Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old ut player worth coming back? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   rendorazor (old) Icon

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:19 PM

SO, i used to play this mod, about..... 8 years ago. always loved it and the old dev team was top notch.
was thinking about getting back into it, then i looked at the screen shots.......

WTH happened to the char models and skins... Bright orange jump suits? bright blue jump suits? what is this about..

not only does it ruin strats by making it harder to conceal ones self as a sniper... BUT, it just looks dumb.
I remember the old skins being duller. And i seem to remeber some of them even being different from map to map..
ie. a desert map used diff camo then a snow map.... (this WAS how it was, if the new gamer base is to noob to remember)

Just wanted to know 2 things... WHY .. o WHY would they change them to bright orange and blue...
and... has more of the game gotten jacked up.......
PLEASE only respond if you played this game back in the day.. as in 8 years ago... Version 3. i think?
cause if u are more noob then that you will have no point of reference.

#2 User is offline   MerkyMerc Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: merkymerc

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:28 PM

I remember those skins. The new skins are meant to stand out because the gameplay is a lot faster than older versions of UrT. Don't let skins stop you from enjoying the new version. Don't be living on shook street.

#3 User is offline   Nigel Icon

• Account: nigel

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:30 PM

View Postrendorazor, on 29 October 2009 - 06:19 PM, said:

SO, i used to play this mod, about..... 8 years ago. always loved it and the old dev team was top notch.
was thinking about getting back into it, then i looked at the screen shots.......

WTH happened to the char models and skins... Bright orange jump suits? bright blue jump suits? what is this about..

not only does it ruin strats by making it harder to conceal ones self as a sniper... BUT, it just looks dumb.
I remember the old skins being duller. And i seem to remeber some of them even being different from map to map..
ie. a desert map used diff camo then a snow map.... (this WAS how it was, if the new gamer base is to noob to remember)

Just wanted to know 2 things... WHY .. o WHY would they change them to bright orange and blue...
and... has more of the game gotten jacked up.......
PLEASE only respond if you played this game back in the day.. as in 8 years ago... Version 3. i think?
cause if u are more noob then that you will have no point of reference.

Hey,

I know EXACTLY what you mean! these new models are disgusting. period. I first saw/played this game in v2.6. I remember different maps WOULD have differentiating model skins, and that was awesome. Now all maps have the bright orange and blue teams lol. I'd say I miss version 3.7 the most, IMO it was the most stable and most fun to play. 4.x has its issues, but isn't HORRIBLE by any means.
The game is now standalone, so there is no more quake 3 or punkbuster. At this time there is NO anticheat and hacking/cheating is a problem throughout the community- but steps are being taken to fix this in the next release.
T
hat all being said, there are more servers online and more active players (it seems) then there was back in the Quake3 mod version of this game (at least over the past 4 or so years).
I came back to this game and have been having fun... If the last version you played was 3.x then you are in for one hell of a startling introduction to 4.x. I'd say go ahead and come on back, a bunch of of old schoolers are playing still- or slowly coming back here and there.
Can never hurt for the community to grow a little bit. If you decide to come back, come find me- I'd be happy to help you get back into it.

-Nigel!

#4 User is offline   rendorazor (old) Icon

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:45 PM

Hmmmm... the game play was fast and furious back in the day. I meen, that was the whole point of Urt, as aposed to tru comabat and other mods out at the time....

i am pretty sure i COULD never accept ANY reason given for the new Char skins.. EVER. There is no argument that could ever be made other then they wanted to cheapen the quality of the game. OR.. some where along the lines the dev team switched and the old one would not let them use their skins and the new one had no skiner so the MS painted a bunch of bright colors and called it done...... NO offense,,, o wait.. YES.

I am prob gona dl it tonight and give it a try, mainly cause i am aching for some CTF action and "crossfire" the game i have been playing has yet to add it in.

#5 User is offline   Civil Icon

• Account: civil

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:02 PM

It's worth coming back. The game play is still fast paced and really has no comparison to any other game out there still. Hits take some getting use to just like all the version of UrT, but you won't be dissapointed. Yes the game model skins are way to bright but it really won't matter when you see how fast things are going that you don't have time to "hide" if your in a good round.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   H3NRY Icon

• Account: h3nry
  • Main tag: .um

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:54 AM

in all honestly the things said beyond here are just from playing 3.2 a few times but they are accurate :)

ok so yes skins were duller but that was better how the speed was, now the speed has increased by at least a factor of 2 and wall jumping has made it so you can get to places you would have never even tried before giving the game more dimensions and making things a lot more fun adn making you use ALL of your FOV. not to mention the wall jumps making things insane for hitting people if you cant track them good.

honestly you will not regret it if you come back, you will get stuck on it... just play on respected and well admined servers or you will get annoyed by hackers.

hope to see ya in game!

H3NRY.um
Urban Mulchers, .um, H3NRY.um
Hacker?, GTFO! we don't care who you are if you hack.

sadly no servers at the moment

#7 User is offline   don Icon

• Account: don
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:02 AM

3.x skins were the best. I think 2.x were too dull for a fast paced game, and made target acquisition too hard. The new ones just look like crap, but that's partially due to poor quality models. It seems the dev team can't decide whether to do realistic skins or bright skins for competition. Imo 3.x struck the best balance as the skins and models looked good imo.
GlaD-don
Past teams:
Partners in Terror | The Dark | Team Terror | Noobs Gone Wild | Xor | Blight Gaming | Area 51 Gaming | Team Lzuruha | Besserman6 | Console | No Care Bears | Zing | Pro5 | American Idols | Team Canada | No Defiance | Unlimited Gaming
<3 to the people who built and sustained the North American competitive community over the years. xil, r, vex, icu, bos, .e, '`|v|~, iF, -x-, ill, un, xor, glad & all the rest. thanks for the games

#9 User is offline   Civil Icon

• Account: civil

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:03 PM

View PostBladeKiller, on 30 October 2009 - 07:28 PM, said:

The majority want skins they can see and I even get requests for a shader to make the skins glow for match play because even these ones are hard to see for some people. I did a public test of skins trying a variety of colours including old favourites from 2.x and these were rejected (even the b&w camo with black sweater skin was too hard to see and rejected). Personally, I don't care what colour they are but every time I try darker/desaturated coloured skins everyone complains and says they can't see them. There is a thread about the test skins you can read if you're interested. Prison uniforms are bright orange in real life and the SWAT officers in my neck of the woods actually wear blue with a gold stripe. Our military's forest camo is bright green (I was standing next to a shoulder in daylight) so most ppl's ideas about skins being too bright is not realistic. Of course, the lighting in the engine isn't realistic either so you have to take that into consideration.

Personally you did a good job helping the masses. Please o please don't make the skins glow for competition... part of FPS is seeing the enemy... if you can't see them... get out. The object of the game isn't so the blind could see whats going on right? People should really learn to adjust their gamma and make it work for them.

#10 User is offline   DG02 (old) Icon

• Locationup yer arse

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:16 PM

View Post/VeX/civil*, on 30 October 2009 - 09:03 PM, said:

Personally you did a good job helping the masses. Please o please don't make the skins glow for competition... part of FPS is seeing the enemy... if you can't see them... get out. The object of the game isn't so the blind could see whats going on right? People should really learn to adjust their gamma and make it work for them.

agree totally on the glow thing... that's retarded.

bright orange. ugh. its the new black? not.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942