• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Uptown and Ramelle (Rommel) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Seven of Nine Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: sevenofnine
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:16 PM

I have gotten used to many of the change 4.0 and 4.1 brought, but back in 3.7 Rommel and Uptown were great maps. But with the changes they have undergone they are maybe my most disliked maps (probably due to that I still know what they used to be).

In my opinion Ramelle has been rendered utterly useless for CTF, now that there isn't a tunnel to the red base.

And uptown was good how it was, the spawns were in good places and the excessive use of ledges near the blue flag and side alley are quite irritating. The only good change is that the elevator(bug) was removed.

Not that I don't appreciate the effort of the development team, especially BladeKiller has put into these maps but is it possible to maybe release a version of both maps without the changes brought in 4.0 and 4.1? So that people can choose between the versions. (ut4_rommel and ut4_uptown2) :)

I was wondering if it's just me being stubborn and not accepting change, or if this opinion is shared with others in the community?

#2 User is offline   flinkaflenkaflrsk (old) Icon

• LocationNL

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:34 PM

Rommel with that backtunnel was fun. I do think back about those days. It gave you an extra way into the flag areas. I think it was quite nice to have those and I do miss them.

Uptown has never been one of my favs however the wall thing now is not a good change I think this is already discussed in a different topic so wont go into that a lot.

#3 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:36 PM

In my opinion Ramelle has been rendered utterly useless for CTF, now that there isn't a tunnel to the red base.

Wasn't this tunnel already gone in 4.0?

Edit: n/m, read it wrong.

Edit2: By the way, the 3.7 uptown .map is not available, BK had to start working on an older version of it.

#4 User is offline   Slicey (old) Icon

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:40 PM

I agree with you 7o9. Id love to have those maps back the way they were. The back tunnel in rommel was good fun. :-)

#5 User is offline   nemesis Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Tester
  • Account: nemesis

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

I have mixed opinions on rommel... Yes it's more balanced, but you do lose a route. *shrugs* Oh well... learn and evolve. :P

uptown CTF pre-4.0 sucked...

I agree with the implement of the spawn rooms and believe that they are a vast improvement over the chaos from before.  Although I think there were better places to implement them, it would call for major revamps and no ones going to rebuild it.  Why should they?  Its a dated map that wasn't intended for CTF.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Qster (old) Icon

• LocationMidlander

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:07 PM

I actually like the new uptown - not that i didn't like previous builds but after a few rounds its grown on me.

Rommel - the back tunnel did miff me at first but again its a short curve to finding new ways to attack open and closed bridges as a team. the one thing that does nark me is the random wall at the end of the open bridge - i understand why something was needed to try and add some cover but this 20ft wall (you can often find me on servers stood next to it banging my head repeatedly against it) can be a nightmare and a not so experienced team can get camped in hard by a couple of good snipers and an auto.

Anyhoo just my 2 cents I'm sure life will go on and we will all carry on regardless

much kudos

Q

#7 User is offline   Kr0m Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Forums Administrator
  • Account: kr0m

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:51 PM

An additional route above ground would be a nice addition. Maybe from Suze area to just past pernod on red side. As I understand it, this map is a real pain to work on so maybe something like this would be too much work or impossible without 'breaking' other things in the map.

#8 User is offline   don Icon

• Account: don
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:42 AM

Rommel has never, IMO, been a balanced map, or even a competition map. I always had fun playing on it on pubs, but hated playing it in matches.

Uptown is a good map, but it has too many FPS issues (newest one is the garden, which kills FPS) to be playable right now. The big wall in the blue spawn is just plain stupid. The 3 or 4 times I've played it on a CTF pub, blue has won. The defenders can sit behind the wall, safe from snipers anywhere (garage? nope. laundromat? nope.), then pop out and shoot flag runners, who can't even go straight to the ground over the ledge since it's a fall. I am sure an organized team in a match would not be overcome by a lone defender, but in pubs, it's easy to kill attackers. Plus you can even jump up on the wall to peak for snipers on the apartment. Too easy.

#9 User is offline   eya Icon

•   league admin   
    www.urban-zone.org
  • Account: eya
  • Main tag: UZ|admin

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:05 AM

ramelle - perfect now, imo. the extra tunnels made it too slow and campy, removing them made the map playable in pubs and quite fast. although the red side is a lot easier to defend once you've got somebody camped up on the roofs. on the other hand, the same can be done on the blue side, just never seen anybody do it

uptown - my only beef with this map is the... tadaaa... the wall in the blue spawn :) makes defending difficult. on the other hand, things like this just take time getting used to, I caught myself just yesterday actually using the wall to help me :) . I like the ledges, I like the way the wall blocks out window campers spamming blue spawn... the one thing I could do without are the ladders leading downstairs from both spawns... damn, do I get ambushed passing those :)

summary: I like the changes. actually, both maps are better now, or at least more interesting. gj :)

#10 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:36 PM

So 1 person says the wall makes it too difficult to defend, the other says it makes it too hard to defend. BK, please make your pick ;) Anyway, the wall has already been changed as suggested and screenshotted in another thread about it. Might wanna check that out.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942