• You cannot reply to this topic

ut4_Kandahar *wip* Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

#11 User is offline   ObScUrE Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: obscure

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:19 PM

1. nice presentation of your map *wip*

2. the map is really flat and there are no places for covering that is better solved in ut4_riyadh as example

3. there are only 3 ways that going linear from each spawn to the next so it's easy for campers.

BenQ-XL2420T|Filco-Ninja-TKL-MXRed|Logitech-G403|AKG-K70201000010 01101100 01110101 01110100 01010010 01100001 01110101 00100100 01100011 01101000~The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.~

#12 User is offline   BludShoT Icon

• Account: bludshot
  • Main tag: [T]

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:50 AM

It's cool and all,
but what I think is that your map design is not taking into consideration the limitations of the q3 engine and that it has no consideration for optimization. It's as if this map is designed for the BF2 engine.

It's what we affectionately call a "box map", where you just make a big box and stick buildings and things into it. Why that's a problem is because the entire map and all the players and weapons are going to be rendering all the time no matter where you are in the map, which means FPS slowdowns.

So I recommend you split the map up like this:

Posted Image

In the 3D view the green line indicates edges of the sky. So the sky won't be on some huge box way up high, it will be pressed right down onto the map like a lid, against the higher fence so that the map is divided into 3 distinct areas. The red stuff is just a taller fence.

In the 2D view the green lines show basically the way that the map is split into 3 main areas, and the red bits are the openings that connect the areas. The blue triangles are just meant to show how the openings and the buildings inside the base are positioned to entirely block a straight view from 1 area to the next. By doing this you split the map into 3 separate areas, so that, in general, the game will only have to render 1/3rd of the map at most.

Replace the sniper towers with low down bunker checkpoints, because you can't have any spot that is tall enough to let the player see over the base fence.

Or if this idea doesn't work for you, then I would suggest decompiling ut4_riyahd and seeing how they split that map up (I have no idea how they did I have never looked at it).

#14 User is offline   Solitary Icon

•   former FS member   
    Programmer
  • Account: solitary
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:21 AM

looks like it has the potential to be an awesome CTF map.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   stabberthomas Icon

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

Taking the advise of YAS,

Looks nice, but i haven't seen many maps in the community that are flat and mirrored that have become really popular in the community.

I changed the map a lot.
Posted Image
The blue base is now in warehouse.
The red base is outside the camp.
I'm going to look up parts for The Hurt Locker (you know, that bomb-squad movie)
Then ill start working on the first buildings and stuff.
Ill let you guys know more soon! :D

#18 User is offline   ValkoVer Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: valkover

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:17 PM

Just divide map into small chunks, and use caulk for vis blocking. I want also say that map ut4_snowland from speedmapping competiton have terrain made with model.

#19 User is offline   stabberthomas Icon

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for the tips.
Ok i have a 512x375 brick texture is that fine?

#20 User is offline   Yas Icon

• Account: yas

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:46 PM

View Poststabberthomas, on 14 April 2010 - 04:35 PM, said:

Thanks for the tips.
Ok i have a 512x375 brick texture is that fine?

make textures power of 2
http://gotdelirium.c...articles_9.html

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942