• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IDEA: Multiple team CTF Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Roadkill (old) Icon

• Locationroyal.stockholm.se

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:18 PM

We were two clans challenging another clan at the same time and out of that this sprung out:

Imagine 4 teams, 4 flags and 16 players. You have - just as in CTF as we know it - to run and fetch the enemies flag and bring it home to yer own to get the cap. But, in this you have 3 other flags to choose from. Does this need huge maps? Not necessarily. Imagine a map shaped as a cross. Teams spawn in a "crossend" each. Voilá, balanced map.

Now, in a gametype as this, strategy and tactic would be far more important and waywinning. You can even team up with another team to bring the leading team down. But only one of the teams cooperating will earn from the capping.

And as defending team you have to keep very sharp all the time. Enemies running in all the time from here and there to fetch your beloved cloth strapped to a pole. In the meantime (if you are chilled) You can set out two teams chasing two flags. Say if you notice that one team doesn't defend too well, hey, set out that lone ranger, skilled enough to bring back the flag aloone, while two other run for a second flag. One kid stays and defends your piece of rag who sways nicely in the wind. Dynamics is the keyword in this. :)

We (yes, we are a few that thought this baby out in the prominent #HV channel :)) feel that this could bring FPS gaming up to a new level. It's original. It's fast and we don't claim this idea to be perfect. This is just a first idea of somthing that might rock the online gaming experience.

So just don't read and spout "IT WON'T WORK!". Think about it, consider the possibilities and post thoughts and suggestions. I am not saying that this would get into Urt, nor do we demand it. Maybe for a future SID project?

We also think that this would work in other gametypes as TS and TDM. Maybe also that serveradmins could set number of teams to 3 or 4. All to each and everyones liking.

Uh, that's what I could think of now. Thanks for your time :)

#2 Guest_Alkoholger

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:22 PM

nice idea, but I think you will have a hard time finding a server that can cope with that many players! Remember that most servers start acting weird already at 12 players!!

#3 User is offline   Tetrahydro (old) Icon

• Locationoxon uk

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:24 PM

its amazing the ideas that can spawn from each other, great plan, gets me thinking of the game speed... rush rush rush, that sounds a hoot.

and we still didnt get that game sorted huh!

#4 User is offline   mrp (old) Icon

• Locationuk

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:24 PM

damn .. i missed the peace pipe being passed around in #hv again :<

#5 User is offline   Roadkill (old) Icon

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:25 PM

Well, as said, if a server can't handle it, the admin set the no of teams to 3 with 4 players in each team. Voilá! And many servers run with 16 players and many of them runs just fine. If it's a DARN good server you could also run with 5v5v5v5. ET supports it most definately (if I remember correctly Enemy Territory supports up to 32v32, or was it 16v16?). :)

damn .. i missed the peace pipe being passed around in #hv again :<

How about you comment on the idea you silly brit ;)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   mrp (old) Icon

• Locationuk

Posted 25 May 2004 - 03:08 PM

well just sounds like a lot of work .. modifying maps, or even making new ones.. new flags, team skins .. scoreboard would have to be modified .. im sure theres other stuff too ;x ..

Think i pld smt like that in Q2, was fun ya.. dno how practical it is for urt tho .. Maybe initially i thought it was a little pie in a the sky ;z

#7 User is offline   ikcam (old) Icon

• LocationSLC, UT

Posted 25 May 2004 - 03:27 PM

That sounds like a blast. I wonder how much time would it take to create a 4 team CTF. We already know the SID team puts in a lot of time for us gamers.

#8 User is offline   Roadkill (old) Icon

Posted 25 May 2004 - 03:28 PM

well just sounds like a lot of work .. modifying maps, or even making new ones.. new flags, team skins .. scoreboard would have to be modified .. im sure theres other stuff too ;x ..

Think i pld smt like that in Q2, was fun ya.. dno how practical it is for urt tho .. Maybe initially i thought it was a little pie in a the sky ;z

Well, adding colour to two new flags, player skins and those things is the easy part I dare to say.

Yup, scoreboard would have to be modified. Dunno exactly how tricky that is. But I don't think it is THAT difficult.

More like new maps. I can't say that I feel that any of the maps as of today would fit a gametype like this. More squarelike maps, i.e. shrink sands, duplicate and twist one "layer" 90 degrees and you have a map that would fit the gametype. Other games have gametype oriented maps on a high level. So I don't think it would be so impossible to see it like that in UT aswell. :)

The biggest change would be codewise I think. The implementation of objects, to get them to work.

In the bottomline, yes, it would require a lot of work. But what about the benefit? A dynamic gametype. Fast, fun and furious. You can NEVER EVER relax. :)

I don't have any bigger hopes about SID implementing this, but I just HAD to post about it. If you never ask, you'll never know. (Oh, and Os, if you think the idea sucks, don't close it, just move it to R&R. I would like to see what kinda ideas that can come out of this, just out of curiosity. :))

That sounds like a blast. I wonder how much time would it take to create a 4 team CTF. We already know the SID team puts in a lot of time for us gamers.

TBH I have NO clue whatsoever. :D And yes, they do put in a lot of effort, which I am very thankful for. But just think about it. UT going MultiCTF. Something fresh, something original (Afaik). And they have it in their hands. :)

#9 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 25 May 2004 - 03:42 PM

All Im gonna say is that 3 and 4 team CTF did not go over well for Quake II.

#10 User is offline   Roadkill (old) Icon

Posted 25 May 2004 - 03:52 PM

All Im gonna say is that 3 and 4 team CTF did not go over well for Quake II.

Never played Q2. But does that by itself mean that it wouldn't work? (heh, so much for that "original" gametype eh? ;))

If thought and planning went to it, it might work, no? Could it be so that the type was before it's time? And maybe not look blindly on CTF, could it be implemented on other gametypes. Perhaps let a new one spring out? Maybe one object for all teams to retrieve? Or several, but not the CTF style (go into the other teams base, pick up something and retrieve it to your spawn).

And I'm interested in that experience Os. What didn't work too well? Was it the maps? The gametype itself? Or the multiple teams?

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942