Urban Terror Forums: hey, need to borrow some cpu time! (only reply if your in linux) - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

hey, need to borrow some cpu time! (only reply if your in linux) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   slackin Icon

• Account: slackin
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:05 PM

hey, so I have a shitty computer and need to borrow some cpu time, I figure its a major pain in da you know what to ask you to compile my map every time i need it, so I was wonder if anyone would maybe gimme a user account with ftp and ssh with access to q3map2? If you can help, hit me up, you know who I am! (EMAIL: slackin@att.blackberry.com) (IM yahoo/aim: slackin35 msn: slackin@live.com)

NOTE: only smokin computers(dual/quad core x64 machines basicly) with linux need respond.

#2 User is offline   Rambetter Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: rambetter

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:35 PM

Hey dude.  I may be able to hook you up if nobody else can, but this would be a workstation at home (meaning not in a data center).  Also I'd have to leave it on 24/7 I guess, which isn't too much of a problem.  So, if someone gave you access to a server machine that would be more convenient.  I have a quad-core Xeon 2.7GHz machine with 8 gigs of RAM running Debian Lenny amd64.  Another problem is that I had NVIDIA driver stability issues until recently, so I may have to reboot the machine from time to time if the issues have not yet been sorted out (trying the latest beta drivers from NVIDIA now).

Why do you need such a beefy machine to compile a map?  Only Icy Jumps needs that, no other map should.  :-)

What kind of compile settings do you have?  How much RAM will your process take?  Will it be running on all 4 cores for the lighting stage?  (The other stages, BSP and VIS, aren't able to use more than one core as far as I know).  How many hours will your compile take each time?

#3 User is offline   slackin Icon

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:59 AM

well its not that i need a machine THAT bad ass(nice machine bro!) my machine is just old n crappy n slow as all heck, this map isnt taking too long to compile yet, but its still a minute, and as it gets bigger its gonna start to be a pain, cause i havent even started to add much detail yet. like so far, got teh buildings, but no lighting anywhere, just using ambient and lightmap stage goes nice n quick. its the vis but i think i found where a problem might be with that.....  idk, I'll let you know if this gets worse, as it is right now, i can deal with it, but if it starts taking much longer, jesus!

#4 User is offline   Rinsmaster Icon

• Account: rinsmaster
  • Main tag: O.O|

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:55 PM

That's not very bad... I'm used to 5+ minute test(!) compiles, just use the time to do something else :P
*cough* http://xkcd.com/303/ *cough*

#5 User is offline   slackin Icon

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:45 PM

That's not very bad... I'm used to 5+ minute test(!) compiles, just use the time to do something else :P
*cough* http://xkcd.com/303/ *cough*

when i say a "minute" i mean like 60-180minutes

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Rinsmaster Icon

• Account: rinsmaster
  • Main tag: O.O|

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:31 PM

Ahh, yea that's quite bad :/

#7 User is offline   slackin Icon

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:42 AM

i loved that little cartoon you posted

#8 User is offline   rfx Icon

• Account: rfx

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:05 PM

Have you considered using Amazon EC2 cloud? List of instance type prices is here: http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/#pricing .

I don't think you will benefit much from multi-core machines unless q3map2 is targeted at it (which I doubt, I'ld like to be corrected though!).

You can just grab a small existing image like Debian, install your binary, create your own new image and upload it to S3.

I've been using those services on demand at work and in private and never have been disappointed. Granted, the initial learning curve can be steep, but meanwhile there are plentyof  Google results out there to get started.

I almost starting working on an automated build and deploy/start server system. Just didn't saw the real value in the end :P

YMMV

#9 User is offline   slackin Icon

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:06 AM

you know, I'm not positive, but that looks REALLY fucking cheap, I mean for what I would be doing it would only take minutes, possibly seconds on a machine like that. and at a dime n hour, shiznit, I might check in to that further.

#10 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:51 AM

I have a quad Xeon 3.GHz with 6GB RAM.  I can make you an account and you can install what you need in the home directory.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942