• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

low pings only: the bug? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csan (old) Icon

• LocationBudapest

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:06 AM

This is not the first time that I am noticing this peculiar server behavior for this bug:

Sending heartbeat to master.quake3arena.com
Client 49 connecting with 400 challenge ping
Client 49 connecting with 3400 challenge ping
Client 49 connecting with 6400 challenge ping
Client 49 connecting with 9400 challenge ping
Client 49 connecting with 12400 challenge ping
Sending heartbeat to master.urbanterror.net

That might suggest a bug in ioquake3 (and thus in iourt) of counting pong time for the original packet(s).

I wonder if any other admin(s) have also noticed the same stuff on their servers.

#2 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:25 AM

that looks like the reason clients after the first 'full server' error, get 'it's for low pings'.

#3 User is offline   Csan (old) Icon

• LocationBudapest

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:53 AM

here's another proof:
on my autodl server this guy is autodownloading the brand new map I put on (ut_kingdom_b2):

Sending heartbeat to master.urbanterror.net
Sending heartbeat to master.quake3arena.com
Client 4 connecting with 250 challenge ping
Client 4 connecting with 3250 challenge ping
Client 4 connecting with 6250 challenge ping
Client 4 connecting with 9250 challenge ping
Client 4 connecting with 12250 challenge ping
Client 4 connecting with 15250 challenge ping
Client 4 connecting with 18250 challenge ping
Client 4 connecting with 21250 challenge ping
...and so on...

The difference between the timestamps is 3 seconds - that's the client's exact connection retry cycle length, innit?

#4 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 17 November 2007 - 01:00 PM

Yes, but is this behaviour specific to ioquake3? I think that's just the q3 protocol.

#5 User is offline   Onelane Icon

• Account: onelane

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:53 AM

I get this if I join some servers with a high ping in the all seeing eye and I am running IO client side, I jus figured they had it set that way on the server side.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   DJ Schuby Icon

• Account: djschuby

Posted 19 November 2007 - 02:13 AM

Don't know if this is revelent to this topic, but you guys know the Paladin Warriors TS server? Recently, I'd been trying to join it and I get a message that says "Server is for High pings only". Why would someone want to set a server for high pings only? Does anyone know who runs PW?

#7 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:22 AM

Yes, but is this behaviour specific to ioquake3? I think that's just the q3 protocol.

I'm quite certain it's also in id's q3.

#8 User is offline   Csan (old) Icon

• LocationBudapest

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:52 PM

Don't know if this is revelent to this topic, but you guys know the Paladin Warriors TS server? Recently, I'd been trying to join it and I get a message that says "Server is for High pings only". Why would someone want to set a server for high pings only? Does anyone know who runs PW?

It could be that the owner of the server is a HPB and he doesn't want LPBs on his/her own server (owning him/her) :)

#9 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:23 PM

It could be that the owner of the server is a HPB and he doesn't want LPBs on his/her own server (owning him/her) :)

it's usually a LPB not allowing HPBs. there's this rumour circulating that high pings own which is wrong especially considering urt also has antiwarp code which would wipe out even a warping advantage. there's also unlagged code which is very normal to produce a "shots around walls" effect when a lower ping is shot by a much higher ping though that's still not an advantage since the lower pings still have the benefit of seeing everything before others.

there's still another legitimate reason to not allow higher pings, to have a gameworld that behaves more normally, the above effects may make things feel weird.

i suppose one could do it also to deny access to people far from his home, not that nice if it's the only reason.

#10 User is offline   Csan (old) Icon

• LocationBudapest

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:46 PM

it's usually a LPB not allowing HPBs. there's this rumour circulating that high pings own which is wrong especially considering urt also has antiwarp code which would wipe out even a warping advantage. there's also unlagged code which is very normal to produce a "shots around walls" effect when a lower ping is shot by a much higher ping though that's still not an advantage since the lower pings still have the benefit of seeing everything before others.

there's still another legitimate reason to not allow higher pings, to have a gameworld that behaves more normally, the above effects may make things feel weird.

i suppose one could do it also to deny access to people far from his home, not that nice if it's the only reason.

d00d, how about reading the posts again? :mrgreen:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942