Urban Terror Forums: Re: [Release] BigBrotherBot for ioUrT - Discussion Continued - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Re: [Release] BigBrotherBot for ioUrT - Discussion Continued Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:10 PM

i guess i'm looking for a concrete answer from xlr8or.  :-)

yes, or at least someone that has done it.

#12 User is offline   Kendle Icon

•   verified user   
    www.urban-zone.org
  • Account: kendle

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:38 AM

is B3 for linux only, or will it work with XP as well?  thanks.

I've got a Windows (2003) server and tried to get this bot working. Had to give up in the end as I just couldn't figure it out. I'm a good PHP programmer and know how to set up both LAMP and WAMP installations, but the instructions for setting up B3 bot just don't map to a Windows install.

If someone cleverer than me could write a Windows install guide I have a dedicated Windows box sitting there waiting ;)

#13 User is offline   flinkaflenkaflrsk (old) Icon

• LocationNL

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:29 AM

We have got it running on windows 2003 not a problem at all
but I heard from multiple peeps they have problems with setup you have to take into account it is an advanced tool

#14 User is offline   Xlr8or Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: xlr8or
  • Main tag: [*]

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:33 PM

It is a platform independent tool, so yes, it runs on windows too.

#15 User is offline   mindriot Icon

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:35 AM

It is a platform independent tool, so yes, it runs on windows too.

thanks for the reply.  i'll work on setting it up.  do you mind if i post here or PM you if i have questions?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Xlr8or Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: xlr8or
  • Main tag: [*]

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:12 AM

B3 Support issues are best discussed in the B3 forums. There's more experts that'll take a look at it and it's more frequently visited by me.

#17 User is offline   mindriot Icon

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:07 AM

If someone cleverer than me could write a Windows install guide I have a dedicated Windows box sitting there waiting ;)

i got it working on XP on 'the.$heila.Divine 4.1.io autodl'.  i'll see if i can't put together a guide in the coming weeks, as it was kinda tedious to get it all set up properly, as i have no mySQL or XML experience.  i did a few things that i had to backtrack on, and B3 wasn't reading from the right dirs even with the -c option.  i'm looking forward to customizing it and maybe adding a few of my own plugins. :-)

#18 User is offline   flinkaflenkaflrsk (old) Icon

• LocationNL

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:18 PM

I think the current manuals are quite extensive already:

http://b3.python-hos...wiki/BotInstall

and

http://www.bigbrotherbot.com/b3.html

#19 User is offline   mindriot Icon

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:29 PM

I think the current manuals are quite extensive already:

http://b3.python-hos...wiki/BotInstall

and

http://www.bigbrotherbot.com/b3.html

the first link has incorrect information.  the readme 'b3/docs/readme.txt' included in the source code is more clear and doesn't skip steps.  it's things like this that make the install confusing and take longer to decipher.

i agree that the manuals are extensive and i can see that a lot of time was spent on them.  regardless, it is not a tutorial.  as i said, for those of us who have no experience with mySQL or XML, it can be a tedious process.  for example, figuring this next step out is not trivial:

1. Create a database in MySQL for B3 to use. Create a user that has full permissions on this database for B3. 

Note: You could also do this by running the script b3/docs/b3-db.sql on MySQL, but don't forget to edit the password in that file first.

even if you want to use the script, you have to figure out how.  unless you notice that in the old manual (second link) the mysql command to do this is listed.

it assumes a certain level of comfort in digging into technical software like databases.  my idea is to provide this additional information with descriptions of exactly how to do each step, as well as basic mySQL commands to navigate around a database.  also, each plugin has decent info but some are not entirely clear.

these are some issues i'm dealing with.  i realize this is not the forum to be posting this, but it's more of an example of time that has to be spent looking this information up or asking in the B3 forums.
  • i haven't figured out how to disable the spamcontrol, even though i've commented it out in b3.xml.  the damn thing is still temp banning people for spamming. 

• in the file 'commands.txt', the only bans listed are tempban and ban.  when i use ban, it says the client has been banned for two weeks.  i'm looking for a permanent ban.  i noticed permban in the old manual, but i don't know if this works.  also, neither tempban nor ban write to ioUrbanTerror's banlist.txt.  i'm sure this is intentional, but then how do i get a list of all the banned IPs?

• as for the -c option, i followed the manuals provided.  B3 would read b3.xml in the directory i specified, but it would not read any of the other .xml files.  instead it read the other .xml files from the install directories.  so i scrapped the -c option and took everything from the install directories.

don't get me wrong, i think this is a kick ass tool.  this tutorial would be targeted for everyone, but especially for windows users with less patience to work through syntax errors, unfamiliar software, and stuff like B3 not using the -c option correctly.  of course, this is assuming i have time to put the tutorial together. :-D

#20 User is offline   flinkaflenkaflrsk (old) Icon

• LocationNL

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:40 AM

• i haven't figured out how to disable the spamcontrol, even though i've commented it out in b3.xml.  the damn thing is still temp banning people for spamming. 

• in the file 'commands.txt', the only bans listed are tempban and ban.  when i use ban, it says the client has been banned for two weeks.  i'm looking for a permanent ban.  i noticed permban in the old manual, but i don't know if this works.  also, neither tempban nor ban write to ioUrbanTerror's banlist.txt.  i'm sure this is intentional, but then how do i get a list of all the banned IPs?

• as for the -c option, i followed the manuals provided.  B3 would read b3.xml in the directory i specified, but it would not read any of the other .xml files.  instead it read the other .xml files from the install directories.  so i scrapped the -c option and took everything from the install directories.

For answering your questions:
1. IF you comment out spamcontrol it should not start but bear in mind changes are only in effect after you restart the bot
2. Bans are kept in the mysql database the best thing to do is to get the echelon webtool which will allow you to keep an eye on all bans and warnings via webbrowser interface
3. -c option should work we have had it both on linux and win2k3 and have had no problems with -c we are actually running multipel cfg's from same directory.

I hope this tutorial will help the people although I might be a bit too sceptic thinking if people are not able to install then maybe the product is too advanced. I do agree that having 3 different installation manuals is not helping.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942