Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

CANNOT LAUNCH UT ON MY MAC. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   FEDTODETH (old) Icon

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:59 PM

ok. just to let you know i am a pretty new mac user. i was VERY used to using a PC and when i got a macbook pro for my birthday i never went back to PC. so i'm still getting familiar with how to work everything such as the finder, dragging things onto the applications folder, etc.

anyways. i've been looking around for DAYS for an answer on how to get urban terror to run on my mac. i've found plenty of questions that have already been asked and about none that have been answered. MY PROBLEM IS:

i go here : http://www.urbanterror.net/page.php?11 i download the .zip file, because i'm on a mac and according to everyone .exe files don't work on macs. and i don't know what the hell linux is, so i just downloaded the .zip. it says to extract the .zip to a directory. so i do. the whole Urban_Terror_FULL_1.zip file is dragged into my applications. i don't have quake 3 so i have to install the ioUrbanTerror thing. so here's the part i don't get.

it says "Then right click the executable (ioUrbanTerror.exe or the linux/mac-equivalent) and create a shortcut to it and place it on your desktop." i don't know what the hell that means. when i've searched i've found people saying "just right click the ioUrbanTerror icon and make an alias and put it on your desktop." or they say "right click the ioUrbanTerror.app and click Show Package Contents, and then drag the .app icon into the same folder as the q3whatever it says." i do all of that and still, every time i try to run the ioUrbanTerror.app, it animates like it's about to launch and then nothing happens. i try again and nothing happens still. i uninstall EVERYTHING from urban terror, reinstall it, try again, and still, nothing works.

PLEASE: help me out. i've been wanting to play a modern FPS game on my mac and quake live is just not doing it. i want to play urban terror. i'm sick of downloading the 600 megabytes or however much it is to my computer and waiting for it to finally finish, all for it NOT to work. it pisses me off. if you search my query you'll find a good 10 or 11 people who have had the SAME problem. i stumbled across one thread on this site where someone actually resolved the problem, and all the answer was was just a bunch of numbers and stuff like "chmod" and "+x" and phrases like that. so i clearly do not understand, for i am still new to mac.

is there ANYONE out there who can help me fix this by giving me a step by step process, using phrases that a new mac user can actually understand? PLEASE HELP ME!

#2 User is offline   20eazykills Icon

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:37 PM

Step 1: Put the Urban Terror zip file that you downloaded off the internet into your applications folder.
Step 2: Double click on the zip and wait as it unarchives.
Step 3: Open the Urban Terror folder that it creates, and look for "ioUrbanTerror.app" (For mac users it should be the one with the blue/gray three bullets icon.

This should work for you, I have installed Urban Terror multiple times on 3 different macs, and a couple of PC's. If this still doesn't work let me know.

http://img682.images...picture7df.png/

http://img684.images.../picture8p.png/

This post has been edited by 20eazykills: 18 November 2009 - 07:38 PM

#3 User is offline   FEDTODETH (old) Icon

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:00 PM

View Post20eazykills, on 18 November 2009 - 07:37 PM, said:

Step 1: Put the Urban Terror zip file that you downloaded off the internet into your applications folder.
Step 2: Double click on the zip and wait as it unarchives.
Step 3: Open the Urban Terror folder that it creates, and look for "ioUrbanTerror.app" (For mac users it should be the one with the blue/gray three bullets icon.

This should work for you, I have installed Urban Terror multiple times on 3 different macs, and a couple of PC's. If this still doesn't work let me know.

http://img682.images...picture7df.png/

http://img684.images.../picture8p.png/

ok, do you mean don't extract it before i put it into my applications folder? cause i do that, and every time i click the ioUrbanTerror.app still it does nothing. it just fails to launch.

#4 User is offline   20eazykills Icon

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:20 PM

Hmmm It launches fine for me from the desktop.
lets see if you have a q3config.cfg

Step 1: Open your harddrive
Step 2: Open the folder that says "Users"
Step 3: Choose the user that you are trying to install Urban Terror on.
Step 4: Open the Folder called "Library"
Step 5: Open the folder called "Application Support"
Step 6: Open the folder called "Quake 3"
Step 7: Open the folder called "q3ut4"

That is where your q3config is located, and where demos, screenshots, and maps are saved to when you take them, so I would drag that q3ut4 folder into the column to the left for future reference.

If you don't have a "Quake 3" or "q3ut4" folder there is a problem..

http://yfrog.com/09picture10vhp

/edit heres a better pic

This post has been edited by 20eazykills: 18 November 2009 - 08:23 PM

#5 User is offline   FEDTODETH (old) Icon

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:23 PM

i never had quake 3 if that's what you're talking about..

how do you open the "users" folder from the finder?

all i'm trying to do is use the ioUrbanTerror.app instead of the full quake 3 thing.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   20eazykills Icon

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

I never had or played quake 3 either. Whenever Urban Terror opens, it creates a Quake3 folder with q3ut4 and the q3config inside if there is not one already there.

I'm trying to find out the reason why your Urban Terror refuses to open.

