• Account: h3nry
  • Main tag: .um

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:07 AM

ill 3rd that one :)

#12 User is offline   StonedLemming (old) Icon

• LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:17 AM

:: GRAPHICS ::

The graphics aren't great obviously, but then again you don't need a $3000 rig to run the game. However, as time goes by and the average machine specs increases, so too will the graphics need to improve and i wonder what the dev's of UrT and ioQuake have up their sleeve in this area. I think the model and weapon skins, as well as the textures, are on the border as it is.

:: SOUND ::

The sound effects aren't bad, but seem a bit unrealistic at times. I'll be keeping an eye out for a custom sound pack (or will make my own). More bothersome is the seemingly lack of ability to determine direction, as though stereo separation isn't wide enough. I found some cvar's for tweaking this, but they evidently aren't supported fully. Then again, i had been used to playing on a 5.1 system and moving to headphones eliminates the ability to tell if a sound is coming from front or back.

Have you tried 27's VBO engine enhancements?
Works a treat if you got the hardware for it.

As for the weird sound, Q3 wasnt made for surround, and as such it sounds kind of goofy, luckily for you, that has been adressed by christophe's SAM engine.

27's VBO stuff: (needs OpenAL)
http://forums.urbant...ic,10560.0.html

Christophe's Ikalizer SAM engine:
http://forums.urbant...pic,9878.0.html

Sadly, i havent found a way to run both at the same time as a single executable..

#13 User is offline   michaeljackson (old) Icon

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:29 AM

Graphic modifications are also being made.

Current: Posted Image
4.2: Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Hoody Icon

• Account: hoody
  • Main tag: pnk|

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:47 AM

Hi a.t.o.m., I played you a few times. Good player and nice guy ').

As far as sprint goes, you know you can just hold down your left and right strafe buttons to sprint too, right? I don't even have a sprint button.

Gun balance is lovely, and I like that the LR and the M4 are the same, because it allows a gun choice based on style over substance for once. It's not like there's a finite number of slots and the M4 is keeping out other guns (like that delicious p90), but in their wisdom (and I think they have got it right) FS have kept things pretty simple.

Graphics? Well, there's other games for eye-candy. I like the old-school feel. If you have time to notice ppl floating off the ground, you aint moving fast enough! ;)

#15 User is offline   MerkyMerc Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: merkymerc

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:43 AM

Very true that it isn't finite (or is it? I dunno the engines limitations). Though time was spent on modeling/skinning/animating it etc..time that could have been put toward the P90  :wink:

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Atomman Icon

• Account: atomman

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:10 AM

@StonedLemming - i'll check those add-ons for sure. thenks!

@Hoody - thank for the compliment :)
to sprint using the L/R strafe keys, isn't there a CVAR that has to be enabled, but isn't by default?  i thought i read something somewhere but i forget where and punching both strafe keys doesn't sprint for me.  if you don't know off the top of your head, forget about it - i can find it again i'm sure.

@michaeljackson - yeah, i saw similar shots elsewhere on the forum - looks MUCH better!

on the cheating subject - is it a big problem?  i can't say i've noticed anything particularly strange yet, just some MIGHTY GOOD players :)

#17 User is offline   Crazylys Icon

• Account: crazylys

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:13 AM

on the cheating subject - is it a big problem?  i can't say i've noticed anything particularly strange yet, just some MIGHTY GOOD players :)

There is mighty good players. There is cheaters as well that get hopefully ban once spotted.
Since it seems Urban Terror 4 has gain back some more popularity attracting new players, you always get some new asshats in the pack.

#18 User is offline   Hoody Icon

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:16 AM

There are a fair amount of cheaters, but they fall into probably three categories:

1. blatantly obvious and get kicked/banned within minutes
2. not blatantly obvious, but so inept at using their hacks that they may as well not bother
3. very good at hiding their hacks, and seem to be leet. These are the worst kind, and who knows how many there might be?

Either way, my experience is never ruined by cheats. In fact, it's sometimes fun to spec one, record a demo, then rip into him knowing he's screwed.

IMO most fall into categories 1 or 2. I always spec great players to get hints, and they are usually just that. Great.

(PS holding left and right strafe worked right out of the box for me)

#19 User is offline   wraith4.x (old) Icon

• Urban Soul
  • Locationthe depths

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:33 PM

holding left and right strafe for sprint doesn't work for me (as in it doesn't work at all)...

#20 User is offline   Hoody Icon

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:49 PM

holding left and right strafe for sprint doesn't work for me (as in it doesn't work at all)...

From manual:

"Sprint (alternate) Alternate method of sprinting (only works
when you have strafe left bound and strafe
right each bound to a single key only)
Hold left and right
strafe keys, while
pressing move
forward."

Perhaps you guys have more than one key bound to strafe?

It's in the manual and it definitely works for me  :|

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942