Urban Terror Forums: Exporting models and importing them to radiant - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Exporting models and importing them to radiant Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Fleuv Icon

• Account: fleuv
  • Main tag: f8`

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:33 AM

Hello!

The idea for making models besides maps has come to me already a few years ago when I started mapping. But not that I never tried to model, because I do, I can. I've even worked with a lot of 3D modelling editors. So far I have chosen to use Modo from luxology a really nice advanced editor.

Anyway, now I've got a new idea or you might also call it a problem. Because I can't get it working somehow. I'm trying to export (OBJ or LWO) textured models from Modo to Radiant. For the .obj export everything seems to import correctly, except the textures, the size of the misc_model and the axis. But the .lwo export, doesn't import any geometry at all.

Details

## OBJECT FILE {
~\UrbanTerror42\q3ut4\models\mapobjects\x-company\test.obj
http://pastebin.com/sukufHxJ

~\UrbanTerror42\q3ut4\models\mapobjects\x-company\test.mtl
http://pastebin.com/1aVtZxVx
} ##

## LIGHTWAVE OBJECT FILE {
~\UrbanTerror42\q3ut4\models\mapobjects\x-company\test.lwo
http://temp-share.com/show/HKd9f8iqA

CONSOLE ERRORS
http://pastebin.com/GhprJR42
} ##

## TEXTURES {
~\UrbanTerror42\q3ut4\models\mapobjects\x-company\test.jpg
~\UrbanTerror42\q3ut4\models\mapobjects\x-company\tost.jpg
} ##

Instructions for all kinds of 3D editors

1. Create a 3D model with a texture in a 3D editor what has the option to export (indirect) to one of the importable extensions of your Radiant.

## .OBJ {
?
}

## .LWO {
2. Create a UV map for the image
3. Fix your material name(s) to models/path/to/bakedIMG (without extension)
4. Bake your UV map to an image and save it in the material name it's directory
5. Save your scene as LWO file and you're ready to go.
} ##

Put all stuff in the right folder and now import!

This post has been edited by Fleuv: 01 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

~ Cheers

xF.

#2 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

The LWO error log would suggest you are exporting quads instead of triangles, have a look at the export options to see if there is an option to change from exporting quads to exporting triangles. Or manually triangulate your model before exporting.

I've never got the OBJ import to work; I don't think importing materials has ever worked on OBJ files. (Unless someone can prove me wrong here)

#3 User is offline   Dougy Icon

• Account: dougy

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

View PostNulL, on 01 September 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

The LWO error log would suggest you are exporting quads instead of triangles, have a look at the export options to see if there is an option to change from exporting quads to exporting triangles. Or manually triangulate your model before exporting.

I've never got the OBJ import to work; I don't think importing materials has ever worked on OBJ files. (Unless someone can prove me wrong here)

I have had working .obj files with textures that are coherent to the model, was a long time ago since I've done any sort of modelling work though.

#4 User is offline   Fleuv Icon

• Account: fleuv
  • Main tag: f8`

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostNulL, on 01 September 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

Okay I tried to triangulate my meshes in my LWO project and it worked! My 3D-block geometry got imported successfully but the textures didn't work yet. I forgot that everything have to be UV mapped and the UV map needs to be bake to an image. So I search for more specific help...

http://docs.luxology...portExport.html
http://docs.luxology...ngWorkflow.html

And BAM fixed! I bet that every 3d-editor tool has a its own documentation where you can find all sorts of information about this kind of business.

Thank you mate
~ Cheers

xF.

#5 User is offline   Nstar Icon

• Account: nstar
  • Main tag: [COD]

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

for the record, i'm using a couple .obj's in my current project... the axes were all messed up, and the textures didn't show, but that was fixable... make sure your textures are in an acceptable container... i had .jpegs and reexported them from gimp as tga and used _remap to much success... "angles 0 0 0" can fix pitch/yaw/etc

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Kortezz Icon

• Account: kortezz

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:44 PM

Hello, guys!
I need to export weapon and player models from UrT to Milkshape or 3DS Max with animations. How I can do this? I can export only meshes, without animations =(
And how I can view models and animations? I use "MD3View" program, but it's dont show textures and messing up anims. Maybe you using other program?
Sorry for my bad english.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942