Urban Terror Forums: My proposals for the new version of urban terror : maps and bots - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

My proposals for the new version of urban terror : maps and bots Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   Ronaldlee Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: ronaldlee

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:47 PM

Back with some info`s about bots and 3rd party maps.
I`ve started making maps and using this topic http://forums.urbant...ic,14735.0.html and this tutorial http://bubba.planetq...om/mapping.html and after a week i have managed to make myself 2 maps that have bot support . I have placed my 3rd party maps in my q3ut4 folder and start playing and to my surprise the game did not crash. To create the maps i just used what ever textures come from the original urban terror assets. It is posible that by using only textures from the urban terror assests pack i have eliminated the risc or crash ?

It is posible that in the future release some map making tools will be included? along with a 3rd party map pack ?

Please put these maps up on a dedicated server so I can visit and check out your stability.

#62 User is offline   Creation Icon

• Account: creation

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:16 AM

RonaldLee[1up] : creation.no-ip.org:27960 is my dedicated internet server that runs my two 3rd party maps along with the other maps that have a great bot support. The server did not crash .

meister : yes it is possible :P http://creation.no-i...wnloads/q3ut4/  there you will find my two 3rd party maps:
                      ut4_first_room - a simple map, a small room
                      ut4_tress - another simple map with trees

The server and the site run on my pc from 8 to 23 EET ( Romanian Time) so if they don`t work it means that my pc is not turned on. So if you want to join RonaldLee[1up] try to make it today because from friday untill monday i will be away.

#63 User is offline   Creation Icon

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:24 PM

RonaldLee[1up] i just created another 3rd party map using only the resources from urban terror map pack and the result was the same: no crash !. So i say it is no problem assuming that by enlarging the map pack(by accepting 3rd party maps) that comes with urban terror whe can create a way to make the bots stable. I jyust put my last 3rd party map on my internet dedicated server and all goes well.

The other way i suppose it will be that map makers only use the resources that comes with the urban terror map pack.

#64 User is offline   Creation Icon

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

RonaldLee[1up] how are thing going with the bot project ? Did you found people to help you ? :)

#65 User is offline   Ronaldlee Icon

•   clan leader   

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:28 AM

RonaldLee[1up] how are thing going with the bot project ? Did you found people to help you ? :)

I have been making a CTF / TDM map for weeks on-end. Nearing the finish line, but I will go through and prep this one for bot play and then make serious tests. So my bot project is on hold because I am making a map that I intend to put up on a 1up server that will work with bots. I know that arena1 and arena2 will work fine with bots, so why not my own awesome creation. The golden rule is not to have any push-button objects (doors must auto-open).

#66 User is offline   Creation Icon

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:55 PM

Happy New Year !(even if it is too late) RonaldLee[1up], any news about the stage of my proposal? :) Something good something bad... anything ? :)

#67 User is offline   Ronaldlee Icon

•   clan leader   

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:56 AM

View Postcreation, on 21 January 2010 - 05:55 PM, said:

Happy New Year !(even if it is too late) RonaldLee[1up], any news about the stage of my proposal? :) Something good something bad... anything ? :)

I hired a coder and am making a mod. When completed it will run at 1up. That is all the forum rules allow me to say.

#68 User is offline   2.f4 Icon

• Account: 2f4

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:31 PM

i wont start newe topic so i use this one
2 things:

1st (informative)
when i add two lvl5 bots ex:
/addbot cockroach 5
/addbot cockroach 5

or any 2 bots combination (cockroach + cougar or boa etc)

then second one is much weaker than first and most of time cant win 1v1 with first added (tested many times on ut4_firingrange)

2nd (request)
could any experienced mapmaker made bot friendly map with size like dressingroom (+/-)
but square or circle. without any walls with FFA respawn at whole area.
?

regards and sorry for "engllish" ;)

2.f4
made by: google translator and common sense

#69 User is offline   jpswensen (old) Icon

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:20 AM

I have been reading a lot about bots and the problems that sometimes occur. It seems that there are a variety of user experiences associated with trying to get bots working. Some people have no problems, others are able to fenagle parameters and mapcycles, other burn incense and chant arcane chants, while other (like myself) have no luck whatsoever. Rather than try the round-about methods I have seen so far, I downloaded the sources from SVN, compiled them with debugging symbols, and ran the program in GDB to see exactly where it is crashing.

Here is the callstack:
Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at address: 0xaa268b38
0x004e019b in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0 0x004e019b in ?? ()
#1 0x0004a442 in VM_Call (vm=0x12fce0, callnum=8) at code/qcommon/vm.c:744
#2 0x00010caa in SV_Frame (msec=1) at code/server/sv_main.c:866
#3 0x0002ba1c in Com_Frame () at code/qcommon/common.c:2856
#4 0x0009da58 in main (argc=24, argv=0xbffff5e8) at code/sys/sys_main.c:607

It appears that VM_Call is "overloaded" for two cases: one where a virtual machine is being used (I'm assuming this had something to do with the original quake scripting language) and the other is a static DLL where functions are called natively. I am willing to work on this problem (I have several years of experience as an embedded software engineer for an aerospace company), but am wondering if any of the core developers have time to answer questions. I think this would be mostly up-front questions about the architecture of the system and help getting my brain wrapped around the server code.

I can't make any promises about making the bots better (I have exactly ZERO AI experience), but I'm pretty confident I can get the bots crashing servers issue resolved. Any core developers willing to be a mentor while I get up to speed?

~John

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942