• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ut4_oilrig [alpha2] Rate Topic: -----

very early version, still WIP

#21 User is offline   LynXIII Icon

• Account: lynxiii
  • Main tag: C.M.M.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

I finished alpha2. See first post for download and updated screens (It's still only placeholder textures and bad brushwork).

Main addition is the access to the roof, I hope the layout isnt too complex now.

I'm still changing the layout a lot and I'm open for any suggestions. I didn't have the chance to test it in tdm or ts yet and I might need to change the spawns.

If any server admin uses this map on his server, send me a PM plz! :smile: (I wouldn't recommend my map yet, though, it's still too much WIP!)

#22 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

man!!! i really starting to love this layout!!! wow if u jus clean it up replace with better textures this map is srsly gonna be so fkn good!!!!! wow im loving it right now.. gah it turned better then i can ever imagine!!!
gah i just wanna have the .map and start spread my love on it xD wow i cant wait till its done!!! dont u dare give up on this map!!!

Edit: the swat should spawn by the helicopter

This post has been edited by JustMe...: 28 February 2011 - 10:59 PM

Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

#23 User is offline   LynXIII Icon

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:26 AM

View PostJustMe..., on 28 February 2011 - 10:43 PM, said:

man!!! i really starting to love this layout!!! wow if u jus clean it up replace with better textures this map is srsly gonna be so fkn good!!!!! wow im loving it right now.. gah it turned better then i can ever imagine!!!
gah i just wanna have the .map and start spread my love on it xD wow i cant wait till its done!!! dont u dare give up on this map!!!

Edit: the swat should spawn by the helicopter

Well thank you! :smile:
I will slowly start to gather textures and stuff while finalizing the layout. The gameplay has to be fun, thats my top priority right now (and I'm a little nervous about that). But I won't stop until it looks good, although this could take a while.

Team blue could have an advantage if they start at the helicopter, but it makes sense to let them start there, I know! I will test it and if it works I will change the spawns.

#24 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: majkifajki

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:51 AM

Hi Lynx!

I see you're keep working! Good. I'm gonna motivate You through rough criticism:)
> Camp points
There is too many of them. In just 10 seconds I found two places for PSG1 noobs - one step backward/sidewalk and camper got a cover:
Posted Image
Posted Image
This thing cannot happen, if You want Your map to be popular or (maybe someday?) included into official UrT map packs!

> no 'furniture'
Yes. Look at official, brilliant maps included in UrT. You won't find maps with long distances without obstacles. You have to think, what kind of objects are common on olirigs http://bit.ly/hvBBij Think about barrels, ropes (to climb!), spilled slippy oil? :) For now, Your map is a project of an FPS game map.

> Choppa doesn't have working motor :)

Waiting for alpha 3!

#25 User is offline   LynXIII Icon

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:09 AM

View Postmajkifajki, on 01 March 2011 - 12:51 AM, said:

> Camp points
There is too many of them. In just 10 seconds I found two places for PSG1 noobs - one step backward/sidewalk and camper got a cover:
[...]
This thing cannot happen, if You want Your map to be popular or (maybe someday?) included into official UrT map packs!

Thats the part I'm nervous about. I know it could become very campy on the top, but I wanted the deck to have a distinct feeling in contrast to the lower levels. It's supposed to be very deadly up there, where you run from cover to cover. I hope I find a good way to prevent too much camping, so thank you very much for pointing that out! :smile:

View Postmajkifajki, on 01 March 2011 - 12:51 AM, said:

> no 'furniture'

I will add a lot of stuff for cover and atmosphere of the setting, thats for sure! But I'm still at a stage where I might change a whole section of the map or even delete it for the sake of good gameplay. And everything I've created in that section would be a waste of time for me (bear in mind I'm still a beginner, mapping is hard work for me! :rolleyes:).

Your criticism is very welcomed! :biggrin:

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: majkifajki

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:25 AM

It's supposed to be very deadly up there, where you run from cover to cover.

When 3+ campers snipe with PSG/SR8 there is no such thing as "cover" - remember :)

I hope I find a good way to prevent too much camping, so thank you very much for pointing that out

First of all - if You include camp spot, make sure two things:
Always give players anti-camp-spot. ACP is a place, from which camper dies. It can be a backdoor entrance, a window, which gives view ONLY on one, particular ACP.
Consider open-camp spot - a plase without cover and/or in open space. Wanna camp? Go boy, but You can't hide!

This two thigs give even noobs possibility to control campers.

About 'furniture' - that decides, if my get to my server. I just don't like ugly-looking maps:)

#28 User is offline   LynXIII Icon

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:21 PM

View PostJohnnyenglish, on 06 March 2011 - 04:55 PM, said:

[...]If you want to have a look how I made this I can pack it all into a pk3 for you.[...]

Oh please do, looks awesome and it could improve fps. But it's important that a player can still jump into the water and drown :biggrin:
I love the fancy water and how the moon is reflecting on it! Can't wait until UrtHD replaces 4.1 as the standard for playing!

I'm afraid I'm too busy right now to work on oilrig, but I will finish it when I'm back from china, at the latest.

#29 User is offline   chaosz Icon

• Account: chaosz

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:27 AM

Looks very promising! We had a lot of fun with it at work even in alpha stage :)

Chaosz

#30 User is offline   LynXIII Icon

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:12 AM

Great to hear that! Feel free to give feedback about gameplay, layout, spawns, jumps and the like :smile:

I hope to release an alpha 3 before april, but I'm very busy right now. I hope it'll be the last layout-changing version, from then on I want to work primarily on the looks of the map. Can't wait for it :biggrin:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942