#7 User is offline   FEDTODETH (old) Icon

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:34 PM

ahhh ok i see. well it's about to finish downloading again, so i'll let you know after it's done..

so once it's finished i DONT extract the complete urban terror zip folder? i just drag the .zip straight into my applications and then double click it while it's in there?

cause on the site it says to extract it once you're done downloading.

how exactly do you get to the "users" folder in the hard drive? where exactly would i find the q3config? i'm still new to macs so all i know is there's a finder and devices, places, etc..

#8 User is offline   20eazykills Icon

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:49 PM

View PostFEDTODETH, on 18 November 2009 - 08:34 PM, said:

ahhh ok i see. well it's about to finish downloading again, so i'll let you know after it's done..

so once it's finished i DONT extract the complete urban terror zip folder? i just drag the .zip straight into my applications and then double click it while it's in there?

cause on the site it says to extract it once you're done downloading.

how exactly do you get to the "users" folder in the hard drive? where exactly would i find the q3config? i'm still new to macs so all i know is there's a finder and devices, places, etc..

"Drag the .zip..."
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter but just do it this way to see if it makes a difference.

to get to the users folder

http://img697.images...icture1juz.png/

http://img199.images...picture2gv.png/

#9 User is offline   FEDTODETH (old) Icon

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:53 PM

ok i finished downloading. when i put the .zip straight into my applications folder, i double clicked it like you said. it opened my extraction program (Zipeg).

so from there, i extracted it, TO my applications folder, went to the folder and there are all sorts of ioUrban files, including the ioUrbanTerror.app, and then there's a q3ut4 folder.

inside the q3ut4 folder is:

autoexec.cfg
demos
description.txt
mapcycle.txt
q3ut.ico
QIIIA Gam...License.doc
readme41.txt
screenshots
server.cfg
Urban Terr...he Web.url
zpak000_assets.pk3
zpak000.pk3

that's ALL that's inside of the q3ut4 folder. i don't think there's such thing as a q3config folder on my hard drive, i searched in the finder and nothing came up.

but i downloaded everything it told me i needed to download, and that's all that's inside of the q3ut4 folder.

still, when i click the ioUrbanTerror.app it doesn't run. does the same animation with no launch thing.

EDIT :

i did all of these steps:

Step 1: Open your harddrive
Step 2: Open the folder that says "Users"
Step 3: Choose the user that you are trying to install Urban Terror on.
Step 4: Open the Folder called "Library"
Step 5: Open the folder called "Application Support"
Step 6: Open the folder called "Quake 3"
Step 7: Open the folder called "q3ut4"

after i get to application support, there is no quake 3 folder. there's quake live, but that's just the plugin i installed in order to play quake live.

This post has been edited by FEDTODETH: 18 November 2009 - 08:59 PM

#10 User is offline   X-RaY Icon

• Account: xray

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:14 PM

Lol, ok... let me try ^^
First press: Command ,
, is Comma
You'll get a window with 4 tabs: General, Labels, Sidebar and Advanced
Go to 'General' and click on the 'tab' below: 'New Finder windows open'
Then chose your name, if i'm correct it has a little house as pictogram.

(if you want you can go to the tab 'sidebars' and check your name in the list checkbox (also has a little house as pictogram))

now: press 'finder' in the dock (left picture, you know xD)
At this moment, you'll have your home-folder open.
go to 'applications' and drop your zip file of urban terror in there.
it doesn't matter if it's zipped or unzipped. Off course you have to drop the 'UrbanTerror' folder in there if you unzipped it

(keep the zipped file in case it goes wrong, so you don't have to download it all over again)

If you moved the zipped file in the application folder, you unzip it, and the 'UrbanTerror' folder will pop up in the application folder.

you can remove the unzipped file now (but better move it to your desktop, in case anything goes wrong (just like i said before)

At this moment: UrbanTerror is installed. Do NOT open the ioUrbanTerror.app yet
Unlike windows, you do not have to run a wizard or whatever (i know just as much of pc's, as you know about macs (i bet even less))

Now: you said you deleted ALL Files of urban terror before?
let's check just 1 thing: go to your home folder (click the finder in the dock)
open 'library'
open 'application support'
press 'q'
see if there's a 'quake3' folder
if so: move it to your desktop (you could delete it, but keep it as a backup till everything is running properly)

Go back to your UrbanTerror folder which you moved to the application folder
Open the ioUrbanTerror.app
(you do not have to do anything with the '.exe' since it will not do anything anyway)

Now: at this moment.... ioUrbanTerror will open (I Hope!!!)

If not.... go to the application support folder again (see 10 sentences up) and check if there's a quake3 folder.
if not: well.... i don't really know what next

If there is: could you give the content of the 'q3config.cfg' located in 'q3ut4'

I really hope it works properly actually!

gl!

Edit: ow... i see it doesn't work....

Try removing the plugin (don't delete, just for backup :-P)

This post has been edited by X-RaY: 18 November 2009 - 09:16 PM

My Awesome Jumping Vids: @ My Youtube Channel!

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942