Urban Terror Forums: Why does everyone like the 2D-ish maps so much ? - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Why does everyone like the 2D-ish maps so much ?

#21 Guest_C-X

Posted 17 April 2004 - 08:28 AM

[quote name='"Annihilator"]Turnpike is definately a 2d map' date=' casa is almost but not quite as much as turnpike. The introduction of lot of height also introduces a lot of campiness if it isn't done right. However, my favorite map has to be sliema which has lots 3d and really not all the much campiness. It's all in how it's done.[/quote']

amen. sliema is such an awesome map and probably my absolute favorite for non-symmetric CTF maps, for that exact reason: it has tons of z-axis fighting. the way the roofs staggered, it prevents camping. the crazy stairs and hiding places are superb too.

maps that have a lot of z-axis combat has always been my favorites, all the way back to quake 1: dm4 "the bad place" was practically vertical, and it ruled. for action quake i loved "murder on the rooftops" "actdam" and "locknload" - btw bbq actdam is a work of art, even though it made my 4mb video cry.

casa and turnpike are popular for ts. popular because you don't have to think a lot about where the enemy is coming from, the maps are very simple with a few crucial chokepoints, and the gameplay is simple. its hard to add verticality to a TS map because it makes for camping, and people whining about camping. the way to counter that is to add a lot of cover to the low areas (rommel and streets2 are a good examples). rommel is a much more fun map than casa in my opinion, and i would much rather play ts on it any day. unfortunately, people like neat choke-points and predictable play, so you rarely see it on a ts server. pity.

ctf players seem to like non-planar maps, and i'm one of them. you see rommel, sliema, streets2 (weird, but fun for ctf), golgotha, subway2 and maps like them on ctf servers all the time. im not happy in ctf on casa or abbey really, i dont think they were ever really meant to be for ctf. the gameplay on those maps really disappoints me for some reason when i play them.

i think it's all about game mode. ts players like predictable, simple maps. ctf players like complex, interconnected ones.

C-X

#22 Guest_Annihilator

Posted 17 April 2004 - 04:31 PM

I'm a bit fond of swim for ctf on occassion too, for similar reasons.

#23 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 18 April 2004 - 09:47 AM

technically, sliema is a mess....needs major work!

#24 Guest_Annihilator

Posted 18 April 2004 - 05:35 PM

Maybe, but I never seen performance issues on sliema (even the ones I see on other maps) and it's a really fun map to play.

#25 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 18 April 2004 - 06:03 PM

well, there are problems with performance on the rooftops...people can ignore it all they want....

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 Guest_Annihilator

Posted 18 April 2004 - 07:53 PM

It's not ignoring. I play the roof tops all the time and see no performace problems. Don't know what else I can say.

#27 User is offline   BludShoT Icon

• Account: bludshot
  • Main tag: [T]

Posted 18 April 2004 - 08:28 PM

For one thing the minimap isn't good at representing multiple levels, so that adds to the confusion in a more '3d' map. Also, the way sound works in q3 doesn't lend itself to being good for '3d' maps (in urban terror). In reality if you are on the first floor of a building, and someone is walking on the second floor, you won't hear it much, but in UrT it will sound as though they are on the same floor as you practically. Also, it's just easier to make flatter maps. With the falling damage in UrT, it makes it hard to have more '3d' maps that still maintain a fast pace, and gamers like fast pace for the mostpart.

#28 User is offline   dead (old) Icon

• LocationItaly

Posted 19 April 2004 - 11:41 AM

I think "3D" maps gives more interest to the game, but maybe only skilled players can appreciate the difference: if you are not able in multiple jumping and climbing you are pratically forced on the ground level as a target for snipers.
btw each map became boring if played again and again.

I don't know why, but from 3.0, a lot of good maps was completely forgotten:

sliema, laneway2, demolition, revolution, sands(ok huge map), druglord, golgotha and why not rejikiavik, armory2, paradise, cambridge and so on..

today casa, casa, docks, turnpike, docks, turnpike algiers and casa again and once a week uptown, rommel and streets2 :cry: :cry:

#29 User is offline   Gr4v3 (old) Icon

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:16 PM

[quote name='"Oswald"]well' date=' there are problems with performance on the rooftops...people can ignore it all they want....[/quote']

I never had the FPS bug in sliema :P

#30 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:42 PM

I don't know why, but from 3.0, a lot of good maps was completely forgotten:

sliema, laneway2, demolition, revolution, sands(ok huge map), druglord, golgotha and why not rejikiavik, armory2, paradise, cambridge and so on..

today casa, casa, docks, turnpike, docks, turnpike algiers and casa again and once a week uptown, rommel and streets2 :cry: :cry:

I totally agree, sure revo was a bit too big for TS but the nade scenes with the silly doors was so fun, most people now don't even know revolution was altered to the outside only for TS. Same thing with mines, love that map but never get more yes then no votes on a server. Armory and armory2 are still among my all time favorite maps. (I like swim too :))

This topic originally came to be just cause of what you said btw, getting tired off the constant casa/turnpike mapcycle, I actually rejoyce when something else pops up so ...

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942