• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RIP [RELEASE] Rate Topic: ***** 3 Votes

Release version finally!

#11 User is offline   spazzattack Icon

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:05 PM

View PostNulL, on 01 February 2010 - 01:45 AM, said:

Well its certainly dark, it looks nothing like those screenshots unless I set the gamma to about 2.

Do you mean it looks darker on your computer than the screenshots?
I have set my urt brightness (which I assume is the same as gamma?) deliberately darker as I had feedback the level was too dark (and adjusted light accordingly). It looks slightly brighter than screenshots on both my laptop and pc. I did want reasonably dark, but maybe aimed too much at people who always wear tacs.

#12 User is offline   spazzattack Icon

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:11 PM

View PostDurandal DSG, on 01 February 2010 - 01:46 AM, said:

Well... the open spaces are a little too... open. Some more things to hide behind or under would be nice since there seems to be an emphasis on sniper posts. Often churches had covered walkways, that might be an idea. Trellised garden areas might be cool too... where you could sorta kinda see through the trellising and fire through it. Or even just areas of more densely packed trees to hide behind and under.

Also, some areas seem a little TOO dark still. More street lights outisde and candles inside would make it seem dark without losing all the detail in the level.

Having the bottom of the bridges teleport you seems like an odd choice.

An underwater passage would be really cool... you could do a couple of them that have offset entrances into the canal that would lead to areas perpendicular to the canal itself.

For TDM and FFA I'd like to see a catacombs area underneath... it might even be a way to connect the underwater canal entrance that I suggested earlier.

Overall... very cool map. Most mappers try things like this and I'm always left irritated they didn't include little details... but things like the working radio... the bells that sound when you climb the ropes... even the ticking clock on the tower... very nice details that really step up the map's feel. Good stuff!

Cheers Durandal, very useful feedback, nice ideas. I think I'm going to have to give in to the more light requests!
I'm nervous of adding too many trees as someone complained of FPS hit, but personally i would add some, even with my naff integrated graphics. I woudl be interested if anyone has poor fps...

#13 User is offline   Fl00d Icon

• Account: fl00d
  • Main tag: |gV|

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:24 PM

yo spazz i like the map itself, but i would change some details, and since i am a noob mapper, i know how much does a feedbach mean, so here are my suggestions:

1. i don like the fact that the grass is the same everywhere, add some diversity
2. add some more objects outside to prevent sniper nests, maybe some well placed objects,

Ill post more if I figure out any. cheerz

#14 User is offline   spazzattack Icon

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:57 PM

View Postfl00d, on 01 February 2010 - 08:24 PM, said:

yo spazz i like the map itself, but i would change some details, and since i am a noob mapper, i know how much does a feedbach mean, so here are my suggestions:

1. i don like the fact that the grass is the same everywhere, add some diversity
2. add some more objects outside to prevent sniper nests, maybe some well placed objects,

Ill post more if I figure out any. cheerz

Cheers, I like the different grass suggestion! (esp. as is not much effort!)

#15 User is offline   Durandal Icon

• Account: durandal
  • Main tag: [DSG]

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:05 PM

I put the beta on NorCal 3rd party maps yesterday and the response was overall very favorable. We have a pretty consistent 20 players on... in all the times it came up I had one person complain of fps drops (I haven't had any issues with it personally)... and one person say "oh no... another sniper map"... which they say to every map lol...

So I'd say it played well. People thought the ghosts in the cemetery were awesome but couldn't figure out if they had a purpose or not (myself included).

One thing... the teleporter at the center of the hedge maze wouldn't do anything for us in TDM... ???

One suggestion everyone made was they wanted more destructable surfaces... like.. being able to blow a hole in a wall to make an alternate route type of thing...

I'd love to see the duck pond become a tunnel personally... people spent a lot of time messing around with that.

Also... blue spawns outside right where red can snipe them from the barn roof... might make some sort of cover, or move it around the corner more or something.
"On a long enough time line, everyone's survival rate drops to zero..." --Tyler Durden

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   spazzattack Icon

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:06 PM

View PostDurandal DSG, on 01 February 2010 - 11:05 PM, said:

I put the beta on NorCal 3rd party maps yesterday and the response was overall very favorable. We have a pretty consistent 20 players on... in all the times it came up I had one person complain of fps drops (I haven't had any issues with it personally)... and one person say "oh no... another sniper map"... which they say to every map lol...

So I'd say it played well. People thought the ghosts in the cemetery were awesome but couldn't figure out if they had a purpose or not (myself included).

One thing... the teleporter at the center of the hedge maze wouldn't do anything for us in TDM... ???

One suggestion everyone made was they wanted more destructable surfaces... like.. being able to blow a hole in a wall to make an alternate route type of thing...

I'd love to see the duck pond become a tunnel personally... people spent a lot of time messing around with that.

Also... blue spawns outside right where red can snipe them from the barn roof... might make some sort of cover, or move it around the corner more or something.

Cool, thanks a lot. That's really useful to know. Pleased it went down ok.
Ghosts were supposed to fool Tac users at a glance, but I recently realised it'll only possibly fool cyan goggle users! (which is what I use)

The teleporter was switched off for TDM by mistake, but I thought I re-enabled, the next version will correct that, and move those spawn points you mentioned.
I like the idea of destructible parts and the tunnel. I think some more cover on those empty banks too. All good suggestions!

Cheers for feedback, I'll put a new version up quite soon.
Spazzattack.

#17 User is offline   Wily Duck Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: wilyduck

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:32 AM

From the screenies, your map looks good. A death theme, interesting!

However, it's all flat and that bugs me. Would it be possible to turn that ground into terrain? I think that would make your map look sharp, and help add potential cover spots in the open areas.

For reference:
Posted Image

Other images:
http://images.google...2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

#18 User is offline   Durandal Icon

• Account: durandal
  • Main tag: [DSG]

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:25 AM

F1 to terrain elevation.
"On a long enough time line, everyone's survival rate drops to zero..." --Tyler Durden

#19 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:30 PM

ye, reading a wily duck's post i have to repeat i believe it's a very strong start but it may be helped a lot by various refinements.

#20 User is offline   spazzattack Icon

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:46 PM

Cheers, um, I'm pretty new to this (2nd map), do you mean patch meshes?
I've found them a bit annoying, the minute I include anything complicated I get annoying errors about max_patch_planes or something.
But maybe sloping up to the church as shown in your pic. would be feasible.

View Posta wily duck, on 03 February 2010 - 06:32 AM, said:

From the screenies, your map looks good. A death theme, interesting!

However, it's all flat and that bugs me. Would it be possible to turn that ground into terrain? I think that would make your map look sharp, and help add potential cover spots in the open areas.

For reference:
Posted Image

Other images:
http://images.google...2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942