• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Evenbalance has lost it. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Aarsbuds0r (old) Icon

• LocationNetherlands, The

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:46 PM

From http://www.evenbalan...=support-et.php

starting with this version 1.082, the PB Client now requires the game to be run as the administrator user or equivalent under Windows XP/2K[/url]

OMG! Okay, so this is for ET, but it will prolly come for Q3 too and Urt is going to ET anywayz.

WTF is evenbalance thinking?? They're saying its needed to find cheats. Making us run the game with administrative rights is just SICK. They just suck too much at coding to find cheats and to make up for it they do this.

Also, when autodownloading pk3's they can actually contain dll's, wich can contain malicious code, with administrive rights they can do everything to your computer.

After creating fps-drops/warp/lag and now this: I say GG EB...

#2 User is offline   LegoManser (old) Icon

• Lurking bastard
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:51 PM

Go ahead and flame them. Where would Quake3 be without PB? It would be dead, abandoned, rottening up.

Why does PunkBuster now require players to run the game as an administrator under WinXP/2K?

Because some cheats/hacks cannot be detected otherwise.

Is there some way to modify my system configuration to be an administrator equivalent from PunkBuster's perspective?

Yes. This can be accomplished by setting certain privileges for the user that will run the game. To do this, first temporarily log in as an Administrator. Then go to Control Panel => Administrative Tools => Local Security Policy. This will open up the Local Security setting window. Expand the Local Policies folder and select User Rights Assignment. This will bring up a list of security settings for the computer. You will need to add the user that will be launching the game to have the following privileges. If the user is logged while making changes, the user must be logged out and back in for the changes to take effect.

Debug Programs
Load and unload device drivers
Manage auditing and security log
Modify Firmware environment values
Profile Single Process
Take Ownership of Files or other objects

This is done by double clicking on the setting and then the "Add User or Group" button. You can either type the user or group name into the field or click on advanced to select from a list. If you select advanced, you may need to click on the "Object Types" button and make sure all 3 boxes are checked. Then click OK. Click on the "Find Now" button to generate a full list of all users and groups on the system. Highlight the user you want to add the rights to and click "OK". Keep clicking "OK" untill you are back at the Local Security Settings window. Repeat this process for the rest of the list. That user will now be able to play on PB servers without getting kicked for "Inadequate O/S Privileges".

On another note, ETPro (Great mod for ET by bani) has it's own cheat protection which I hear is becoming very good (Some problems with kicking/warning innocent players). It hasn't got name-filtering, nor can it take the "PB screenshots". Perhaps Bani could be interested in helping out with putting his cheat-detector into ETUT. Let's see how this turns out though.

#3 User is offline   Aarsbuds0r (old) Icon

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:59 PM

That some cheats can not be detected otherwise is just an excuse. With some decent coding it must be possible. Also, why is this only for windows and not for linux?? Prolly they dont even know what linux is. Also, the "solution" they offer, makes your computer damn unsafe! Its like saying? Okay, you dont want people to cheat? Ok, just open up your PC for hax0rs and you'll be fine.

And I agree, they did good work as well. Stopping the main-stream cheaters and all.

#4 User is offline   LegoManser (old) Icon

• Lurking bastard
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 03 June 2004 - 03:03 PM

I'm sure they did what they could. Do you really think they are just using an excuse? I think Evenbalance knew what they did. It's a big move, yes, but their job is to stop the cheaters. I don't think you are funny with your Linux comment. Doesn't look like you have much understanding or tolerance for EB, you put it up like they're the dumbest people on earth.. Way to go. I don't think that's constructive at all.

What do you mean by "...makes your computer damn unsafe!"? What kinds of risks are you running by making yourself administrator?

#5 User is offline   Aarsbuds0r (old) Icon

Posted 03 June 2004 - 03:21 PM

DOH. when you are administrator everything can be done to your PC by code.

And as I said, in ET, when autodownloading, the pk3's can contain dll's with code wich can be executed.

Also people playing @ work or internet-cafes or whatever that do not get administrator rights cant play anymore.

Edit: You were right, I was flaming a bit too much and not being very constructive. Sorry =]

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Aarsbuds0r (old) Icon

Posted 03 June 2004 - 03:28 PM

Ok, it also apears that code cant be run that easily from within a pk3.

#7 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 03 June 2004 - 04:30 PM

thing is: you could hook a hack as administrator and then play as user. the user has no access to the admins memory, so the hax can not be detected. 95% of the windows users out there are administrator or equivalent anyway, and if not, the administrator user has no password.

#8 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 03 June 2004 - 04:58 PM

The fact of the matter is, the community would be screaming for PB if it were not supported. And I can already hear people saying, "no that's not true." Uh, yes it is true, we have already beat this dead horse. Quake 3 was without PB support previously, now that it is hear all people seem to do is complain about it. So I suggest we all be happy and supportive it is here. Dont like something, I suggest an e-mail to EB.

#9 User is offline   EnDYmiON Icon

• Account: endymion

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:06 PM

There are several programs I use at home and work that require admin privilages. They can't access certain files other wise, not all that new of a thing. I run my machine at home as another username as an Administrator with a nasty password and hardware firewall. No problems here...of course I don't muck with settings that I shouldn't.

#10 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:18 PM

[quote name='"EnDYmiON"]There are several programs I use at home and work that require admin privilages. They can't access certain files other wise' date=' not all that new of a thing. I run my machine at home as another username as an Administrator with a nasty password and hardware firewall. No problems here...of course I don't muck with settings that I shouldn't.[/quote']
yah...and what aars wanted to say is, that every fscking IE exploit could kill your whole system ;)

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942