Cheers John
[/quote]

EXCELLENT! My vote: 8/10

#24 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:15 PM

ehm where do i start :P i really love the look of the map(as usual u are gr8 with that) ehm tbh the layout is still not good but ur getting there much better then ur last maps. the sky is waaaaaaaaaay to low on the first pic and by the cinema entrance u cant stand on those boxes on the truck, and from the metro/ subway the train is going straight trough the stairs up so u can see the roof getting over the stairs (ghost train xD) and u still have lots of things to put playerclip on :)
Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   Rappio Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: rappio
  • Main tag: [PRKL]

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

Mirror beta 7
http://urtmaps.prkl....on_rouge_b7.pk3

//Fast speed, no waiting time!
What is the sound of silent scream when you still map with GTK Radiant 1.5

#28 User is offline   Rappio Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: rappio
  • Main tag: [PRKL]

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

Mirror:
http://urtmaps.prkl....allon_rouge.pk3

Fast speed, no waiting time!
What is the sound of silent scream when you still map with GTK Radiant 1.5

#29 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: majkifajki

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:35 PM

Ok - I think someone should say that what I'm going to say, because Johnny is a great artist and he should not waste his time no more and go with his mapping on a new level.

I will not play this map :unsure:

First of all - this is great map for Pacman
Posted Image

but not for First Person Shooter video game. It's a maze - I got lost just at the beginning. A lot's of tunnels, curves, really nasty campspots, no place for flagrun, no routes for flag grabbing, no routes for flag intercepting. In a terms of 'layout' THIS IS NOT PLAYABLE MAP.

Design is outstanding - I think even Clatoo would shake Your hand. Map is insanely well coded too - I had zylion of fps in this rich environment.

BUT THIS MAP HAS NO LAYOUT WHATSOEVER.

Stop making mazes - this is not 'maze-design" contest! We want to PLAY your map, not only look at it. The amount of really annoying camp spots is very high. Also, red players are favored by colors and overall darkness! R_gamma 1:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

In a game we have less then second to spot and react for enemy - we have no time for "where is the Wally" game.

I started mapping by creating "retarded map". While creating it, I constantly tested it and I was changing layout (NOT design). Just to learn some skill in layout: "the difference between my imagination of what player will do VS what players are actually do when they play". I think, that shaders can be copied, textures can be downloaded, models can be imported. But layout is 100% mapping "skill" and You need to start thinking in this terms.

Let start with 100% pure genius - KINGDOM. Look at the basic layout:
Posted Image

See how SIMPLE is this? No fancy rooms, corridors - it's THAT SIMPLE. Also, it balanced. Let start with red flag base - camping spot number one:
Posted Image

It has it's own anti-camps:
Right flank:
Posted Image

Exit from the corridor on the little bridge above crosshair:
Posted Image

Guy who like to camp on the bridge can be flanked:
Posted Image

Guy camping above the doorway:
Posted Image
can be also surprised:
Posted Image

In blue base if someone feels smart and camp near the barrels:
Posted Image

Can be flanked easily:
Posted Image

If blue players want to sit on the roof:
Posted Image

Watch out for windows! (use Linux:D
Posted Image

And so on.

Can You 'dismantle' Your map in that way? And I'm not even analyze flag routs / flag interception routes...

You have incredible skill in design, time to learn the secrets of layout. If map gives me thrills and adventure, I will forgive average-quality textures and not-shining glass. But if map is hard to play and therefore not let me use gameplay specifics of Urban Terror game - I delete it.

It would be great, If Papuryny or Null wrote an article about basics of game layout - all of us would benefit from this, because I start to believe, that most of custom mappers put 100% of their work only in design and layout mechanics is just something that emerges itself from fancy shaders :sad:

#30 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:05 PM

View Postmajkifajki, on 02 June 2011 - 06:35 PM, said:

It would be great, If Papuryny or Null wrote an article about basics of game layout - all of us would benefit from this, because I start to believe, that most of custom mappers put 100% of their work only in design and layout mechanics is just something that emerges itself from fancy shaders :sad:

It would be really cool (but imo its not that really hard to find a good layout) a tip: look at gr8 layout maps such as: casa, dust2, kingdom, mandolin (TS version), Dustie (xD i just have to give my self credit since its one of the best layout maps iwe played imo) and many more :)

and "because I start to believe, that most of custom mappers put 100% of their work only in design and layout mechanics is just something that emerges itself from fancy shaders" well im not one of them, i try to find the layout before and well all my maps dont have the best layout but 2 of my favorites is darkfeelings(OMFG HAVE TO TESTED TO JUMP ON THAT MAP!!!!!?) and dustie :) i might sound ego and i might be but i love my layouts :)
Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942