Urban Terror Forums: Why does everyone like the 2D-ish maps so much ? - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Why does everyone like the 2D-ish maps so much ?

#1 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 10 April 2004 - 04:05 PM

I was just wondering why turnpike and casa are such popular maps. Both of them barely have true 3D spots where the enemy might be above you (I know, 2 bridges). Uptown and docks present players with a 3rd dimension where the enemy could be right on top of you. When quake 1 first came out it had the technological advantage of providing true 3D and now in urt the most played TS maps are mostly 2D maps.

SiD did an exellent job providing us with 3D maps like uptown, docks and (lol here) mines which add extra gameplay due to this 3rd dimension being used (dare I mention hotel from beta1 or armoury which were 2 really fun maps to play). I really wonder about what you all have to say on this subject.

#2 User is offline   Sachem (old) Icon

• LocationFrance

Posted 10 April 2004 - 05:51 PM

First, I wouldn't call these 2d maps, especially not if it is to compare it with "3d" in games...

As for maps, it's true most people like better maps with 1 or maybe 2 levels, maybe because this way you have the right balance between too many routes and not enough, complexity doesn't fit with Urbanterror's gameplay I think.
In maps like uptown there are just too many walls, in Casa you can get to the enemy quickly and you can see large areas. In uptown you just don't see most of the map

#3 User is offline   mrp (old) Icon

• Locationuk

Posted 10 April 2004 - 05:59 PM

casa has alot of verticality ... b it sloped terrain or stairs + balconies ...

turnpike also has a degree of verticality.. but its slightly more subtle ...

but extreme verticality hinders gameplay imo .. just leads to sniper domination.

#4 Guest_Annihilator

Posted 10 April 2004 - 06:07 PM

Turnpike is definately a 2d map, casa is almost but not quite as much as turnpike. The introduction of lot of height also introduces a lot of campiness if it isn't done right. However, my favorite map has to be sliema which has lots 3d and really not all the much campiness. It's all in how it's done.

#5 User is offline   Blade (old) Icon

• LocationThe Netherlands.

Posted 10 April 2004 - 07:02 PM

Because it's EASY to only watch one level of play, ppl are to nub to turn their crosshair two centimeters up...

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Roadkill (old) Icon

• Locationroyal.stockholm.se

Posted 10 April 2004 - 10:00 PM

Personally it doesn't matter if it is a "2D" or a "3D" map. It is *how* the map is made and how the balance is. And tbh, the balance in uptown sucks imho (<<<--- important, just my opinion). Casa is probably the best made map ever released for Urt. The balance in turnpike is also good. IMO ofc. Good 3D maps then? Well, I am very inlove with Streets2 and noone can blame that map for being "2D". So, it's more within the design of the map, than the height of it I say. :)

#7 User is offline   Shminkyboy Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: shminkyboy

Posted 11 April 2004 - 03:35 AM

[quote name='"L3mMinG"]I was just wondering why turnpike and casa are such popular maps. Both of them barely have true 3D spots where the enemy might be above you (I know' date=' 2 bridges). Uptown and docks present players with a 3rd dimension where the enemy could be right on top of you. When quake 1 first came out it had the technological advantage of providing true 3D and now in urt the most played TS maps are mostly 2D maps.[/quote']

Dunno. They are fun maps though, so it's not tragic. Also the 'vertical maps' you've mentioned have been around a long time. Docks and uptown have both been with us for quite a while, almost the beginning, in the grand scheme of things. Even an awesome map can become overplayed after 3+ years.

I'm stupidly fascinated with vertical play myself, I used to love the Lithium mod (off-hand hook, yay!) on Quake 2, when i wasn't playing Night Hunters or AQ2.

There's a couple of cool third party maps out there that have decent vertical play, if you want to see them in play more, ask the server admin of your favorite server to add it to the rotation, most of them pretty much won't mind in my experience. They won't know what people like unless they are told, unless they play their server everyday.

#8 Guest_Fumle

Posted 11 April 2004 - 04:00 AM

I prefer having the enemy either behind or infront of me, not above or below me. :)

#9 User is offline   Roadkill (old) Icon

• Locationroyal.stockholm.se

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:45 AM

[quote name='"Fumle"]I prefer having the sheep either behind or infront of me' date=' not above or below me. :)[/quote']

FUMLE! OMFG!!!

:roll:

#10 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 11 April 2004 - 04:33 PM

Fumle omg, and such comments coming from a quake3 instagibber :)

Can't hotel from beta1 be easily converted to urt 3, even as 3rd party map, that totally owned :)

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942