• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sneak Peek I Rate Topic: ***** 4 Votes

#311 User is offline   t3hbeast Icon

• Account: t3hbeast
  • Main tag: .ygp`

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:44 PM

Can you guys stop b***hing at the FS about HD? They have lives, they have things that are more important than the coding of the game (ie: children, jobs, wives) get over the fact that its taking awhile to make it. Grow up and be patient before they decide to just say F**k it and stop.

#314 User is offline   onslaught Icon

• Account: onslaught

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

Just to clarify I was not saying that you should make the game open source that would be practically impossible with an anti-cheat that actually works and totally impractical. I was figuring you have more then one person working on the Linux version and more then one person working on hd as a whole so I was suggesting you have a closed forum with a password or something similar so all those who are working on the project can have open discussions about where their at with other members of the team. The best run business I have ever seen did things this way except it was an open weekly meeting and it worked very well for them. You could even use a program like skype to do it live on cam or maybe you already do. I don't know if you do or do not as I am not part of the dev team.

It was a suggestion take it or leave it. As well it was an fs member that stated that Linux users do not understand open source which maybe a few very isolated users don't but in its self is a ridiculous comment.

All I was asking for was for you guys to once every month or so to put up some kind of posting in the news area to say hey Mac and Linux users we know your anxious to be part of the testing and were working on it this is where were at nothing specific even during the process we noticed a few major errors. As a member of your team stated if we didn't care we wouldn't ask.

#315 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: majkifajki

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

They currently testing linux build. I forgot in which thread it was stated, so You have to belive me :)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#316 User is offline   onslaught Icon

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:06 PM

For the frozen sands team

I would just like to say I know the Linux community can get frustrating for you at times. Please understand our community (which I am proud to call myself one of) gets insulted, belittled, and underestimated on a constant and steady basis. A large portion of the Internet, business networks, and people use Linux and unfortunately people say on a constant basis that what you do in your spare time is Impossible for large corporations to do for gaming.

Urban terror is one of the few really great games for Linux so first off let me say thank you for this game and keep up the good work. Cheaters may spoil this game in many ways nothing lessens the importance of this game to the Linux community as it proves not only can it be done but it is being done and without profit so it can be done and make a profit.

You see the Linux community gets excited because this game is one of if not the best game(s) for Linux and it is hard to be patient when that game is doing something that no other game has that you can play on Linux. For us you guys are on the cutting edge and we do appreciate that.

From the many people I have spoken to over the years thank you and keep up the great work we do appreciate it.

#317 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:54 PM

View Postonslaught, on 07 July 2011 - 03:06 PM, said:

Please understand our community (which I am proud to call myself one of) gets insulted, belittled, and underestimated on a constant and steady basis. A large portion of the Internet, business networks, and people use Linux and unfortunately people say on a constant basis that what you do in your spare time is Impossible for large corporations to do for gaming.

People that compares a video game title project that is backed by a huge budget with a project such as UrbanTerror lack common sense.
And for one, little to no game developers in the commercial gaming market right now is even bothered with producing a native Linux port of their product. 5 years after Unreal Engine 3 was released, there is still to this day not a final/solid fully working Linux port there of. Nor does it looks like IDTech5 is gonna make an appearance on Linux either.
Tho partly to blame to the lack of standard on Linux while Windows and it's DirectX API is mature and expanding in features rapidly.
Everyone is rather busy with porting their games designed for console to (Windows) PC.

#318 User is offline   H0i Icon

•   former FS member   
    Modeler
  • Account: h0i

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:10 PM

I was suggesting you have a closed forum with a password or something similar so all those who are working on the project can have open discussions about where their at with other members of the team.

Of course. We have a private forum, private irc channel, teamspeak, etc. There is constant communication between developers.

View Postonslaught, on 07 July 2011 - 02:46 PM, said:

All I was asking for was for you guys to once every month or so to put up some kind of posting in the news area to say hey Mac and Linux users we know your anxious to be part of the testing and were working on it this is where were at nothing specific even during the process we noticed a few major errors. As a member of your team stated if we didn't care we wouldn't ask.

Making a newspost with "we're working on it" every month will only make people frustrated. Saying that we are working on it once is enough.

Currently the linux build is being tested, I'm not a linux user myself but it is already working. It's not released yet because some other things need to go in the next alpha too, for example the auto updater.

Keep in mind, this is an alpha we're talking about. It's alpha for a reason, other developers (especially commercial ones) usually don't release alpha builds. Alpha means pre-beta: missing features and incompatibilities should be expected, and the lack of support for linux/mac is one of those things. Just be patient, it's coming.

#320 User is offline   onslaught Icon

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:44 PM

thanks Frankie that is excellently put and more then I expected for a response. I can't wait to see the finished product and can't wait to see how it runs on my system. My comments about how some of the Linux community feels is based on the group of people I have spoken to and is probably a more varied type of user then most people know because I know many people who never used computers due to finding windows not laid out well or confusing who started using computers after I let them use my Ubuntu machine and they found it just made sense. I say this just so you realise although its a decent sized group many may not be your a-typical Linux users but thanks to you all again.

P.S. this is what I meant as opposed to "were working on it" thanks.

Currently the linux build is being tested, I'm not a linux user myself but it is already working. It's not released yet because some other things need to go in the next alpha too, for example the auto updater.

This post has been edited by onslaught: 08 July 2011 - 09:50 PM

• (34 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942