• You cannot reply to this topic

about shaders Rate Topic: -----

Some doubts about shaders' usage.

#11 User is offline   DagF Icon

• Account: dagf
  • Main tag: |TNC|

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:20 PM

View Posticeman, on 18 February 2011 - 11:48 AM, said:

Ok, i think i'm starting to understand the isssue.

Anyway i just need a last piece of information in order to solve this puzzle :)
I do not understand why i cannot find some shaders' code. Where is it? The map compiler cannot find it as well, because when i compile those objects just look like a solid blue red and white object :(
Do u know why? Can you find those shaders (for instance caulk or botclip in your scrpts folder?

Thank you.

<br><br>Okay
If you are norwegian or from danmark i could tell you this in your language.<br><br>&nbsp;But what you call shaders is in fact called "textures". the texture is image files shown in in the map.
and what you call shaders code i guess is the shader itselfe.
<br><br>The reason you can not find the images and get the red/blue/white insted is becouse the image is missing.
caulk and botclip is missing becouse they dosent need a texture as the shader(the coddes in the .shader files). <br>They dosent need a texture becouse they are not visable ingame and is there to make bot works and to lower the fps.

This post has been edited by DagF: 18 February 2011 - 12:24 PM

#12 User is offline   IceMan Icon

• Account: iceman
  • Main tag: bw|

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:34 PM

View PostDagF, on 18 February 2011 - 12:20 PM, said:

If you are norwegian or from danmark i could tell you this in your language.

No I am italian :p

View PostDagF, on 18 February 2011 - 12:20 PM, said:

But what you call shaders is in fact called "textures". the texture is image files shown in in the map.
and what you call shaders code i guess is the shader itselfe.

The reason you can not find the images and get the red/blue/white insted is becouse the image is missing.
caulk and botclip is becouse they dosent need a texture as the shader(the coddes in the .shader files). They dosent need a texture becouse they are not visable ingame and is there to make bot works and to lower the fps.

Ok,sometimes maybe i get confused with words but I clearly understand what you said, thanks for clarifying it anyway :)
What I was trying to say is that I cannot find in the .shader files some shaders (i told you caulk and botclip as an example of shaders that i cannot find).

I am sure they are not in there because i guess those shader should create an "invisible object", since in the real map i do not see them as a red/blue/white. so i think that the compiler cannot find them as well.

for instance do you know how to find the shader (i mean the code) common/nodrop?? because casa is actually using it, but i cannot find it!

** ps: when i say "object" i mean the thing i can draw in gtkradiant and on which i can apply a texture or a shader, what is their real name??

#13 User is offline   IceMan Icon

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:41 PM

to make myself clearer this is what I see if i decomple and ricompile casa:
http://imageshack.us...2/66482156.jpg/

[edit] i see and i cannot go through these colored walls that are not supposed to be there!!

This post has been edited by iceman: 18 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

#14 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:42 PM

Definition of a shader would be something like this.
A shader is a short text file that contains instructions for the compiler on how to change brushes behavior.

In mu opinion something went wrong with your radiant installation or you're missing a certain zpak in the q3ut4 folder.

All scripts are in q3ut4/scripts folder, common spog zpak goes to baseq3 folder (at least it is in mine and it all works perfectly).

#15 User is offline   IceMan Icon

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:46 PM

View PostRav3n, on 18 February 2011 - 12:42 PM, said:

Definition of a shader would be something like this.
A shader is a short text file that contains instructions for the compiler on how to change brushes behavior.

In mu opinion something went wrong with your radiant installation or you're missing a certain zpak in the q3ut4 folder.

All scripts are in q3ut4/scripts folder, common spog zpak goes to baseq3 folder (at least it is in mine and it all works perfectly).

ok, i suspected this as well!!
are you really sure you can find common/nodrop shader in your q3ut4/scripts folder??

then could you be a bit more precise with this sentence "common spog zpak goes to baseq3 folder": i will try to do what you did.

[edit] could it be a problem related with the file shaderlist.txt??
where did you put this file and what do you have inside it??

many thanks!!

This post has been edited by iceman: 18 February 2011 - 12:52 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Rayne Icon

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

View Posticeman, on 18 February 2011 - 12:46 PM, said:

ok, i suspected this as well!!
are you really sure you can find common/nodrop shader in your q3ut4/scripts folder??

then could you be a bit more precise with this sentence "common spog zpak goes to baseq3 folder": i will try to do what you did.

[edit] could it be a problem related with the file shaderlist.txt??
where did you put this file and what do you have inside it??

many thanks!!

Common shaders are from the common-spog zpak, they go into baseq3 folder. Baseq3 folder is in the same folder is in the same place as the q3ut4 folder.

#17 User is offline   IceMan Icon

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:29 PM

View PostRav3n, on 18 February 2011 - 01:06 PM, said:

Common shaders are from the common-spog zpak, they go into baseq3 folder. Baseq3 folder is in the same folder is in the same place as the q3ut4 folder.

tried but nothing changes... i extracted all the pk3 files that i have in that folder...
just for curiosity... have you tried to decompile and recompile casa?? if you do it without light it will take few sec... can you try and tell me if it works??
and/or can you tell me if you can find the .shader file that contains the shader that i gave you as an example of what i cannot find??
thank you very much

#18 User is offline   Rayne Icon

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:42 PM

Decompiling a .bsp is a bitch, it will never look like a map you made in radiant.
Missing textures and shaders are a normal thing. I don't have to decompile casa to see how it will look like.

My suggestion, decompile .bsp files only to learn how certain parts of layouts were built. Don't expect perfection when decompiling.

If you're talking about the shader you posted in your first post in this topic, the answer is yes i can see those images in textures/terrain folder.

#19 User is offline   mindriot Icon

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:15 AM

View PostRav3n, on 17 February 2011 - 08:36 PM, said:

Easiest way to see if a texture has a shader applied is by a green or white rectangle around it.

To clarify, in texture selection window:
white border = shader
green border = texture/shader used in loaded map

You need common-spog.pk3 and placed in q3ut4/.
http://74.121.182.91...common-spog.pk3

You need common.shader and placed in q3ut4/scripts/.
http://74.121.182.91...s/common.shader

In shaderlist.txt (located in q3ut4/scripts), you must have 'common' listed in the file to load common.shader and then restart Radiant.

What operating system and what version of Radiant are you using?

This post has been edited by mindriot: 19 February 2011 - 07:25 AM

#20 User is offline   IceMan Icon

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:39 AM

View Postmindriot, on 19 February 2011 - 07:15 AM, said:

To clarify, in texture selection window:
white border = shader
green border = texture/shader used in loaded map

You need common-spog.pk3 and placed in q3ut4/.
http://74.121.182.91...common-spog.pk3

You need common.shader and placed in q3ut4/scripts/.
http://74.121.182.91...s/common.shader

In shaderlist.txt (located in q3ut4/scripts), you must have 'common' listed in the file to load common.shader and then restart Radiant.

What operating system and what version of Radiant are you using?

my gtkradiant version is 1.5.0 while my os is win 7 64bit.
anyway i did what you told me and now i can see everything is correct in my gtkradiant :)
(for the sake of curiosity, where did you take those files??? :D )

however, still a problem occur. in the editor everything is fine but when i compile it the same error occur... i'm compiling with the "bsp" only, is there any other options i should add in order to compile it right??
thank you very much.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942