• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Rant/Ragequit Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sod Icon

• Account: sod
  • Main tag: iCu*

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:27 AM

I was deeply involved in the Action Quake 2 (Aq2) community up until the point of it's death. I watched as the population slowly dwindled down to nothing. I remember the only time you could get a game going was 6pm when the servers populated. And as time went on, it had to be scheduled meetings.. it was depressing. I migrated to Urt at that point--happy to find fully populated servers again. OH WHAT A BLESSING I thought. Now I'm seeing similar symptoms. I tried joining a league recently, showed up to 3 matches, all 3 resulted in forfeits because no one could field enough players. I check out the servers during the day, they are mostly populated by bots...bots make my teeth cringe and I despise all the admins who use them to try and fake server population. But I don't blame the server admins for this population decrease-- I blame Frozen Sand. All your efforts are negatively impacting this community. This ship is sinking and I'm bailing before it turns into another depressing event like Aq2 was.

4.1, 4.1.1, UrtHD, 4.2... I don't even know what version you want me to play. You need to get the community on the same page. You guys are playing a director role in this community and you're doing a terrible job at it. Sorry to be so harsh, I know you are trying to do good but JUST STOP!! You give me a headache... 4.1.1 was terrible and unnecessary. You even admit it yourself!!

"These maps do not meet our quality standards that we have planned for Urban Terror HD, so we thought it was best to release them in an update pack for Urban Terror 4.1 !" -Decoy

You basically just said this is complete trash, but lets make an update out of it anyway! WHY?! I saw no map updates that were necessary. The maps that do stand out to me are uptown and casa. I'll give it to you, uptown does look slightly better. But why do people like uptown in the first place? Because its a vertical map and fun to jump on! With the update however, you clipped off most of the ledges, putting limits on jumps. Counterproductive if you ask me. Then casa...ugh...what did you even do to this map?? I saw no major flaws in casa for 4.1, now it has terrible lighting and broken clothes lines. DID I MENTION THE LIGHTING IS AWFUL?? ITS COMPLETELY BLEACHED! WHY DID YOU GIVE US THIS UPDATE?! What else did you do in 4.1.1? Give us a few maps? You could have just uploaded those to a map depot.

Why am I bitching? Because every time you give us updates like this it divides the community. You got guys playing 4.1 and 4.1.1 and then you make it even worse and throw UrtHD in the mix Oh and lets go ahead and drop 4.2beta beta beta beta on you! The server admins cant even keep up with your 4.2 updates you're trying to update it so fast. All your efforts are dividing the community, and each time you divide the community, population decreases.

4.2 is a beta, and needs to be rightfully advertised as so! I see posts of people complaining about this, yet you still advertise 4.2 as being the primary version. WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS? Any newcomer wanting to play this game is going to get 4.2...0023141251251 and end up with a broken game with low population. Answer this question, why would any newcomer stick around?? You're losing potential newcomers and making general population (like me) ragequit because half the population is split. YOU NEED TO GET EVERYONE ON THE SAME PAGE.

Lets say it again, because this is your biggest problem:
YOU NEED TO GET EVERYONE ON THE SAME PAGE.

Do you remember when Urt transitioned from 4.0 to 4.1? I do! It was quick, simple, and most importantly, the community was on the same page! 4.1 was privately tested by a selected competent group and made available to the public when it was ready. It worked great! Now you're throwing multiple versions at us and creating a giant mess. Make 4.1.1 the official version (because thats the one that is polished and the majority of the community play) until 4.2 is ready. Then you can transition the community to 4.2.

One more rant before I ragequit. Why do people play Urt over other fps games? Lets make a list:

Its free
It offers a unique play style
Fast paced
Its graphics are top of the line

wait what? Top notch graphics? Nooo....
Lets be honest, this game looks like complete shit compared to other games on the market today, like COD for example. I would never pick this game over COD based on graphics. I can tell where you guys are heading, you are trying to appeal to gamers with new stylish graphics! Just dont. This game will never ever compete with COD in graphics. I would rate urt a 2 and a half on a scale of 1-10 for graphics. So appeal to gamers for the qualities you do have!! This needs to be said over and over:
Urbanterror will NEVER appeal to gamers for its graphics.
You cant compete in that market. Don't even try. Please try to focus on the qualities you do have.

With all that said /end rant.
I will be rage quitting now. Currently seeking new game to play with a stronger community base because this one has been demolished. I'm not going through another Aq2 phase. I saw one game die that I loved, IM NOT GONNA WATCH IT HAPPEN AGAIN. MY HEART CANT TAKE ANY MORE!!!

R.I.P. Urbanterror
Best regards,
-SoD, Disastercasterlol, StampedingSteve, Bernie

This post has been edited by Sod: 14 November 2012 - 02:30 AM

#2 User is offline   slackin Icon

• Account: slackin
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:45 AM

I am sorry to see you go SoD but I totally understand. Much love brotha <3 Hit me up on facebook if you want to keep in touch :p
[img]http://i188.photobuc...n35/urt/sig.jpg[/img]
/*----------------------------------------------------------------------
All normal mapped(bump mapped) and specular mapped .|^|.
Just a few of many, and more to come.
----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

#4 User is offline   raylewis Icon

• Account: raylewis

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

Good night sweet prince...For my money the best Jumper in urt history. Had fun in urt in the few clans we played together in, iCu, sgafgot, wip, etc. I'll find it hard to forget that time we found that austrian imposter of you that had practiced all the urt exposed jumps on uptown so much he would do them like a robot, and you asked him if he had any other jumps he could show you. Good times. I feel the same way as you, coming from aq2 it has the same feel, other than the aq2 development was finished and the game was in a complete fun form. There hasn't been a new influx of players in a long time, we are starting to see the euro scene die much in the same way as the NA scene is already 100% dead. Servers full of South Americans with a high percentage of hacking amongst them. Oh well buddy, i'm sure we'll play some starcraft together soon. GG furiousOd.

