• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Skills filter Rate Topic: -----

Anyone know how to make one ?

#1 User is offline   KEYHOLE Icon

• Account: keyhole

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:26 PM

is someone know how to make a skills filter for my server ?..... something like it had on ZOD - Best of the best server.
a skill filter to kick noob like..... ?

#2 User is offline   2.f4 Icon

• Account: 2f4

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

g_inactivity 15

This post has been edited by 2.f4: 01 July 2010 - 09:08 AM

made by: google translator and common sense

#4 User is offline   Wolfseye Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: wolfseye
  • Main tag: FCDE-

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:34 PM

View PostKEYHOLE, on 30 June 2010 - 11:26 PM, said:

is someone know how to make a skills filter for my server ?..... something like it had on ZOD - Best of the best server.
a skill filter to kick noob like..... ?

WTF ?

You guys want to ruin the game now entirely ? :wacko:

Funny thing what people often forget is that they all started n00b themselves. Wonder what you guys had said if you have been kicked out of a Server for not fitting the wanted skill of the server owner.

Its bad enough that there are games having options for that, and I think we should leave it at that. Because either you want URT to be successful, which means getting more and new players, or not. And kicking out people that are maybe below your player skill from a Server is kinda counter productive.

That being sad, if it would be only to get rid of people starting trouble on a Server, which you can't say before something happens, would at least be one aspect worth thinking about. But even then more than a simple kick & maybe IP Ban (which is uneffective in most times), as it is possible now or with whatever possibility Passport comes up with when 4.2 is released, other than that kicking people because you think they are n00b is kinda even more n00b and LoL of yourself as they are.

No offence.

This post has been edited by Wolfseye: 01 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

#5 User is offline   MerkyMerc Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: merkymerc

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

Keyhole you should talk to iBakedUsomeCookies about that. He programmed that filter using Python. :happy:
Enjoy operating your server however you wish, ignore those who tell you how you should run it. :rolleyes:

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   KEYHOLE Icon

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:42 PM

View PostMerkymerc, on 01 July 2010 - 05:58 PM, said:

Keyhole you should talk to iBakedUsomeCookies about that. He programmed that filter using Python. :happy:
Enjoy operating your server however you wish, ignore those who tell you how you should run it. :rolleyes:

thx dude
yeah i know but he seems to be inactive or missing....
cant remember is email

View PostWolfseye, on 01 July 2010 - 05:34 PM, said:

WTF ?

You guys want to ruin the game now entirely ? :wacko:

Funny thing what people often forget is that they all started n00b themselves. Wonder what you guys had said if you have been kicked out of a Server for not fitting the wanted skill of the server owner.

Its bad enough that there are games having options for that, and I think we should leave it at that. Because either you want URT to be successful, which means getting more and new players, or not. And kicking out people that are maybe below your player skill from a Server is kinda counter productive.

That being sad, if it would be only to get rid of people starting trouble on a Server, which you can't say before something happens, would at least be one aspect worth thinking about. But even then more than a simple kick & maybe IP Ban (which is uneffective in most times), as it is possible now or with whatever possibility Passport comes up with when 4.2 is released, other than that kicking people because you think they are n00b is kinda even more n00b and LoL of yourself as they are.

No offence.

i just want a competitive server with skilled players.
am i asking for too much ??

This post has been edited by KEYHOLE: 01 July 2010 - 09:45 PM

#7 User is offline   RYRY46d9 Icon

• Account: ryry46d9
  • Main tag: Pb|

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:07 AM

View PostKEYHOLE, on 01 July 2010 - 09:42 PM, said:

i just want a competitive server with skilled players.

F1

would like to see this on a TDM sever as well,

#8 User is offline   KEYHOLE Icon

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:02 PM

View PostRYRY46d9, on 28 July 2010 - 04:07 AM, said:

F1

would like to see this on a TDM sever as well,

so true TDM server are often populate with new players

This post has been edited by KEYHOLE: 28 July 2010 - 06:03 PM

#9 User is offline   Critofur Icon

• Account: critofur

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

View PostKEYHOLE, on 28 July 2010 - 06:02 PM, said:

so true TDM server are often populate with new players

FFA = the most noobs, TDM next... TS are full of those who think they are eleet, but would probably not do so well on a serious CTF server. CTF = the most depth of skill combined with fast paced (depending on map) action non-stop.

How about this: just make it private but have email address for password request clearly displayed to all who try to connect?

Anyway, don't you think noobs aren't as bad as stacked teams? I'm happy to have a noob on my team if YOUR TEAM DOES ALSO.

What I see too often is though, 5 - 6 players on one side that know each other, all noobs on the other side, I connect and try to help the noobs, but they end up leaving after getting their ass kicked over and over, so the team I'm on not only has all the noobs, but is down 2 - 3 players and the other side KEEPS capping (blatant cheat = uneven team cap) just laughing about being total assholes. Seemed to be more often than not that happened actually, over the last 1 - 2 years.

It's so rare that I can find a server with just a few good players that seem to be willing to play with balanced teams. I don't have time to setup and maintain a server myself, but would be happy to make a donation to somebody who'd setup a CTF server with max players = 12, NO BOTS!!!, and setup to auto-kick any non-spec who is idle more than 20 seconds (or at least force them to spec, ideally).

Someone told me there's a security flaw if voting is enabled? It's so frustrating when voting is off and no admin is online, I've got a "hate club" of players who hate me so much that they'll connect and be AFK on purpose, or sometimes even worse, they'll block spawn exit doors, or just play bad on purpose. If I change my GUID and my name, I don't get those issues...

#10 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:05 PM

It's interesting to read how Wolfseye misunderstood the point of this and consequently got this whole thing backwards.

Being a newbie does not equal as being a noob. That being said, getting kicked for 'not fitting the wanted skill' works both ways:
- getting kicked for poor kill/death ratio, not doing objective
- getting kicked for "impossible" kill/death ratio and being too good at the objective (zomg hax!)

Because either you want URT to be successful, which means getting more and new players, or not.

For UrT to be successful, you need more than just getting new players: you need to keep them.

And kicking out people that are maybe below your player skill from a Server is kinda counter productive.

That's the result by the lack of 'skill filter' (server browser?) which (new or old) players can find themselves a suitable (skill/experience wise) server where all can enjoy themselves, without finding themselves in a one-sided game and without either getting kicked or raged by teammates about them being really bad, or getting constantly vote kicked for 'cheat accusations'.

However i can understand your negative stance about "skill filter", maybe the name "skill recommendation" is more 'political correct'; such as what QL has. Not a system that denies a player entry to a server that is 'above their skill level'. So that players are still free to try their luck just to find themselves either out-matched or unchallenged.

But since we don't have such a system in place. Some server admins find themselves left with no other choice than to write a bot that calculates someones 'efficiency' and kicks players that has reached the matching criteria.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942