• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Looking to buy new cpu Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MerkyMerc Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: merkymerc

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:29 AM

I am confined to having to use LGA 775 socket cpus. I was wondering if anyone knew what the best processor I could get for this socket is, gaming wise. I'm currently on a P4 HT 3.2ghz with 800mhz FSB.

#2 User is offline   AKGRIZZLY (old) Icon

• LocationAlaska

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:50 AM

As far as I can tell w/o digging up exact info is that it'll take up to a p4 3.8 gig chip. 

I'm running a 3.2 with HT in mine and.....well I like it, but that's coming from someone who milked a p3 733 for every last calc it was worth till this year not counting a brief stint on a 2.8 celeron that just did nothing but tick me off, for what that's worth there you go. 

You must however do your homework before you buy a new chip for it, also this particular unit is very touchy when it comes to removing/replacing a chip so do be very careful when you pop the hood.

#3 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist
  • Locationseahorse seahell

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:35 PM

im running on a 3.8ghz (thats not overclocked) socket 775 p4 and it pwns. dont waste money on quad cores they are so much overrated.

but you CPU looks fine right now, but if you srsly think it needs upgrade then i say go ahead for the 3.8 celeron.

#4 User is offline   MerkyMerc Icon

•   verified donor   

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:31 AM

well, to be honest I'm not too sure. I'm curious mostly for other games like doom 3 and quake 4 (for the single player of course, we all know how terrible multiplayer can be with those). I can so far, get an average of 45 fps in doom 3 while running ultra but only at 800x600 resolution. I have only a gig of ram, a 512mb radeon with my agp aperture set to 512mb, and have systematically tweaked my system to as far as I believe I currently can - software wise. My goal is to either have this average of 45 fps at 1024x768 OR to have a constant 60 fps at 800x600. I don't care for the resolution so much so I want the second choice. Now I'm not sure If I need more ram, a faster hard drive, or a cpu that is more efficient than I currently have (OR a mixture of all 3 of those things), in order to achieve that.  all I could get were other opinions on the ram side of it, everyone said at higher amounts of ram it really wouldn't make too much of a difference. So I'm stuck at a fork in the road with the HD and CPU I suppose.

#5 User is offline   AKGRIZZLY (old) Icon

• LocationAlaska

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:38 AM

What display adapter do you run?  Is there room in your system for improvement there? 

I'd say get the best vid card your machine can gag down and then test the various 3d games you want to play on it before you buy anything else. 

More RAM wouldn't hurt your situation surely, but I doubt you'll see better frame rates out of it honestly, dunno could help I guess.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:46 AM

i have both quake 4 and doom 3.

i can run doom 3 on best quality and it gives me fair FPS, i expierence no lag. when i play quake 4, i play on the highest quality settings and it only lags in the middle of movies and like in-game movies (like when your getting outa the strog base and you go thru that strog hostpital and your team mate gets killed by that strog doctor that flys) or when there is alot of enemies in the nearby radius, they are all shooting and some of the lighting in the movies is choppy.

my specs:

3.8ghz intel celeron socket 775

512mb GeForce 6600 VE PCIe

1.5GB RAM

80gb SATA hardrive. i dont know its RPM but i bought it around christmas last year, so im guessing its fair.

you can also download game ripping tools so you can play the game without the disk, so it doesnt have to take the time to load anything from the CDs.

--

I played my PC on FEAR. i thot it would run perfect but it had some serious lag due to the bombardment of enemies. framerates took a huge hit and parts of the game. since my computer is better than what alienware was back then i somehow wonder why that game sponsored a machine that would suck at performance.

#7 User is offline   MerkyMerc Icon

•   verified donor   

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:37 PM

I'm currently running with all the pak files extracted into the base folder except for the pak000 and since I've started this I've noticed my framerate going from around 30-40fps all the time, to 45-60 all the time. I love it when it's at 60, it feels perfectly smooth. When it drops down though, I do notice a little more lag in the mouse. Using in_mouse -1. and at very intense battles, sometimes it will have that little choppy effect to it but goes aways the quicker I kill all the enemies. Now I could lower my graphics settings and keep a constant 60, but I must attain some knowledge as to what I can do to run ultra, perfectly. I'm starting to think about another vid card, but I currently can't get one because I planned on buying a whole new PC with a much better card, while leaving the current one as is for others to multiplay with me. I gotta wait months for that. So I'm here on the chance, that maybe, in the meantime, there is something of smaller price that I can upgrade to achieve that.

#8 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:27 AM

i was planning on updating my crap PC which i use for the internet and since its basically mush i would have to buy a totally new PC. i went to tigerdirect about a week ago and found the cheapest best stuff. it ended up looking like this:

case:
PowerUp Black AK-21 ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front USB and Audio Ports
TC3J-4502

cpu $49.99 - WOW really good price
ntel Celeron D 360 Processor - 3.46GHz, 512KB Cache, 533MHz FSB, Cedar Mill-512, OEM, Socket 775, HH80552RE09951, Processor
CP2-CID-360

cpu fan
Masscool 8W501B1M3G / Socket 775 / Intel Prescott / Copper Core / CPU Cooling Fan
S457-1036

motherboard
Abit IB9 Intel Socket 775 ATX Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express / Gigabit LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA
A458-1160

power supplement
Power Up / 450-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / PCI-E-Ready / 24-Pin / Power Supply
GEN-2005

ram
Transcend 1024MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz Memory
T555-5012

video card
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT / 512MB DDR2 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / DVI / VGA / HDTV / Video Card
G458-1016

go to tigerdirect and type in the item nums for the direct link to the items :)

but since the cpu isnt what you want you could always beef it up with a different one.

oh btw i ended up never buying it. i still dont got the $$$.

#9 User is offline   MrBecks (old) Icon

• Location/Germany/Lower Saxony/Hannover

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:19 PM

If you already spent money for a new pc go for a dual core cpu...

#10 User is offline   Juno Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: juno
  • Main tag: ~SG~

Posted 30 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

Yea, dual core cpu. If u want OC remember that Intels chipsets requires stronger (more expensive) RAM. So U can buy mobo with nvidia (680i) chipset.
IMO buying G80 series GPU has no sense. Especially 8500/8600 serie. These r weak. I u want to have play with new games buy 8800 GTS 640 MB, 320 MB version is too weak (generally GPU should have AT LEAST 512 MB memory for new games) or 7900 serie. Will be enough for ur requirements.. Mobos without SLi r cheaper. SLi requier stronger CPU. PSU 500 W is enough, but dont buy "nonames".

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942