• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tips? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   RobDistorted Icon

•   former FS member   
    Animator
  • Account: robdistorted

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

Wow! a lot of great tips here, i am going to be busy trying all of these out within the next few days.

My very worst thing was that i would wear a kevlar despite always running/sprinting, which never seemed to do me any good.

I keep playing against my younger bro because he has really quick aim, so it is forcing me to compensate with movement and to try and use the map and its routes to my advantage.

I also have issues with some of the crosshairs simply because my eyes find it harder to find the crosshairs at times, but i do have to look away from it in order to look at the rest of the screen. This is because i dont have much peripheral vision, so my eyes are having to look on the screen or at the crosshair, maybe i need to change its colour to improve my ability to find it lol.

I keep trying to use bursts of fire when shooting, will have to take a little more time to get the shots in, in an accurate manner.

And thanks for the link to dailynade, i have checked there already, watched tarquins videos and his talk on his gameplay, all i can say is wow!

Needless to say, i need to practice practice practice! :biggrin:

Thanks for the great tips, always helpful to have a community that actually cares about the standard of which the whole community plays.

Thanks.

#12 User is offline   Speckknoedelsup Icon

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

View Postrobdistorted, on 04 February 2011 - 05:57 PM, said:

I also have issues with some of the crosshairs simply because my eyes find it harder to find the crosshairs at times, but i do have to look away from it in order to look at the rest of the screen. This is because i dont have much peripheral vision, so my eyes are having to look on the screen or at the crosshair, maybe i need to change its colour to improve my ability to find it lol.

i still sometimes struggle with this too,
like hois i recommend a green crosshair,
but maybe instead of the dot you may try old quake3 crosshiar the circle with a dot inside. The circle makes it easier to "find" your crosshair quickly on the screen and the dot inside still alows you accurate aiming.

spread control: to test the weapon spread behavior a good way is to type
/devmap ut4_firingrange
into console then when the map has loaded
/give all
then you can try out all the weapons spread behaviors on a a target also set the <bullet impact settings> to leave marks <10s>.

besides that do what hoi said :)

#13 User is offline   RobDistorted Icon

•   former FS member   
    Animator

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:44 AM

Yep, i am experimenting with different crosshairs at the moment. Thanks for the suggestions.

I am learning more and more to stay calm and to use bursts of two to three shots while trying to shoot people, and have ditched the kevlar entirely, although the helmet comes in handy. :biggrin:

#14 User is offline   pollofeliz Icon

• Account: pollofeliz

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:41 AM

Regarding FFA, I find the following things useful on FFA. 1. Most players on FFA servers make a whole lot of noise and don't care about stealth. So listen carefully, make little noise, and go where the action is. If you're stealthy enough, you may shoot them in the back. 2. Learn the common spawn locations. If you're in that area, try not to face them with your back. But yeah, everyone is correct. FFA may be fun, but it is not a good training place. On an average day, the level of game play is highest on TS servers, followed by CTF, followed by TDM, and then FFA. I have never tried other game modes. Once you can accomplish half decent game play level for a CTF server, owning on FFA will be easy, usually but not always (they still get very good players now and then).

In general learn to listen carefully. I used to think that listening and being stealthy is nice, but still kind of optional. Well, maybe that's ok on CTF, but making noises and not listening carefully will get you mowed down very quickly during TS matches, and then you will be watching the rest of your teammates play helplessly.

In general, sound is very important. Get Mitsubishi's optimized build with dmaHD support for surround effects. Try to use better than average, detail oriented headphones. I'd recommend something like Koss PortaPros or Koss UR 40 for 30-40 dollars. You can get slightly better quality surround effect with something like Sennheiser HD555, but for more than twice the price of Koss headphones.

This post has been edited by pollofeliz: 05 February 2011 - 03:46 AM

3AKOH
(usually)

#15 User is offline   RobDistorted Icon

•   former FS member   
    Animator

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:11 AM

View Postpollofeliz, on 05 February 2011 - 03:41 AM, said:

Regarding FFA, I find the following things useful on FFA. 1. Most players on FFA servers make a whole lot of noise and don't care about stealth. So listen carefully, make little noise, and go where the action is. If you're stealthy enough, you may shoot them in the back. 2. Learn the common spawn locations. If you're in that area, try not to face them with your back. But yeah, everyone is correct. FFA may be fun, but it is not a good training place. On an average day, the level of game play is highest on TS servers, followed by CTF, followed by TDM, and then FFA. I have never tried other game modes. Once you can accomplish half decent game play level for a CTF server, owning on FFA will be easy, usually but not always (they still get very good players now and then).

In general learn to listen carefully. I used to think that listening and being stealthy is nice, but still kind of optional. Well, maybe that's ok on CTF, but making noises and not listening carefully will get you mowed down very quickly during TS matches, and then you will be watching the rest of your teammates play helplessly.

In general, sound is very important. Get Mitsubishi's optimized build with dmaHD support for surround effects. Try to use better than average, detail oriented headphones. I'd recommend something like Koss PortaPros or Koss UR 40 for 30-40 dollars. You can get slightly better quality surround effect with something like Sennheiser HD555, but for more than twice the price of Koss headphones.

Thanks for the input, my headphones are pretty good, and give fairly good directional sound, i am thankful for them to be honest.

Tomorrow i will give Mitsubishi's optimized build a try and see how i do.

