Urban Terror Forums: UrbanZone CTF 5v5 League want your opinion! - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UrbanZone CTF 5v5 League want your opinion! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:25 PM

We have been running our CTF 5v5 league now for 3 seasons. And it's been great to see there is still a growing interest by teams and clans to compete in the CTF scene in our community.

But now, we have been asking our selfs whether or not we should take a measure to reduce the effect of asymmetric maps and provide a more balanced competitive playground.

For 3 seasons now, we have been using a system where a match consist out of 2 maps of 20 minutes, each chosen by the teams, where the other team can pick side on the map of choice of the opponent. The team with most flag captures on a map wins that map.

Now some of us believe that if we should chance this to a system where a match consist out of 2 maps of 20 minutes, each chosen by the teams, but both teams will be playing 10 minutes each side. As before, the team with most flag captures on a map wins.

So to recap in a table:

[table]
[tr][td]current system[/td]
[td]suggested new system[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]2 maps each match[/td]
[td]2 maps each match[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]each team pick 1 map out of the map poule[/td]
[td]each team pick 1 map out of the map poule[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]each map last 20 minutes,
your opponent pick side on your map
[/td]
[td]each map last 20 minutes, but both team play
10 minutes on blue side and 10 minutes on red side
[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]team with most flag captures on 1 map wins[/td]
[td]flag captures combined from both side, team with
most flag captures wins the map
[/td][/tr]
[/table]

We need your input!

#2 User is offline   LORD OF DOOM (old) Icon

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:37 PM

Clans need to know the map they pick.... Not that I am against change, it's just that when you train on some home map you better know how to be good from both sides! I think the swap teams rule will even out too much and make clans too lazy to train for a home map and the weaker side.

UTZ has been known to be lazy so we know what map to pick as a home map :P

#3 User is offline   Decoy Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: decoy
  • Main tag: .:|

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:51 PM

oldskool is best imo  :evil:

:roll:

#4 User is offline   m3h. (old) Icon

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:53 PM

after the experience in cb cup games, i prefer 2 x 10 mins each map, cause some maps r not fair and that way every team plays every side.
2x10 mins can b confusing, but it turned out to b much more fun.

#5 User is offline   Tidus Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: tidus

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:25 PM

The fact is that CTF as a gametype in 99% of games is best played on symmetrical maps. Now the fact is that Urban Terror only have a couple of those maps, we therefore end up with having to pick maps that we are sure of being able to win on both sides. I.E a great CTF map such as Algiers is never gonna be picked because you are assured that your opponent will take the red side and have an advantage over you. We end up with maps such Riyadh, Austria and other huge slow maps instead of the like of Algiers or Abbey, which are a lot more fast paced.

2X10 mins remove the advantage of sides and will even out the bases of a match. Then it's the best trained and most skilled teams that wins, not the ones who picked the best sides; and that's what a competition should reflect, who is the best, not who picked the best side of a map. Lord of Doom in the end with 2x10 minutes you still have to train both sides, as you are assured to play both, if you don't, you'll lose. I can also give the same argument about 2x20 mins, it makes team lazy as they only need to train one side. It was successful on CB and most of the top clans actually like 2x10 mins more than 1x20 per map.

Either that or get mappers to make symmetrical maps ;)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Nvb Icon

•   league admin   
    www.urban-zone.org
  • Account: nvb

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:31 PM

i vote for 2x10. it might need more preparation and concentration but it also makes the game more interesting. as a bonus you less anxious to pick unbalanced maps.

#7 User is offline   BludShoT Icon

• Account: bludshot
  • Main tag: [T]

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:37 PM

New system sounds better out of those 2 choices.

However, I dislike ties, and prefer the north american format where there are no ties. Both your old format and the current north american format are bad for uneven maps though - but it's really the uneven maps that are bad, and they should not be used. Luckily in NA pretty much only 1 map that is used is a problem in this regard, and that's Algiers. Which is an easy fix, because we should just stop using algiers and problem solved.

Your new format works with uneven maps - however, those maps still aren't as fun as more even maps.

Basically the general euro format is sort of boring like soccer, where as the north american format is exciting like hockey.

Flame on!  :-D

#8 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:06 PM

BludShoT link=topic=11983.msg160046#msg160046 date=1219693033]

I would rather say the flaming in competition scene these days are too 'weak' compared to what used to be said around these places!! :D

#9 User is offline   Tidus Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: tidus

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:28 PM

BludShoT link=topic=11983.msg160046#msg160046 date=1219693033]
New system sounds better out of those 2 choices.

However, I dislike ties, and prefer the north american format where there are no ties. Both your old format and the current north american format are bad for uneven maps though - but it's really the uneven maps that are bad, and they should not be used. Luckily in NA pretty much only 1 map that is used is a problem in this regard, and that's Algiers. Which is an easy fix, because we should just stop using algiers and problem solved.

Your new format works with uneven maps - however, those maps still aren't as fun as more even maps.

Basically the general euro format is sort of boring like soccer, where as the north american format is exciting like hockey.

Soccer and hockey are both as boring tbh :x

I think 2x10 mins of algiers is more exciting than the STA system.

#10 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:39 PM

Played Algiers in STA 2 nights ago. 2 x 25 minutes on Algiers in 6v6 without spawnwave was ... different.
I felt it was more chaotic and less coordination compared to spawnwave where you time the rushing with your teammates.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942