• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Happy Birthday UrT! Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Dark-knight Icon

• Account: darkknight

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:02 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 18 August 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

15 years = Urban Terror is officially a classic :D

fyi, Urban Terror started off as a texture pack before it was a mod. So I think its a little older than 15, might be older than 16. :)

View PostbeautifulNihilist, on 09 September 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

there are no flaws in Urban Terror, only features.

#12 User is offline   Biddle Icon

• Account: biddle
  • Main tag: fr.

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:11 PM

It started out in 1998 as a planned mappack for Quake III Arena, in which real world environments would be featured. It expanded from this idea to a full total conversion featuring realistic weapons and gameplay similar to Action Quake 2. Silicon Ice Development was formed in spring 2000 and was made of several international developers, many whom were familiar with modifying Quake III Engine games; hence progress was made quickly.
Beta 1.0, released at QuakeCon 2000, gained popularity quickly, and many third party maps became available. The development team was expanded, and beta 1.27 was released in late 2000. Beta 2.0 was released in June 2001...

17 it seems! UrT is soone going to hit majority :)

#14 User is offline   Dark-knight Icon

• Account: darkknight

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:21 AM

View PostBladeKiller, on 30 August 2015 - 07:10 PM, said:

The only problem with that quote is Quake 3 Arena wasn't released in 1998 and only the test was released in October 1999. Quake III Arena was released Dec 2, 1999. UrT started as an idea by Bot Killer when he was playing Action Quake 2 but I don't think you count the time you got the idea in the time the game has been around. This would make Urban Terror HD about 8 years old now.

I count the public release of Urban Terror beta 1.0 which was August 5th, 2000 as the official birthday. This is also when I joined SID to work on beta 2.0. I had been doing skins for Q3 since October 1999 (I started with the Visor model that came in the Quake 3 Arena Test) and some of the SID developers knew me from my work.

I remember reading an interview with Bot Killer about urban terror. He said that he originally started to make the mappack for Action Quake II, but then decided to stop when Quake III was announced and just make it for Quake III instead.

This post has been edited by Dark-knight: 15 September 2015 - 01:44 PM

View PostbeautifulNihilist, on 09 September 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

there are no flaws in Urban Terror, only features.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:27 AM

The prehistory of Urban Terror, straight from the low-poly horse’s mouth

BotKiller on BotKiller, "I am the founder of the mod, started back in mid-September (yes, before Quake 3 came out). It started as just a skin pack for Quake 3 and a map I made for Quake 2 that I ported over to Quake 3 (I only put machine guns in my maps so it was half way real). I also map for this project, I have finished one map, and am finishing another. I do just about all the web site work, including most of the forum reply's too. I do a lot of miscellaneous work, all those odd-job things."

— Oswald’s developer interviews from April 2000

Presumably he converted that map after the Q3Tools (mapping tools) release sometime between December 10 and December 22, since it would’ve been a bit complicated without it. The skin pack was trivial since there had been no less than seven stripped-down networking test releases from April through November.

GottaBeKD: Originally, this mod began as a Quake 3 mapping project and Urban Terror was to come in the form of a few urban maps and textures. In February I saw the Urban Terror web page and fell in love with the maps and other media that the team had created. This was around the time that ID released their Quake 3 source and I had already began coding a realisitc-genre mod.

— HellChick’s interview with SID from June 2000

The mod making mayhem kicked off in January 15 with the release of the Quake 3 SDK. Now it became possible to create proper mods, including full conversions like one Urban Terror. Originally, UrT had a homepage at q3mods.net (the team consisted of BotKiller and Preacher back then), but this was unfortunately deleted when they moved to PlanetQuake. Only the latest version of the FAQ remains, archived on April 8, 2000. As you can see, the full conversion was well underway at this point.

One of the controversial questions regarding Urban Terror is its relationship to Action Quake 2 and Counter-Strike, namely just how much of a ripoff is it, if at all. What do the people who created it have to say about that?

dokta8: Personally, I am ambivalent about the comparison. On one hand Action Quake is a central and very important source of inspiration forUrban Terror, and I think that comes through strongly in the current versions of the mod. We owe a HUGE debt to the trails blazed by the A-Team. On the other hand, I don't want to be limited by the mold of other mods, or worse still, seen as a rip-off of other mods. I prefer to think of Urban Terror as being in the 'genre' of Action Quake; in the same way that James Bond is perhaps the seminal work in the genre of 'spy movies', it doesn't mean that other spy movies can't be made, or that they necessarily have to fit the mould carved out by Ian Fleming.

GottaBeKD: It seems every Jack and Jill out there wants to compare Urban Terror to Action Quake or Counter Strike and I feel there's nothing wrong with that. Most of the team comes from an Action Quake background and our initial motivation for Urban Terror is to provide an Action Quake fix for all the Quake 3 gamers out there. However, while our first release will seem very similar to Action Quake, gamers can expect a wide variety of additional features being added to the game in subsequent releases of Urban Terror.

Oswald: Before jumping aboard the development team, I had been keeping tabs on a handful of mod development teams which were looking to create a successor to Action Quake 2. While that is a big order to fill, there were some teams who showed promise. Of course at the forefront was The A-Team with their surprise announcement of Action Unreal Tournament (not Action Quake 3). Many of the other mods were based on the Quake 3 engine, Urban Terror included. I see all the realism mods now are building on the foundation laid by Action Quake 2.

— HellChick’s interview

Something that many people discussing the history of UrT don’t realize is just how many “realism” mods there were between 1998 and 2001. Quake 3 alone had some two dozen total conversions in development at the time themed around soldiers/mercenaries/terrorists/police. Most of these mods never reached the release stage and the ones that enjoyed some popularity have been thoroughly forgotten by now (only True Combat is still marginally alive). Many of them were directly inspired by AQ2 and CS and took notes from each other.

Fun fact: Back then, UrT was commonly compared to another Q3 mod called Navy Seals — not to be confused with the Quake 1 mod Navy SEALs by no one else than Minh Le who later went on to work on AQ2 and then created CS. You see, it’s all like intertwined on genetic level and stuff. *takes a long pull on a joint*

Timeline:

1998-11-12: Action Quake 2 v1.0c released
1999-06-12: Counter-Strike beta 1.0 released
1999-09-??: BotKiller comes up with some vague idea to mod Quake 3, creates a skin pack for Q3Test
1999-12-02: Quake 3 released
1999-12-??: Quake 3 mapping tools released
2000-01-15: Quake 3 SDK released
2000-02-??: Urban Terror has morphed into a map pack with several titles in development; first coders arrive
2000-04-08: Urban Terror has morphed into a full conversion at some point in the previous two months
2000-06-07: Developers interviewed on PlanetQuake, screenshots from an internal alpha shown
2000-08-05: Urban Terror beta 1.0 released
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

#18 User is offline   Snowball Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: snowball

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:30 PM

Happy birthday.

Keepin' it moving!

#19 User is offline   Biddle Icon

• Account: biddle
  • Main tag: fr.

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:01 PM

View PostBladeKiller, on 16 September 2015 - 07:45 PM, said:

I did the pain sounds though and those are still used.

Oh mama! That turned on more than one!

It's nice to read through all those details :)

#20 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:10 PM

View PostBiddle, on 17 September 2015 - 03:01 PM, said:

Oh mama! That turned on more than one!

It's nice to read through all those details :)

Haha yeah i wonder what you were doing when you recorded that painsound ;D
haha it always made me giggle a lot as a kiddo back in the days xD
Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942