• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urban Terror Mapping Bible Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Vaughan (old) Icon

• LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:07 PM

Found on Splash Damage Forums. Edited to remove parts that dont apply to Urban Terror and to make it Urban Terror specific.

Original Post by bsimser

http://www.splashdam...iewtopic&t=3843

Urban Terror Mappers Bible
Version 1.0 (3rd June, 2004)

I believe there are some basic rules that are must-haves with every map ever made. We're not talking about tips and tricks here, just things that everyone should follow no matter what. Feel free to add and/or correct things here but I think this might be a valuable resource for mappers (especially newbies).

Please reply to this thread with any essential points you want to see added to this list. If I left in anything that doesnt fit Urban Terror or something needs to be changed let me know. I'll keep it up to date as often as possible, bumping the version number and date up as needed. Please keep your posts to only essential things that all maps should have no matter what (okay, the Gameplay section could be left up to some interpretation). Please do not post HOWTOs or tutorials.

1. Textures
1.1 Map specific textures should always be put into a directory of their own with the same name as your map.
1.2 In the case where you'll be releasing mulitple maps using the same texture put these in a directory with a unique name like your Urban Terror nickname or something.
1.3 Do not put custom textures into directories that the game ships with or other map directories. Refer to 1.1 and create your own directory (either for that specific map or your own series of maps)

2. Sound Files
2.1 Map specific sound files should always be put into a directory of their own with the same name as your map.
2.2 In the case where you'll be releasing mulitple maps using the same sound files put these in a directory with a unique name like your Urban Terror nickname or something.
2.3 Do not put custom sound files into directories that the game ships with or other map directories. Refer to 1.1 and create your own directory (either for that specific map or your own series of maps)

3. PK3 Naming
3.1 Always name PK3 files with a version number to avoid conflict with previous versions or derivations of the same map
3.2 Use something like ETUT_MAPNAME_X_N where X is A=Alpha, B=Beta, V=Final and N is the number (e.g. etut_mymap_a_1.pk3, etut_mymap_v_3.pk3)

4. Releasing
4.1 Always include a README_MAPNAME.TXT file with your map which includes how to contact you, a website to reach you and/or a place to get the latest version, a rough idea of how many players is ideal for the map, and any credits to others for prefabs, help, testing, etc.
4.2 Include the README_MAPNAME.TXT in both a ZIP release of your map and inside the PK3 file for completeness.
4.3 Never release a map prematurely. Posting about it on the forums here is great but if someone downloads it from any of the Urban Terror map depots they should expect a pretty complete product - otherwise players bitch up a storm, which is no fun, and unfairly lowers their perception of your map.
4.4 Always test your map. Test for playability (with others), test for bugs and problems (texture, size, flow, etc.) and test for technical design (r_speeds, z fighting, lighting, etc.). Use the addage, "Test twice (or test 500 times - Vaughan), release once" and you'll make everyone happier in the end.

5. Construction
5.1 Whenever possible, take a look at existing maps like those released with the game for scale. Make your maps similar in scale so doors are not too big and rooms are appropriately sized. Too big (or too small) make your map look odd and play strange.
5.2 Map Editor scale: 1 map unit = 1 inch ; 12 map units = 1 foot ; 36 map units = approx 1 meter (This may be different in Urban Terror, please advise - Vaughan)
5.3 Always caulk your map where the players won't see your work (like outside the sky, under buildings, etc.) as this will increase your fps and make the engine happier.

6. Copyrights
6.1 Do not use any prefabs, sounds, textures and other objects in the game without the express permission from the original author. Include that persons name in your README_MAPNAME.TXT file.
6.2 Do not use any copyright materials from other games. This includes models, sounds, etc. from other games like Quake III, RtCW, Unreal Tournament, etc. Urban Terror is free and thus does not allow copying materials from retail games.

7. Gameplay
7.1 Try to achieve a balanced gameplay with your map. Equal number of objectives and ideas. Use well thought out spawn points, good connectivity around the map and difficult but attainable objectives. This will create a more harmonized and challenging map that is enjoyable by all.
7.2 Be creative and original. Creating another clone of a Quake 3 or existing Urban Terror map doesn't help the Urban Terror community. Gamers need and want original maps that are fun by all so put some thought into your map.
7.3 Provide players with multiple paths to a target or objective. There should be a few places in the map where you can go down diverging paths to formulate more complex strats. Instead of the typical 2 path system, you could make as many as 3-4 paths with doors, and breakable objects to diversify gameplay. (But not too many breakables).
7.4 Put some thought into counter-actions that the defense can make to slow down the offensive attack.
7.5 Don't overly complicate your layouts if you don't have to. Adding corridors that go nowhere just to fill space doesn't make for an interesting map. Relativly simple layouts work too. Like the layout of a high school. Confusing at first but functional and easy to pick up.
7.6 Consider scalable gameplay when designing your map. SID did a good job of making maps that play just as well 4 v 4 as they do 8 v 8.
7.7 Don't crowd players. Corridors that are tall enough for a strafe-jumping person to traverse without hitting their head and wide enough for 2 people abreast to navigate works great.
7.8 Consider thinking about items before placing them. Don't place items just because (a. I haven't put one in yet or b. One would look cool here) - every item should have a good reason why it's there.
7.9 Stronger use of the vertical dimension. It's great when you have to play 3 dimensions instead of 2. Good maps, typically play very well horizontally as well as vertically.
7.10 If you make a building: think about it long and hard. Cause if you want to make a good looking level be sure to make all the buildings have a function other than to be a oddly shaped box where you have a fight in. So each door, each window, every stairwell and all the corridors and balcony's actually serve a purpose in that building if it was used in 'real life'.

