• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

State of 4.2 servers Rate Topic: -----

Just wondering

#41 User is offline   loon Icon

• Account: loon

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

View PostBarbatos, on 17 June 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

We're not going to lower the maximum limit of slots per server and we're not going to disable the bots. They are just unsupported and to use at your own risks.

I think this is a good decision. Server owners can decide themselves if they want 10 slots or 64 slots, bots or no bots. No reason to force every server to be 16 slot, human + auth only. The variation makes it interesting.

I think new players like to learn on big popular servers without auth, rather than get pwned by a pro on a 5x5 server.

#42 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

• Account: kolossus

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:58 PM

View PostBarbatos, on 13 June 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

I'll see what I can do to show the number of bots playing on a server in the server browser.

View PostKarlMariaSeeberg, on 13 June 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

sounds like a great idea..there is this devastating moment when you think you have found a well populated server (20+ players) and after loading a huge map you press tab once and you know you have been fooled..

Eh-ehm.

#43 User is offline   katzenscheisse Icon

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostBarbatos, on 13 June 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

I'll see what I can do to show the number of bots playing on a server in the server browser.

Please, that would be really great. I want to avoid all the shitty botservers.

#44 User is offline   WiseMan Icon

• Account: wiseman
  • Main tag: -VA-

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

Hoping to see urt revives in Asia

#45 User is offline   phd Icon

• Account: phd

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

Do you remember when you first played the game?
When you didn't know how to run, circle jump, and would simply stand there trying to shoot people running way too fast for you?

New players NEED stupid servers TDM with lots of bots in order to learn the basics.
You cannot expect new players to go on TS 5V5 and have fun.
First, others will make fun of them. Second, others will insult them for being too bad.
As a results, they will either go back to TDM with bots, or just quit.

Summary (#1) (tldr) : Servers for NOOBS are essential to let new players get the game's feel.

Furthermore, tutorials should be much easier to get to.
The game should come with several tutorials (demos) on circle jump, aiming, sliding, etc.
If the community does not have the talent, or the time, or the will to get those tutorials embedded in the game, then this forum should at least built a good playlist from youtube videos. And let us not forget about DailyNade's stuff. I remember this was a very good source of information when I started to play the game. Get DailyNades stuff if it is (legal) possible (if not, redo it).

Summary (#2) (tldr) : Make it easy for new players to learn about the game play.

The current problem is not with the servers or their configurations. It is with the raw number of players. If you look at the server list, just about every game type is available, but the servers are empty. In the past, you could connect to an empty server and someone would eventually connect and play. Now, all the server are (almost) empty except two CTF 12VS12 server. CTF 12vs12, is just like TDM with bots, a place to run and shoot randomly, or camp until you are out of ammo (with an occasional flag run from a seasoned player). What the community needs is more players. Now, do not think old players will just come back. The community needs to appeal to new players and wait until they are decent enough to climb up the game type ladder. Once someone has become just a little bit better, 12vs12 CTF or TDM is no longer fun. Once a player as reached a certain level, they want more strategy, more challenge (6v6 Bomb, 6v6 TS, 6v6 CTF)

Summary (#3) (tldr) : Make it easy for new players to learn about the game play. THEN, share the link to the game everywhere, get new people on board and stop bitching at noobs. Help them get better instead.

Full summary (for those who are very lazy readers) : Get more players, then more servers will be "playable", more fun we will have.

AND

It is a good idea to show how many bots / specs / active players are on a server.
Yes, it is possible to connect, look, notice the server only has bots (or specs), and then leave, and ... OMG this take for EVER...
1- New players will WANT servers with bots because otherwise they get crushed.
2- Seasoned players will avoid bots filled servers.

This post has been edited by phd: 07 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#46 User is offline   Bavon Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: bavon

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:11 PM

View Postphd, on 07 July 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

Do you remember when you first played the game?
When you didn't know how to run, circle jump, and would simply stand there trying to shoot people running way too fast for you?

New players NEED stupid servers TDM with lots of bots in order to learn the basics.
You cannot expect new players to go on TS 5V5 and have fun.

My first UrT experience was on AGS (Aussie Game Server) :D, it was a TS server. the only reason i played TS was because i had no idea about the filter.
It would be nice if there was a way to filter bot servers, or perhaps a tutorial server? with a map that walks you through the basics instead of having to just watch a demo. :)
I make songs about Urban Terror..... Bavons Youtube
https://bavon.org

#47 User is offline   WiseMan Icon

• Account: wiseman
  • Main tag: -VA-

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

Yeah, new players need TDM server, it is where they can get addicted to urt. I remember in 2008, there's only one famous TDM server in asia called RSA- hellsheaven, and then the no of servers in Asia started to increase as well as the clans. Ah, the good old times dude. :rolleyes:

#48 User is offline   Deprecated Icon

• Account: deprecated
  • Main tag: -nS|

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:17 AM

There's maybe 2 servers that I can tolerate atm. The only other populated servers I ever see, are generally 12v12 CTF (or even more than that), typically on maps that have no business hosting that many players.

As for the bots, I couldn't care less if they remained available for people to use. I just wish so many servers weren't using them at the moment, or at the very least added a very simple [BOT] tag to their server name.

This post has been edited by Deprecated: 09 July 2014 - 05:19 AM

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942