Thanks for the advice about FFA. I played on FFA tonight but that was with my bro and son, so hearing only two of them was easier, we are trying different things, such as using only one weapon and having two vs one games to improve.

As with everything though, these things take time.

I am having to change just about everything about the way that i play, but to be honest, its all for the better!

So thanks to everyone.[still looking forward to any other tips too] :biggrin:

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   pollofeliz Icon

• Account: pollofeliz

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:44 PM

As already mentioned, don't make too many noises. When you run or sprint, your steps are heard. Don't waste stamina. If you run out of stamina, your breaths are heard a mile away. Leaving the kevlar vest may help it, but it's a toss up because you become vulnerable to good shooters. I never do it when there are good AK shooters on the opposing team. On the other hand, the vest is kind of useless against SR8 anyways. It's probably better to just have a key bind for dropping the vest when you need to move fast. If you need speed, circle jump and power slide because that's less noisy than running or sprinting, as long as you don't run out of breath. I am finding it useful to run a script so that when I press and release the walk or crouch buttons, I keep on walking or crouching, and when I press jump or sprint, I return to normal. Actually, this is not all that important on typical CTF servers it seems, but it's crucial for TS. In CTF, you just need to grab the flag and get the hell out of there as fast as you can however you can do it before they can get you, because good CTF players often have a good idea of where the enemy flag carrier is. Generally you want to drop the vest when you take the flag. Also you want to drop your vest if you would like to pursue flag carrier. So, speed is more important in CTF. In TS, being silent _and_ fast is important.

This post has been edited by pollofeliz: 05 February 2011 - 01:51 PM

3AKOH
(usually)

#17 User is offline   Foxxy Icon

• Account: foxxy

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:11 PM

Regarding crosshairs, if I'm playing a match I usually warm up with a cross until I get a feel for where my crosshair is, and then I switch back to the dot. Also creating a colour cycle script for switching between crosshair colours can be very useful, especially on a map like Casa or Riyadh, since it's very bright, a darker coloured crosshair is usually better.

#18 User is offline   Ikslorin Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: ikslorin

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:46 PM

A little tip from my side, which isn't meant especially for you, but many players in general (it's quite hard to tell if you need it from a FFA game :smile: ):
"Don't think you are Bruce Willis!" ... If you are able to escape from a big firefight ... don't run directly back into their guns.
Try to flank them, by running back using another route, and attack them from behind (mostly they have moved to another location though). Or keep sitting at a corner, from where you are secure, and you are able kill them easily, when they are chasing you. Camping is "hated" on pub servers, but it's called survival. :wink:

YouTube: youtube.com/ikslorin -|- Tweet, tweet: @ikslorin
Email: ikslorin[at]gmail[dot]com -|- Twitch: twitch.tv/ikslorin

#19 User is offline   RobDistorted Icon

•   former FS member   
    Animator

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:51 PM

Thanks Foxxy for the info on binding a key to change crosshair colour, that'll come in handy. Would be cool if such an option would be in the crosshair menu.

Kowolski, these are good suggestions, too often i run from a firefight, then turn around and run at them when they are expecting me. i should note in future to do one of two things:
1. Stop and find some cover and await them chasing me, meaning i will be more ready and have more time to take a shot as well as being in cover making it harder for them to hit me.
2. Try to keep moving and flank them, sometimes they dont expect it, sometimes they do.

pollofeliz, you, like many others have good tips, breath attracts the enemy. maintaining as much silence as possible is key. I realised today why it took me so long to nail the harder jumps on happyjumptutorial - due to my mouse sensitivity being too high for me to handle i was unable to keep my mouse movements smooth which is a must for being able to circle jump correctly.

Now with lower mouse sensitivity i am able to aim slightly better and i am able to circle jump much more efficiently. ditching the kevlar has helped me a great deal. personally i dont use it now due to the fact that i get shot in the legs allot so after getting hit there i am pretty much done for. But as with everything there is a correct time and place to use the kevlar.

It would seem that my playstyle is having to adapt to being able to play as stealth as well as defensive and offensive, the different game types are requiring a different skill set to deal with that given game type/mode. So i guess this thread is now a "give me tips for all different game types/modes" :biggrin:

I gave Mitsubishi's optimized build a try today, i was impressed, it helped me a great deal to hear behind me better, i had a few crashes which is understandable given that i was using it on 4.1.1 - i did try out the new sounds too, really liked the smg and rifle sounds, and the difference in those sounds depending on whether you were indoors or outdoor, it just adds up to being a more well rounded experience.

Thanks for the tips people, if anyone has any more i am really happy to listen and to learn, i appreciate the help given here so thank you! :smile:

#20 User is offline   Yuri Icon

• Account: yuri

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:47 PM

Here are some tips from my side.

1. Setup a server and play some maps like they where some jumpmaps.
2. Make breaks. Let your eyes and brain rest some minutes.
Eat an apple for energy or look outside the window.
3. Play against people who are slightly better than you. This helps a lot.
4. Play stealth games like thief/deus ex to get a feeling for stealth (helped me a lot)
5. Enthusiasm! Yes, it works!
6. Change your keylayout (Theres already a thread for this called WASD but happens)
7. Analyze the maps you play a lot on.

BTW i prefer magenta as crosshair colour. It's easy visible. (haven't seen a map that has magenta on it).
My Music Channel --> youtube.com/hordetek

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942