-straight jackin

#5 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

View PostBladeKiller, on 14 November 2012 - 03:29 AM, said:

Thanks for playing. I hope you find a new game that you have even more fun with. Take care.

BK

for someone as sensitive as you are .. you really know how to use the whip...

but more important than that..

WOW it's the sod guy ..

i've been trying to copy your jumps since i first searched youtube for uptown jumps though i hope i am not THE austrian imposter ... i have never reached the skyscraper's top all by myself... still dying much .. inches from that ledge .. (btw. is this jump still possible in 4.1.1.?)

visit "us" on boobs servers .. policed like hell :) .. and usually rather decent folks both on american an europian servers ...

i personally think it's a matter of weeks or months and of course further updates until 4.2 is superior to 4.1.1. .. right now we have to suffer labour pains .. and i am sure the development team can feel those as well
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   hieronymuz Icon

• Account: hieronymuz

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

Wow Sod, nice rant, if you go on a rant, that's how to do it! That said, I agree with you on every single point you made and it is obvious that this game and its community is dying out. My mates and I are lucky to play at most 2 pcws per day and in most cases the people we play against are no real challenge at all. It got pretty boring and I noticed how I myself haven't played the last week. I know people have been saying this game is dying for several years, but this time they might actually be right. Skilled players stopped playing, new players aren't getting into the game. The most populated servers are low grav CTF servers and the like... think about that.

Good luck finding a replacement for UrT though, until now I haven't found a game that gave me the same feeling I have when playing UrT. I tried Shootmania, T:A, NS2 etc. pp. but nothing made as much fun as a good pcw in UrT. A friend of mine and his team are working on an Arena FPS he describes as a mix of Mirror's Edge and UrT, but it's still in early development and won't go public before next year, so who knows how good it will be. If you find a game, tell me.

#7 User is offline   Nikki Icon

• Account: nikki
  • Main tag: diRf!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

What's sad is that this has been said repeatedly since the launch of fail.2. Sure, you guys take the bug reports and cough"fix"cough some of them but what about the bigger picture? Like I've stated before, you guys are tricking newcomers into downloading a completely dead and buggy game. I STILL have to show people that there's a previous downloads link if they're looking for 4.1. You have a QA team for a reason, use them. You want community input? Stick 4.2 under it's own category (you know, like BETA) instead of "Current Version". I'm sure people would still be willing to help you with the endless list of bugs without forcing it down people's throats. SoD might be the only one that's been vocal about leaving the game all together but there's plenty of others that have done it a bit more quietly. We (wip), are able to maybe get 1 actual North American clan to scrim every few weeks, generally right before FTW matches...in which so many FFW/FFLs occur it's ridiculous. I'm not saying it's completely 4.2's fault but I will say that you're kicking the community while it's down and you're writing off valid concerns.

I appreciate the free game and I appreciate the effort but it's time to open your eyes.

#8 User is offline   Delirium Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: delirium

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:20 AM

View PostSod, on 14 November 2012 - 02:27 AM, said:

R.I.P. Urbanterror

#9 User is offline   Tricky Icon

• Account: tricky
  • Main tag: [EH]

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

Sad but true although i have been thinking about these things as i am sure the devs have too and have a gut feeling it may be more to do with a players skill set than anything else.

Ok, we have all seen Sod jump so yeh from beginner ----------------------------VOID------------------------------->to Sod is a very large skills void imho.

Let's say you are a new player you hop on say Canadian Carnage TDM to check it out hmm seems fine crap graphics but fun.
Along comes a couple of [EH]guys or WHATEVER CLAN guys and you get wiped all over the map in horrible ways,
yes they will nade ur ass take yer head off knife you and you can barely get out of the spawn.
You are generally good at fps so WTF are they cheating or what you can't hit them half the time you never even saw where they shot you from
you dunno about this you start to feel uncomfortable /ragequit and within 3 maps the server is dead.

i mentioned our clan because this happened a few nights ago i was there as there was nowhere else to play and i felt sad and guilty that i somehow could be responsible.

That server is currently out of bounds to our members and it would be a nice idea if other clans followed suit.

What i am saying here is leave the noob servers alone guys so we can grow a fresh crop of players with the right skill set.

It might even be a good idea to advertise a server as noob with maybe a b3 plugin to kick you if you get above a certain ratio. ;)

Also remove of all traces of 4.2 from prominent view and only alert us of the updates via forum thread.

Just my 2 cents.
<3 ric

#10 User is offline   Pez Icon

• Account: pez
  • Main tag: strayA#

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:20 AM

4.2 gave the small but active community some hope of a revival, old players were coming back, keen to see a new generation of UrT. Now with the disappointment of a half finished release it sent all those potential returning player packing and along with them most of the small community that was stable enough to support a few servers.
It's not completely 4.2 that has destroyed the communities, it has been happening for a few years due to no development coming from FS and many other games being more attractive.

I think it's almost to late to go back to 4.1.1 now, it isn't going to appeal to anyone and 4.2 probably isn't either. HD should be the focus for the development team, something that has potential to bring players in and to keep them. The release has to be perfect, minimal bugs, new graphics, new weapons, maps, gamemodes etc. surely that is the only answer to revive a game?

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942