8. Spawn Points
8.1 Place spawn points that are not directly on top of the objective nor directly astride the route to the objective.
8.2 Give attackers two spawns. This is the best anti-spawn camping measure you can provide to players.
8.3 Provide spawnpoints protected from direct fire and enemy campers and try to give multiple, covered exits from spawn.

9. Bomb Mode
9.1 When placing bomb sites, be sure to give the attacking team a chance to place the bomb as well as giving the defending team a chance to prevent placement or defuse the bomb. Also, try to place the bomb sites so that the defending team has a chance to move from one bomb site to the other to defuse a set bomb.

If possible can someone make this a sticky?

#2 User is offline   Vaughan (old) Icon

Posted 04 June 2004 - 11:30 PM

No suggestions?

#3 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 05 June 2004 - 12:20 AM

2.3 Do not put custom sound files into directories that the game ships with or other map directories. Refer to 1.1 and create your own directory (either for that specific map or your own series of maps)

copy/paste can be a bitch, eh?

btw...even if u use standard textures/shaders...copy them...as they might not be in the next SID release or may be changed

7.8 Consider thinking about items before placing them. Don't place items just because (a. I haven't put one in yet or b. One would look cool here) - every item should have a good reason why it's there.

yah...dont put medkits/vests in every corner...ppl will have them in their inventory anyway ;)
also make sure there is no unbalanced quad damage.

9.1 It should not take the defending team more than ?? seconds to get to either bomb site from the initial spawn. Nor should it take more than ?? seconds to get from one bomb site to the other.

did u ever play bomb? what is the point in having max seconds from spawn to bomb site? the point is, red should not being able to be there 1min b4 blue.

#4 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 06 June 2004 - 07:58 PM

I suggest you call it the ET bible and not SIDs. We support SD and their work 100%, so please do not rip it.

#5 User is offline   Vaughan (old) Icon

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:27 PM

[quote name='"Oswald"]I suggest you call it the ET bible and not SIDs. We support SD and their work 100%' date=' so please do not rip it.[/quote']

[quote]Found on Splash Damage Forums. Edited to remove parts that dont apply to Urban Terror and to make it Urban Terror specific.

Original Post by bsimser

[url]http://www.splashdamage.com/index.php?name=pnPHPbb2&file=viewtopic&t=3843 [/url]
[/quote]

Which of course is WHY I put this at the very beginning Oswald. If I was attempting to "rip" this off I would not have placed that and the link.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Vaughan (old) Icon

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:29 PM

#7 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:01 PM

[quote name='"Vaughan"]I am referring to placing such things as crates' date=' and other things in maps that just dont make sense to be put where they are.[/quote']
erm...then dont say items, as items are quad-damages, armors, medkits, vests, ...

[quote name='"HoboHumpinSlut"]Yes' date=' I have played bomb but I do believe there should be a certain standard time here.[/quote']
so all maps should be the same size?

#8 User is offline   Vaughan (old) Icon

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:14 PM

#9 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:35 PM

[quote name='"Vaughan"]The real question is' date=' how long should it take to get from one bomb site to the other and how long should it take "relatively" to get from a spawn to a bomb site?[/quote']
whatever the mapper thinks will play nice...if u put down rules like that, maps like ut_koth wouldnt be possible...it might even be interesting to let the red team reach the bomb spot b4 blue does...
and btw...the bomb explode time is a server setting, so it would be no big problem to have bomb spots which are 1min from each other.

#10 User is offline   Vaughan (old) Icon

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:57 PM

HHS, how would YOU rewrite that section?

Somewhere along the lines of...

:?: When placing bomb sites, be sure to give the attacking team a chance to place the bomb as well as giving the defending team a chance to prevent placement or defuse the bomb. Also, try to place the bomb sites so that the defending team has a chance to move from one bomb site to the other to defuse a set bomb. :?:

What about this? How would you rewrite it?

"7.8 Consider thinking about items before placing them. Don't place items just because (a. I haven't put one in yet or b. One would look cool here) - every item should have a good reason why it's there."

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942