Urban Terror Forums: [Suggestion] Improved automatic demo file naming - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

[Suggestion] Improved automatic demo file naming Rate Topic: -----

It's ok, but there's room for improvement

#11 User is offline   don Icon

• Account: don
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:53 AM

Um most people are smart enough to sort with date modified instead of filenames. :roll:
GlaD-don
Past teams:
Partners in Terror | The Dark | Team Terror | Noobs Gone Wild | Xor | Blight Gaming | Area 51 Gaming | Team Lzuruha | Besserman6 | Console | No Care Bears | Zing | Pro5 | American Idols | Team Canada | No Defiance | Unlimited Gaming
<3 to the people who built and sustained the North American competitive community over the years. xil, r, vex, icu, bos, .e, '`|v|~, iF, -x-, ill, un, xor, glad & all the rest. thanks for the games

#12 User is offline   Crazylys Icon

• Account: crazylys

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:56 AM

View Postdon, on 09 October 2009 - 02:53 AM, said:

Um most people are smart enough to sort with date modified instead of filenames. Posted Image

But you have to add some numbers or whatever to the player name for the autodemo thingie, else you would overwrite an already existing one. So instead of just numbering 1, 2, 3 etc, why not just use a timestamp in the filename.
Also sometimes while uploading a demo on a web server, the timestamps are altered on the file created on the server depending how it's done.

This post has been edited by Crazylys: 09 October 2009 - 03:33 AM

#13 User is offline   ScribbleRage Icon

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:41 PM

View Postdon, on 09 October 2009 - 02:53 AM, said:

Um most people are smart enough to sort with date modified instead of filenames. :roll:

If I download a demo from the website of some clan, it's date modified becomes useless. That's why IMO the filename should be similar to what it is now.

2011-05-23T14:31:00Z.ut4_eagle.TDM.dm_68

Date and time in a RFC 3339 format, the map name, the mode, and the file extension. Periods should be used to separate fields (as the map may have an underscore, underscores should not be delimiters). You could also include the server IP and port, but I'm not sure how much information is necessary.

EDIT: Wow. I really gravedug this thread, I apologize.

This post has been edited by ScribbleRage: 23 May 2011 - 03:41 PM

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942