• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

walljumping and gaming Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Wily Duck Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: wilyduck

Posted 20 May 2004 - 12:11 AM

I had to open this thread because I've talked about it so much with my friends. I'm very impressed.

SID, I don't know what you were thinking, cause honestly I wouldn't have believed it until I seen it. Walljumping is not just a welcome addition to Urban Terror, but to fps games in general.

I've wondered how a fps game like Metroid Prime could incorporate certain side-scrolling moves into a 3D world. Take a move like walljumping for instance... that has now been solved. Some may take this for granted, but something that seems so simple really deserves credit. I don't play many other games, but I do know that the walljumping technique you've introduced to UrT should be an example to other fast paced fps action games.

FSK405 a wily duck

#2 User is offline   TwentySeven Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Engine Developer
  • Account: twentyseven

Posted 20 May 2004 - 01:49 AM

Gee, thats really flattering.

Just wish we were first.

Ut2k3 beat us to it though :)

Although our implementation is a little strange compared to their doubleclick no strafe method.

#3 User is offline   Ranzor (old) Icon

Posted 20 May 2004 - 03:01 AM

I think wall jumping is great. It is not like it lets you do anything that the other players can't do. You can only jump of a wall 3 times so it keeps it from being insanely powerful. I think its a another great feature that sets UT apart from the other realism based games.

#4 Guest_mesnee23

Posted 20 May 2004 - 05:09 AM

i wonder how many people on the dev team have played thps with wallgrinding and jumps. REALLY is very similar...still an excellent addition

#5 User is offline   StonedLemming (old) Icon

• LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 20 May 2004 - 06:21 AM

Yeah,its great.

Nothing confuses your enemy more then bouncing of 2 walls,landing behind em and put that pretty DE to the back of their head! :twisted:

Not to mention reaching insane speeds!

And,if you walljump of a guy and keep aiming at him with your knife in hand(ofcourse),you kick him.

Looks incredibly cool! 8)

BTW:did anybody try speeding up your flagcarrier by kicking him in the back?

Great fun,just be carefull you dont kick em to death.

<3 SID <3

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Donner (old) Icon

• LocationMelbourne - Australia

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:38 AM

BTW:did anybody try speeding up your flagcarrier by kicking him in the back?

Great fun,just be carefull you dont kick em to death.

<3 SID <3

No, but in older versions I was booted ahead of my freshly spawned team in TS. Had to wait for them to catch up. :P

#7 Guest_Psyche911

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:08 AM

It's....interesting to say the least.
I was trying to shoot a guy in the upper center hallway in provinggrounds today, and he did a double walljump while it was going on. Made him pretty hard to hit. lol

The best use I've found for it though, is on Laneway (not that I choose to play that map :P ). The upper left side when on red, just after the roof with the air-conditioning units, how you used to not be able to get up where the wooden fence is. You'd have to run up the stairs in the front and risk the enemy seeing you. Now you can jump off the back wall and climb up. Makes it easy to pick off the blue guys while they're sniping/camping. heh

I am having to re-learn how to jump though. I used to press jump, and let go real fast, and if I wanted to grab on, I'd press it again. Well, if I do that now, I jump when I get to where I want to grab, and usually lemming. lol
Just gotta train myself to HOLD jump. ;)

#8 Guest_rustytnt

Posted 20 May 2004 - 05:26 PM

I don't like it much; It flings me back off walls I am trying to climb and makes me splash in the water if I come up against a rock/wall etc when I don't wish to make a noise.

#9 User is offline   EnDYmiON Icon

• Account: endymion

Posted 20 May 2004 - 06:28 PM

press Jump and hold it down.

#10 User is offline   mrp (old) Icon

• Locationuk

Posted 20 May 2004 - 07:04 PM

have u tried grabbing onto a wall ur stood right next to? :|

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942