Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Metagaming and the game Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jandc Icon

• Account: jandc

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

I wrote this for my Entertainment Philosophy class at usf. What do you guys think, I got a a-.

The one aspect of gamming in general that I always found interesting is how much more the gamer expects from the experience of playing a game of design verses the need to customize that experience to their own tastes.

In other words they would be perfectly happy to have a weapon of mass destruction that fires nuclear tipped rockets that is bio encoded so only they are the ones that are allowed to use.

In other words, once again, owning the battle field with out the “benefits” or the possibility that perhaps there is a chance of the reality or necessity that they will actually lose.

Ok that paragraph was messy and somewhat silly but the fact of the matter is how can a game possibly be enjoyable if you are always winning because there is no way that you can lose? (< see question mark see it see it.)

This brings us to the new buzzword in gamming.

Metagaming.

Granted what follows is not the true meaning of the word by definition but it is and has been adopted in a lot of games as part of their over all game design.

An example of Metagaming by design lets say would be a “Capture the Flag” type game where the purpose of the game is to work as a team to, well, capture your opponents flag.

For some reason, probably in an attempt to please player base, other side objectives have or are being introduced to award players with special achievements based on accomplishing secondary objectives.

Personally I’m all for the “If you get three headshots in a row you get a brownie badge” but more and more its becoming a case where the members on your own team are off some place trying to accomplish their own goals, the game with in the game, to try to accumulate the last four points to gain their next achievement award fix.

Now don’t get me wrong I love the idea of the Metagame even if it’s used or done as defined by the word but if I was to contribute anything to the game with in the game it would be that if time limit was reached in a stalemate a granny voice would declare “YOUR BOTH LOSERS” and each member of both teams would get 10 Granny points each.

Don’t even get me started on the ideals of game balance.

#2 User is offline   thewonderboy Icon

• Account: thewonderboy

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

phew i like good chalenge which i can win but if im completely dominating its very boring :tongue:
Best game would be to play againts your clones i think. Ftw perfect team. Everyone knows what each other wants. All playing as a family :wacko: im such a teamplayer.

Also i can enjoy if i lose but only if i know i deresve to lose. Enemy played better in a team. No dirty tactics and over all nice and clean job. Even if i got my ass kickd.

Well that your article is maybe little short which leaves me want more of it.

See the lovely Mrs. Search Function?
She wants to make out with you.
~OOM91

Jelly? Yes very jelly... in fact, I am * jam. No amount of sandwich spread can express my emotions.
~IIL_NODERUS

#3 User is offline   jandc Icon

• Account: jandc

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:59 AM

Thanks for you're feedback bro

#5 User is offline   ObScUrE Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: obscure

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:26 AM

View Postjandc, on 11 January 2011 - 08:47 AM, said:

I wrote this for my Entertainment Philosophy class at usf. What do you guys think, I got a a-.

Well done but I really think Frankie should get an A+ for it. :-)

BenQ-XL2420T|Filco-Ninja-TKL-MXRed|Logitech-G403|AKG-K70201000010 01101100 01110101 01110100 01010010 01100001 01110101 00100100 01100011 01101000~The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.~

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Seven of Nine Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: sevenofnine
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

LOL FAIL

ps. I think Frankie should also get a C for spelling :tongue:

#7 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:46 AM

SuperUltraMegaAtomicKickYouInTheNutsFacePalm

#8 User is offline   H0i Icon

•   former FS member   
    Modeler
  • Account: h0i

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:37 PM

Hahahahahahahaha

#9 User is offline   FuN Icon

• Account: fun

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:19 PM

Posted Image

I can't help my self from laughing!
"An apple a day keeps The Doctor away. That's why bananas are so good."
FuN aka Marsupilami

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942