offline   Phantomas71 Icon

• Account: phantomas71

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:57 AM

"UrbanTerror 1.0 was released at the QuakeCon 2000 (August 2000)"

which means almost 7 years (on 5th august).

hallllloooooooooooooo?

That was a pretty good read DM.  Brought back some old memories from my early days of UT.

take a look on this old thread too:
http://www.forums.ur...pic,8043.0.html

#15 User is offline   -DarkMatter- (old) Icon

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:44 PM

Botkiller founded "urbanterror" I think around late 99. Originally it was meant as realism map pack.i played thoughs maps so stay with me guy =) . 99' to 2007 is 8 years ty come again.gooing to 2008 thats the 9th is your math that bad?
And i said 8-9 meaning about that long.Still this was way off topic ty come again........

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:53 PM

ye ok, you all play from the middle ages. so what. you're going to fight over it?

#17 User is offline   MerkyMerc Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: merkymerc

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:24 PM

hahahah  :lol: I played from 3.7  :-P

#18 User is offline   -DarkMatter- (old) Icon

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:43 PM

lol :lol:

#19 User is offline   Phantomas71 Icon

• Account: phantomas71

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:50 PM

ye ok, you all play from the middle ages. so what. you're going to fight over it?

ye who fuckin cares about years of play

#20 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:15 PM

hahahah  :lol: I played from 3.7  :-P

me too.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942