Urban Terror Forums: Textures missing, can you tell me what maps usually cause this? - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Textures missing, can you tell me what maps usually cause this? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   morfeas Icon

• Account: morfeas

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:18 PM

i've read that some maps cause textures to go missing

after installing any possible map i found online i got some textures missing on maps that others can see perfectly.

can you tell me what maps usually cause the textures to go missing? (or , if there is another way to cure it, even better)

#2 User is offline   rfx Icon

• Account: rfx

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

I don't know which maps exactly, but usually this happens when one of the shader files in a ut_...pk3 map (not ut4_...) redefines/overwrites a shader with the same name but a different texture from ut3 which is not available in ut4.

Ok, nothing prevents a ut4_... map from producing the same (technically), but usually they're better tested with ut4 and do not exhibit such problems.

When I come across people who find such problems, when they're really onto it they start disabling one map after another until it works to find the problematic ones ... I'm not aware of any automatic method; but actually it should be possible to extract all shader definitions from all maps and see if one overwrites another. Hmm....

Hope that helps.

This post has been edited by rfx: 28 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

#3 User is offline   X-RaY Icon

• Account: xray

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:13 PM

It kinda works the other way too...
there are maps, that rely on the textures of other maps
so if map have map a, which relies on textures of map b, but you don't have map b. You still got missing textures
in a worst case scenario, there are multiple maps that make 1 texture of a map
meaning, you don't only need to try them 1 by 1, but also in combo's
which is practically an impossible job...
My Awesome Jumping Vids: @ My Youtube Channel!

#4 User is offline   ObScUrE Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: obscure

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:18 AM

Here I have named some problematic maps.
http://forums.urbant..._1

BenQ-XL2420T|Filco-Ninja-TKL-MXRed|Logitech-G403|AKG-K70201000010 01101100 01110101 01110100 01010010 01100001 01110101 00100100 01100011 01101000~The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.~

#5 User is offline   OlympicSmoker Icon

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:52 AM

Nice one ObScUrE
Also some older ut_....pk3 rely on Quake3 textures
So having pak0.pk3 from origial Quake3 cd in Urbanterror/q3ut4 folder did fix a bunch of textures, for exemple the caves in ut_padmaps.

**Maybe some side effects in some other maps.

This post has been edited by OlympicSmoker: 29 June 2010 - 02:52 AM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   morfeas Icon

• Account: morfeas

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:21 AM

View PostX-RaY, on 28 June 2010 - 11:13 PM, said:

It kinda works the other way too...
there are maps, that rely on the textures of other maps
so if map have map a, which relies on textures of map b, but you don't have map b. You still got missing textures
in a worst case scenario, there are multiple maps that make 1 texture of a map
meaning, you don't only need to try them 1 by 1, but also in combo's
which is practically an impossible job...

i know what you mean, i had this problem as well with an old (but rather nice) map (called lillypad)

View PostObScUrE, on 29 June 2010 - 12:18 AM, said:

Here I have named some problematic maps.
http://forums.urbant..._1

Thank you :D
i will look at it asap
------------------------

(wouldn't it be better to actually include the textures in every map? it would make them 1-2 mbs bigger but they would never have any problem ..)

#7 User is offline   rfx Icon

• Account: rfx

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

View Postmorfeas, on 29 June 2010 - 08:21 AM, said:

wouldn't it be better to actually include the textures in every map? it would make them 1-2 mbs bigger but they would never have any problem ..)

I think it would be absolutely better. Having one map relying on the users having some other map too doesn't make much sense. The only thing you can really rely on are the resources distributed with Urt. If you want to use another maps resources, ask for permission to copy or create your own.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942