• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[4.2] The Auth System Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   Garreth Icon

• Account: garreth
  • Main tag: -21-

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:50 PM

Each server admin sets his own rules for his server. Some servers are nests of kiddies swearing at their mothers, some are calm and guarded places. You want to play on a calm server without any kind of griefing? Find one. Period.
However, if I, as a server admin trust decisions about cheaters for example from servers using Powerban I will be able to use their shared cheater banlist (not "idiot" banlist).
I dont want to get banned globally, because one idiot from low ranked server told that I cheated (he probably would provide clean demo, but I will have to explain myself). Also, we cant expect that FrozenSands will review each potential cheater demo, only we can expect working ways to prove cheating with 100% accuracy and protection from the cheaters rejoining (after changing IP/account/etc.).

#82 User is offline   Todd Icon

• Account: todd

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

So how does one go about banning and and unbanning specific auth accounts?

#83 User is offline   BorderFox Icon

• Account: borderfox

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

View PostTodd, on 09 August 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

So how does one go about banning and and unbanning specific auth accounts?

Well that's the burning issue and the point I was trying to get across on the last page (same as Garreth here). Frankie V mentions that we are thinking too far ahead, but with no disrespect to him, we are just thinking of these now, before the proverbial SHTF. If the FS auth sys/ac is going to catch the known haxs, but server admins can do what they like and share banlists, then it will only be a mess. Compare a few banlists going around atm, few are good and detailed i.e. worth using. We used to use other banlists as a flagging system only i.e. player xyz banned on so so's server "watch them!".

To respond to Todds question and to side with Garreth, no server admin should be able to touch your auth account. IMO only FS.
BorderFox

#84 User is offline   Todd Icon

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

Sorry BorderFox, but you're obviously quite confused. I'll try to explain things a little clearer.

Your auth account is basically just a replacement of the CD key your normally pay for when you buy games at your local shop.
If Billy_the_rand bans you from his 2cent server, then you're banned from his 2cent server. You're added to his banlist, and only he can take you off it again.
But that's as far as it goes: it does not involve other servers, it does not affect your notoriety, and it has nothing to do with FS.

Chew over that for a second, then we'll extend it a little further.
Let's say Frank_the_W*nk happens to be Billy's annoying friend, and also happens to run a server of his own. Being pals, they decide to share their banlists with each other. Now, this was always possible for them in the past, via simply emailing their banlist.txt to each other regularly. But now, ZOOSH! 28 years of hard work coding by the FS team means this can now be automated via their online portal. Good, right? Yes.

Now that you understand the basics, let me try and explain why this was all necessary in the first place.
Ultimately the core problem is that UrT has been - and always will be - a free game. Normally, in a paid multiplayer game - eg. BF3 - you pay $$'s for the use of your unique CD key, and this is what gets excluded from a server if you get banned. Thus to bypass the ban a new CD key is needed, and you'll have to trot back down to the local shop again. However the cost incurred in doing this is prohibitive due to the fact it's not a free game. Hence banned players tend to stay banned.

Fast forward to free to play games like Urban Terror, and - uh oh, that method of banning doesn't work so well now does it? CD keys are essentially free and can be renewed for free within a few moments. Hence something was needed to stem the ability to acquire a new CD key so easily, and this is where the FS Auth comes in. Now to acquire a new CD key you'll at least need to create a new email address first, and then use this to register a new auth account, then wait 30 min for it to activate (pretty please FS?)...and only then can you potentially bypass the ban. Hence my original comment that auth is essentially a replacement for a paid CD key. An 'alternative', to be pedantic.

tl;dr Billy and Frank are douchebags, you don't want to play on their server anyway.

Back to me.
1) How does one go about banning and and unbanning specific auth accounts?
2) What is auth_status?
3) What is auth_cheaters?

This post has been edited by Todd: 09 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

#85 User is offline   Juno Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: juno
  • Main tag: ~SG~

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:52 PM

What if some servers allow to join only a certain level of notoriety?
If someone is banned and want to join to decent server which allows only higher level of notoriety, its just impossible.
What he/she needs to play on it?
Well:

View PostTodd, on 09 August 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

...you pay s for the use of your unique CD key, and this is what gets excluded from a server if you get banned. Thus to bypass the ban a new CD key is needed, and you'll have to trot back down to the local shop again. However the cost incurred in doing this is prohibitive due to the fact it's not a free game. Hence banned players tend to stay banned.

So if someone need to play he/she has to:

create a new email address first, and then use this to register a new auth account, then wait 30 min for it to activate (pretty please FS?)...and only then... can you potentially bypass the ban. Hence my original comment that auth is essentially a replacement for a paid CD key. An 'alternative', to be pedantic.

... he/she has to play a weeks/months to join decent server.
And

the cost incurred in doing this is prohibitive

to set up new account. And it is equal or bigger trouble then buying new game with CD key.

Am i right?

This post has been edited by Juno: 09 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#86 User is offline   Todd Icon

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:18 PM

? What does any of that have to do with the auth system, specifically? Auth is just a tool which may or may not be implemented by server owners. If a server owner decides to exclude you from his/her server - for whatever reason - that's their choice. Don't blame Auth.

As above, that's the right of the server owner.

If someone is banned and want to join to decent server which allows only higher level of notoriety, its just impossible.
At the moment 'auth_Notoriety 1' just means you just can't connect without an auth account. And even if some level system was implemented, just go haul your ass elsewhere to rack up some experience.

I'm really not getting the trend of self-entitlement in this thread...'Needs' to play on it? I hope this is just due to a Polish/English language barrier.

#87 User is offline   Thephoenix Icon

• Account: thephoenix

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

View PostJuno, on 09 August 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

Well:

So if someone need to play he/she has to:

... he/she has to play a weeks/months to join decent server.
And
to set up new account. And it is equal or bigger trouble then buying new game with CD key.

Am i right?

It would be a very good things if it is possible to do such a thing (is it actually? :D) . But at the moment, we are all "noob ranked" isn't it? :-D But with a thing like that, Cheaters would think twice before cheating if they need to play x days to connect again on servers.. And with that system, noobies wouldn't be able to connect on "experienced" servers so it's a good thing for them too, they will learn to play on "newbies" servers.

#88 User is offline   spectrummastodon Icon

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

the members that are already registered and had already downloaded the game, how do they or when we will recieve the auth key?

#89 User is offline   H0i Icon

•   former FS member   
    Modeler
  • Account: h0i

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

View Postspectrummastodon, on 09 August 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

the members that are already registered and had already downloaded the game, how do they or when we will recieve the auth key?

You can find the auth key on your profile.

#90 User is offline   KEYHOLE Icon

• Account: keyhole

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:31 PM

i like this idea

View PostDivinity, on 31 July 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

Like I said -- putting the power in the hands of the server admins makes the most sense. Heck, instead of making it a static setting, allow for a dynamic one that is temporary --

No bans in last XX hours = any account can join
1 ban in last XX hours = accounts must be X hours old to play (players already connected don't get kicked BTW)
2 bans in las XX hours = accounts must b X + Y hours old to play
etc.

There's lots of ways you could do account aging and raise a barrier to discourage hackers. If static is easier to code, then do just that. If dynamic isn't too hard, then add that as an option. Or, more simply, have a minimum age requirement that can scale up as bans start coming in that slowly scales back down to the minimum where the minimum can be set to zero.

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942