• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

time nudge and lag Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   paelleon (old) Icon

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:10 AM

Is this still relevent?

Q1: ut_timenudge shouldn't be used if you don't get yellow bits on the upper line of the lagometer.

Q2: Huh? I thought you should use it when you have a sawlike green thing in the bottom of lagometer.

A: The top line represents the snapshots being processed and rendered by the client in 50msec intervals, controled by the 20 frames per second, or snapshots per second of sv_fps and snaps((1sec=1000msecs)/20=50). If the snaps processing is choppy, there's extrapolation(client prediction, creates hitting issues and affects general gameplay smoothness) represented by the yellow bits. A positive value of ut_timenudge instructs the client to wait more than 50msecs for processing the snapshots so the top line if you have noticed gets thicker when that var is used and then there are less chances for yellow. e.g. a value of 50 will make the top line twice as thick making too hard for yellow to pop up unless the connection is really screwed up. that also raises the "internal lag" of the game(with snaps/sv_fps at 20 and timenudge at 0, it's 50msecs) so, the var shouldn't be used unless there's a problem(yellow) or used at the lowest value that fixes the problem.

ps. maybe saw-like waves on the bottom line are an indication the top line is also screwed, or timenudge has a side effect to alter conditions related to the bottom line, I don't know. I'd like to know if there's more information.

Now I don't play online much because the ping is so very high, and I think that stuffs up the gameplay for other people too. I see no reason why they should suffer because I live in the dark ages ... I was thinking I could use this timenudge thingy, but if that stuffs up the gameplay for other users then I won't even try. What do you think? What can I do to improve my experience without buggering up everything for everyone else?

#2 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:22 AM

The internal lag inflicted from it is mostly affecting the player using it (in exchange for smoother gameplay and better hits (in case there are relevant networking issues)). In any way, lag of others is usually an advantage for those not having lag so I don't see the reason for so many complaining about it. There's this false roumor that lag = better which I think contributes.

#3 User is offline   paelleon (old) Icon

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:39 AM

So you are saying I can do anything and it won't affect the other people playing ...

Okay - so I'll try timenudge. Is there anything else I can do to smooth the gameplay with a 375 ping?

#4 User is offline   TwentySeven Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Engine Developer
  • Account: twentyseven

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:29 PM

ut_timenudge trades a slightly later view of the world for a smoother view.

Ie: if other players have a slight hitch to their movement, use a tiny bit of ut_timenudge.

That roughness will almost always show up as spikes in the green part of the netgraph.

#5 User is offline   Juno Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: juno
  • Main tag: ~SG~

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

Does it have any sense:
bind x "ut_weaptoggle grenade seta ut_timeNudge 0"
or
bind x "ut_weaptoggle grenade seta ut_timeNudge 0 seta ut_timeNudge 0"
i saw in friend's config?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   wastedscal (old) Icon

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:14 PM

Not at all; since ut_timenudge is by default at 0 I don't see the point to changing it to the same value (specially 2 times in the same bind! :?)
Unless he has his default ut_timenudge set to a different value than 0; it would make sense to change it (IF (s)he has a reason to change ut_timenudge at all that is) but still not 2 times like that, and I don't think that would change anything to his grenades behavior anyway.

I would assume he has other binds who set the value back to something else then.
Seems more than useless to me anyway.

It's like turning your airco to 20°C when it's already at 20°C each time you do something in the room.

#7 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:15 PM

Due to its mechanics changing it too often distorts gameplay (at the times changing it).

#8 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:51 PM

Posting too often on URT forums also distorts your reality (at the time of posting it).

#9 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:26 PM

Do you have something to contribute on what I said or just don't like the very fact that I posted?

#10 User is offline   paelleon (old) Icon

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:51 AM

Sorry to break up that potentially exciting battle of wits, but ...

I tried to play again this morning (my time) and as usual, the only servers with decent ping are private ones, or for low pings only (ha ha - that one always gets me); so I ended up on an sE CTF server. So, secure i the knowledge that ping doesn't affect other people, I started to struggle through it. Until one of the FOS clan, DeLaSoul kicked me. Now I'd ignore that, if I didn't know that I may get an answer from any FOS reps here. Was it because I was so laggy? So it does affect other's gameplay? Cause then I'll have to go back to not playing on pubs (not that I can really call it playing ... I die quite often, sometimes even before the muzzle flash ... the joys of lag)

Sorry to be labouring the point. But I really need to know if it buggers it up for everyone else.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942