Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

my overclock Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Mission85 Icon

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

ok, i have this cheap mobo MSI K9AGM3-FIH with amd x2 4200+ brisbane cpu. (btw i bought it a year ago.. prices are so low on cpus now that it makes me sad  :cry: )

This cheap mobo doesnt come with any overclocking abilities, so i did some searching around and found a program that is able to overclock on my mobo.

So i decided to see what i could do... i up'd it to 2.3ghz, then 2.4ghz. checked temps.. waited, waited, waited, then checked again.. hmm.. still on 67 degrees F idle. So i launch Left4Dead, play through a campaign in versus mode, then close game check temps, my cpu got up to 91 degrees F. Is this bad? I am only using the stock heatsink/fan setup.

However i have a 80mm fan in the back + a huge 24cm fan on the side of my case.

let me know what u think...

*goes to bed.. zzzZZZ

#2 User is offline   Nitro (old) Icon

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:27 PM

91F  is still ok    but your  not really testing your pc under stress by running  L4D 

you should run prime95  or equivalent for atleast  20-30mins to see what  kind of temps you get then.

if you want to make sure its stable and wont crash  then you should runs these tests longer

#3 User is offline   H3NRY Icon

• Account: h3nry
  • Main tag: .um

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:47 PM

is your stock cooler a passive cooler or does it have a fan?
if it is passive just get a small fan and attach it to the heat sink, makes a HUGE difference.
thats how i run my 4200+ brisbane at 5200+ (2712.5mhz)

#4 User is offline   Hayame Icon

• Account: hayame

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:20 PM

i like using Fahrenheit for temperature in teh real world, and Celsius for cpu and computer stuff...

anyway, my cpu used to hit 50c on stock cooler.(couldn't go 3.0ghz yet)

now with my new 9700, it hits 40c when i boot up. and when i game with urt Or usually do my stuff (pron lol not) and everything else, after 7 hours or more, maybe a 1c+ gain. this is at 3.0ghz btw.

#5 User is offline   Mission85 Icon

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

ya, thats with factory heatsink/fan combo.  I know its probably not much of a stress test, but i ran the stability test that is in nvidia control panel (it tested all components not just gpu) for 6 hours last night while i was sleeping. Everything was fine when i got up. Never crashed, but i will download prime95 and give it a test with that.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Nitro (old) Icon

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:55 PM

i dont see it being a problem  just yet since your only overclock from 2.2GHz  to 2.4GHz  but its always good to do a stress testfor peace of mind that you know no matter what you throw at your computer it will handle it :)

#7 User is offline   Mission85 Icon

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:11 AM

ok.. so i ran prime85 on blend

i ran it for 1 hour
'Overclocked to 2415.9MHz
temps
20C idle
45C highest temp reached while running prime

i think tonight i will run it at 2600MHz and see how it does.

I tried setting it to 2700MHz but it instantly bsod's on me. (probably ram :) ) but o well.

Im currently looking at getting this to replace my current cpu - newegg

Its cheap and unlocked - worth it?  My pc is only for webdesign/gaming/mapping

I know that a quad core is great in all, but there expensive also, and most of the games i play utilize only one core anyway. But a dual core is what i want at least, i would go tri or quad but not sure i would get the gain that i would expect for the price.

#8 User is offline   Hayame Icon

• Account: hayame

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:16 AM

try, upping the voltage. should be increments in .250 intervals.

try adding another .500 to your default voltage.

#9 User is offline   Mission85 Icon

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:17 AM

try, upping the voltage. should be increments in .250 intervals.

try adding another .500 to your default voltage.

lol, did u lookup my mobo... has 0 overclocking ability. unless theres some software out there that i can use to up the voltage, otherwise i have nothing to change the voltages with.. :(

*needs new mobo also

#10 User is offline   H3NRY Icon

• Account: h3nry
  • Main tag: .um

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:23 AM

you can pinmod it :D i found( just tried random pins tell i got the desired voltage) a pinmod for 1.38(it fluctuates from 1.4 to 1.8.     instead of stock 1.35)
Posted Image

WHOOPS  ment to say fluctualtes from 1.4 to 1.38

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942