Urban Terror Forums: FTWGL Official Competition Map Making Contest! - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

FTWGL Official Competition Map Making Contest! Rate Topic: -----

Finally! A competition no one can cheat on!

#1 User is offline   X3igh7 Icon

• Account: x3igh7

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

FTWGL Official Competition Map Making Contest!
Finally! A competition no one can cheat on!
Posted Image
>>>Send me (x8`) a PM on the FTWGL forums to sign up!<<<

Proposed Timeline (Roughly 3 Months):
-Signups (Now-Sept 3)
-Progress Report 1 Due (no later than Sept 16)
---Post All Progress Reports for Public Consumption
-Progress Report 2 Due (no later than Sept 30)
-Progress Report 3 Due (no later than Oct 21)
-Progress Report 4 Due (no later than Nov 4)
-BETA Version of Map and Progress Report 5 Due (no later than Nov 11)
--- Upload maps to #pugbot / FTWGL competition testing
-FINAL Version of Map Due (no later than Nov 24)
-Popular/Committee Vote Begins (Nov 25-27)
---First place in popular vote = 3 points
---Second place in popular vote = 2 points
---Third place in popular vote = 1 point
---Committee vote = 3 points per member
-Announce Winning Map (Nov 28)

Rules: Only rule is that you MUST submit a Progress Report by the deadline. If you are going out of town, submit it early. Progress report must reflect some real progress (at the discretion of the Committee). Failure to submit a report or make any progress will result in disqualification. Additionally, all maps must be started from scratch. Remember: This is being judged as a competition map! Plan accordingly.

Progress Report: Contains screenshots and details about progress made in the map. Let us know your ideas and thought process. What's your theme? What do you hope will set this map apart from the rest? Also include methodology details (what processes do you use to create a map), layouts, textures, object, clipping, and other interesting tidbits that up-and-coming mappers would be interested in hearing about. Email the progress reports to ftwscores@gmail.com and post on FTW forums (special section to be setup).

Map Contest Committee: Made up of FTW community members. Members of this committee may not submit a map or win a prize.

Prizes: There will be a Grand Prize along the lines of a spanking new, kick-ass video card. Runners up should expect to see prizes along the lines of headsets, keyboards, mice, and servers :)

Categories:
Best CTF Map
Best TS Map
**Best Overall Map** (Grand Prize)

Resources:
http://www.custommap...s.org/index.php
http://www.urbanterr...esign-modeling/
http://pugbot.com/
http://www.ftwgl.com/

If you can donate some prizes, please PM me! I'm also open to any apps to be on the committee or to help out as well as suggestions. This is a great opportunity to have some fun, contribute to our game, the competition scene, and to the community both as a whole and individually. It's time our awesome mappers get some recognition!

This post has been edited by X3igh7: 17 August 2011 - 06:16 PM

x8` - FTWGL Head Admin
www.ftwgl.com

#2 User is offline   X3igh7 Icon

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:14 PM

Please spread the news :)
x8` - FTWGL Head Admin
www.ftwgl.com

#3 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

Good initiative. Plenty of map makers, but barely 1% of all the new maps made are competitive oriented or suitable.

#5 User is offline   X3igh7 Icon

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:44 PM

Awesome, will do. I wasn't sure who to PM about that sort of thing these days :-P
x8` - FTWGL Head Admin
www.ftwgl.com

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#7 User is offline   bacardii Icon

• Account: bacardii

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:20 PM

I am taking a guess and saying x8 is looking for people to make a map that could be used in competition, and the committee members are the people who are not participating in the map making competition.

This post has been edited by bacardii: 17 August 2011 - 11:20 PM

[img]http://cache.www.gam...FFFF_000000.png[/img]
#x6 on gamesurge
www.x6ix.com

#8 User is offline   X3igh7 Icon

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:51 AM

• What is the goal of the competition? To create a map with the best gameplay?

Gameplay is the primary factor we will be judging - in particular the best CTF and TS gameplay.

• Are details important? Or could I just throw together a few boxes as long as it plays good? Three months here is really short to make a great looking map (at least for me :) )

Gameplay > Details. But if you want to set your map apart from the competition, details do matter. That is not the focus here, however. You are more than welcome to continue brushing up the look and feel of the map after the conclusion of the competition if you feel it is not enough time! There needs to be some time constraints, however, or it would defeat the purpose of a competition...

• Which gametype and how many players should be supported?

TS & CTF. 6v6 is the norm for CTF competition. TS is usually 5v5 or 6v6.

• How many "committee members" are there to vote?

Likely there will be 3. So 25% of the final vote will be from the urban terror community at large and 75% will be from the panel.

• What are the criterias that will be voted upon?

The main categories are:
    Best CTF Map
    Best TS Map
    Best Overall Map

There may be more categories depending on how many people sign up such as best textures/objects/lighting etc... We want to see almost everyone who completes a map to get something out of it.

• Is there any common theme or are mappers free to choose?

Theme = competition map. Other than that - you're free to do whatever you wish! You may even team up with someone if you wish... The goal is to get some fresh competition maps!

• How many contestants do you expect? Are there a few people already that you know of who will certainly participate? What happens if there are only 2? :)

I expect to see 3-5 finished maps. If we get 1-2 great maps out of this competition I would consider it a success. Moreover, it will provide invaluable information for new mappers to absorb as well as an opportunity for new mappers to hone their skills on a bigger stage with lots of people rooting them on and some pretty cool prizes on the line!

• Are there a few top league players willing to test the layout from the beginning or are we required/allowed to test that with clan mates?

Yes! There will be a section in the FTW forums where you will be free to ask for all the advice and help you need. You are not limited in anyway, so don't be afraid to ask. Also, once you submit your beta we plan that have matches played on them as well as expose them to random pugbot match ups as a final tune up before you turn in your final piece to be submitted.

• What about models and textures - do we need to create them ourselves? Or is it ok to use someone elses work?

If you use someone else's work you obviously must give them credit. Layouts should be original. That being said, you may get brownie points for making your own stuff!

That's all for now. I'm sure I'll have some more...
Anyway, I really don't know if I will enter. Depends on some of the answers to these questions. Three months is really short for creating a whole (detailed) map. On the other hand, 3 months is really a long time to spend mapping. There are hundreds of other things to do for 3 months than mapping...

We are hoping to make it worth your while with the prizes! I'm also hoping that this will be a decent enough time frame where a contestant will not have to work on the map every single day. We all have real life commitments and shouldn't be devoting every minute of our lives to this. We are expecting something that can be reasonably accomplished in 3 months by someone who does this as their hobby.

This post has been edited by X3igh7: 18 August 2011 - 12:52 AM

x8` - FTWGL Head Admin
www.ftwgl.com

#9 User is offline   Merc Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: merc
  • Main tag: |HSO|

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:49 PM

Request sent.

I've been looking for an excuse to start mapping again, and this comp. could be it :)

#10 User is offline   Delirium Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: delirium

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:29 AM

3 months isn't too long, just think about those 9day competitions, you just need to repeat that about 6 times and you have a complete map.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942