Urban Terror Forums: FPS drops issue - I tried everything... - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

FPS drops issue - I tried everything... Rate Topic: -----

Especially when online

#51 User is offline   Tizz Icon

• Account: tizz
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:41 PM

A10 you're totally wrong.

Do like me : play with 125 FPS for 2 years, and then cut to 90 FPS : you'll see a huge difference. These days, im playing Bad Company 2 with around 40 FPS : it seems very very slow, comparing to cod4 where I have more than 300 FPS. There is a difference, a huge one.

In movies, the image seems fluid, even with 22 or 25 frame per second, but its because of the blurred effect, not because 22 FPS are enough.

And movies ain't games. In a game, there is action, there are very very fast moves, you need something accurate, and the more FPS you have, the better it is. And the fact that UrT is stuck on 126 FPS (125), its really a pain in the ***, if one day you can go further than this, you'll see that it's way different.

#52 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:44 PM

It's not just the visuals, the whole engine works more efficiently the higher the FPS.

[provided it doesn't hit bugs [like the ones they had to lock it to 125 for]]

This post has been edited by mitsubishi: 10 May 2010 - 10:46 PM

#53 User is offline   A10 Icon

• Account: a10

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:23 AM

Lol, looks like I angered some people.

You're monitor can't display faster than it's refresh rate dictates. It's a "Laws of physics" kind of thing. If you want to believe that there's a noticeable difference between 125 and 90 you're free to do so.

Ignorance is bliss, right?

#54 User is offline   Tizz Icon

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:56 AM

So, according to you, if games allow us to display it with more than 60 FPS, they're wrong and it's useless ?

So you're saying, if I notice a slowing down of the image when it drops from 125 to 100 or 90, it's pure imagination ? According to you, I should detect the drop even if it's beyond 60 FPS, right?

Fact is if you don't have the v-synch (and the v-synch is bad, for some reasons), the frequency of your monitor and the frequency of frames coming from you graphic card aren't synchronized, that's why drops are visible and why the higher the FPS the better.
You don't need more than 60 FPS only if you use the vertical synch (and you won't have more than 60 or 75 FPS with the v-synch on anyway).

#55 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:24 AM

A10

a) you didn't even read what I said.

b) I know what you said is a fallacy most players think as true, but it's completely wrong. 60FPS on 60Hz monitor is simply not the most optimal ever in all cases.

It's only the most optimal if one wants to avoid tearing.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#56 User is offline   A10 Icon

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

Mitsubishi. You should know Monitors operate using buffers. If the buffer is already full, It ignores the frames being sent from the graphics card until it had displayed the current frame and fills the buffer with a new one. There is no benefit to calculating all those extra frames. They get ignored.

The engine isn't anymore efficient by calculating extra unused frames. Latency times are negligible.

Tizz, Turn the FPS indicator off. You'll never notice another drop.

The FPS counter probably averages values to keep the number somewhat constant and readable.

If you're noticing drops it's likely the engine is getting hung on certain calculations during certain frames and the FPS is actually momentarily lower than the refresh rate. If it's truly only a drop from 120 to 90, you wouldn't be able to notice it because your monitor never displayed those extra frames.

#57 User is offline   Tizz Icon

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

You think I am perfect idiot ? I don't display the FPS counter, except when I test some things. I binded the display of the counter on a button, I made this test a while ago : while viewing a demo, when I feel there is a drop, I push the button and... magic! the number wasn't 125 but 110, 100 or 90. I think I'm even able to detect a drop of less than 10 frames.

So when you say "Tizz, Turn the FPS indicator off. You'll never notice another drop", you're totally and definitely wrong.

If you think im lying about that, you better not to post here any more.

#58 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:14 PM

A10, are you unable to read or you pretend to? I specifically said it's not just visual; FPS also governs the global loop the engine does its operations; it also does networking, input and other operations through it. It does all operations through it.

Funny thing is, even if it was visual[-only], it's still something. Even with a certain low Hz one still has a chance to see things faster with a higher FPS if vsync is off (which is a serious latency handicap if it's on).

Problem here is you Parrot on what most players say, not what is going on.

PS. e.g. cl_maxpackets handicap on 60FPS.

This post has been edited by mitsubishi: 11 May 2010 - 09:28 PM

#59 User is offline   A10 Icon

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:26 AM

Tizz: Yes I think you're a nut.

Mitsubishi. Your right, the engine does all the calculations (not just visual) if you have higher FPS. I've never said anything to the contrary. What's the point of calculating mouse movements and gathering network data in between displayed frames if you only see the results of that at your monitors refresh rate?

#60 User is offline   Tizz Icon

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:33 AM

View PostA10, on 12 May 2010 - 01:26 AM, said:

Tizz: Yes I think you're a nut.

Mitsubishi. Your right, the engine does all the calculations (not just visual) if you have higher FPS. I've never said anything to the contrary. What's the point of calculating mouse movements and gathering network data in between displayed frames if you only see the results of that at your monitors refresh rate?

And I think you're a noob.

You clearly don't know the game, and your knownledge in computer science seem to be way too limited. So there is no point of continuing this conversation, not to take the fact that you're disrespectful to me into account.

This post has been edited by Tizz: 12 May 2010 - 01:35 AM

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942