Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ut4_boxtrot_x3 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   lee (old) Icon

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:55 AM

i had not planned on ever updating this from the last version, but then i found out that my no damage shader was causing the whole map to be drawn more than once causing the less than ideal fps for the size of the map. so i figured i would implement the new shader i use for nodamage that doesnt cause that to happen. so now the fps is pretty solid for even my crappy computer. i also caulked a ton of non visible surfaces. here is a list of the other changes:

i lowered some boxes in a few spots by 8units so you dont have to jump at exactly the right spot to get up on them now

made the middle slick platform jump a little harder for some and easier for others  :roll: lol

i had to redo the lighting since my shaders changed, i tried to get it back to pretty much how it was, because i liked it that way

i made the area straight out of the spawn a little bit more usable for the newbs

the side 2nd story halls are now all a wall jump and grab or 2 wall jumps to get up to (its where the new transparent box is)

now the slick halls have my favorite changes, first i made the area as you come out from spawn a dualing sniper area (watch out for curbstomps though hehe) really you are going to need a gun with a scope for that hall now, as the cover is to great and the distance to long to compete against another pro otherwise.

the box staircase now has a ramp so you dont have to hop up, and the entrance to bridge is a 'little' easier to manage.

in the gap between ice segments there is now a booster that launchs you up onto the middle of the bridge, and you can jump and continue to fall down to the one on the other side, so basically you can make huge arches over and over. lol it makes me laugh and i love it so much, i dont know how useful it will be and thats why i decided not to put it in the last version. but it will up the fun level i think  :lol:

my friend wanted to see through the bridge floor, so i just made the whole floor transparent.

there are a few other changes that would be to hard to describe.

it still supports all common game types and bots!

lets hope i didnt forget anything  :-o

download:
http://www.dejgaming..._boxtrot_x3.pk3

#2 User is offline   Mission85 Icon

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:10 AM

u can already download it from dejgaming.com, just click here

adding it to the maplist right now

#3 User is offline   mindriot Icon

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:35 AM

i had not planned on ever updating this from the last version, but then i found out that my no damage shader was causing the whole map to be drawn more than once causing the less than ideal fps for the size of the map. so i figured i would implement the new shader i use for nodamage that doesnt cause that to happen. so now the fps is pretty solid for even my crappy computer.

what exactly was the problem with the nodamage shader?  i'm curious about what setting would cause a redraw.

#4 User is offline   lee (old) Icon

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

2.4.2 Power Has a Price
The shader script gives the designer, artist and programmer a great deal of easily accessible power over the appearance of and potential special effects that may be applied to surfaces in the game world. But it is power that comes with a price tag attached, and the cost is measured in performance speed. Each shader phase that affects the appearance of a texture causes the Q3:A engine to make another processing pass and redraw the world. Think of it as if you were adding all the shader-affected triangles to the total r_speed count for each stage in the shader script. A shader-manipulated texture that is seen through another shader manipulated texture (e.g.; a light in fog) has the effect of adding the total number of passes together for the affected triangles. A light that required two passes seen through a fog that requires one pass will be treated as having to redraw that part of the world three times.

this was the one that caused the problem (having the light stage is enough to make it redraw)

textures/ajump/stoneS
{
    surfaceparm nodamage
    {
        map textures/ajump/stoneS.jpeg
    }
    {
        map $lightmap
        blendfunc filter
    }
}

here is the new one that doesnt cause that:

textures/boxtrot/boxstone:q3map
{
    surfaceparm nodamage
}

#5 User is offline   wraith4.x (old) Icon

• Urban Soul
  • Locationthe depths

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:05 AM

:lol: love this map..

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   lee (old) Icon

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:41 AM

thanks, me too  :lol:

to bad no one with a popular ctf server will host it, i really think the pro ctf players would love it, but its not out there for them to play. i mean what is the point of us building all these jump skills if we dont ever play maps like this? this map was made for ctf but gets hosted on every other game mode lol... dont get me wrong i thank everyone of those server owners  :lol: but ctf is clearly the jumpers mode  8-)

#7 User is offline   wraith4.x (old) Icon

• Urban Soul
  • Locationthe depths

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

ctf is clearly the jumpers mode  8-)

agreed..

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942