Urban Terror Forums: A plethora of problems - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A plethora of problems Rate Topic: -----

Invalid game folder, shared config folder, etc.

#1 User is offline   headon2heartache Icon

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

1. Nice on the so-called auto installer, but it makes the same old assumptions about a ~/.q3a folder and is thus sharing config with 4.1. Now, I have my ways to hack around this, but the fact is, I shouldn't have to think about it. Why am I reviewing a q3config.cfg shared by what is in fact two games with different engines and packs?

2. "Invalid game folder" reported by most servers. Exactly 5 servers <100ms ping and four of them report as such, can't join.

3. Sound. Oh, that's right, refer to 1. The sound quality is absolutely awful "as installed". There was some sort of awful hiss/flange on Kingdom and the sound quality was extremely muddy. What's that? It's sharing configs with 4.1? Why should I even have to think about that?

4. I couldn't figure out how to enter my auth code except by windowing and resizing to 640x480 and putting that alongside a browser window displaying my auth key so I could plug it in, one painful character at a time. Did I get it right? How do I check?

If it matters at all, I'm running this on an up-to-date Arch Linux (i686 kernel).

Please note I've only enumerated the deal-breakers. If you want my honest opinion about other particulars or want me to test things, PM me.

#2 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: Pwny|

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

View Postheadon2heartache, on 06 August 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

1. Nice on the so-called auto installer, but it makes the same old assumptions about a ~/.q3a folder and is thus sharing config with 4.1. Now, I have my ways to hack around this, but the fact is, I shouldn't have to think about it. Why am I reviewing a q3config.cfg shared by what is in fact two games with different engines and packs?

2. "Invalid game folder" reported by most servers. Exactly 5 servers <100ms ping and four of them report as such, can't join.

3. Sound. Oh, that's right, refer to 1. The sound quality is absolutely awful "as installed". There was some sort of awful hiss/flange on Kingdom and the sound quality was extremely muddy. What's that? It's sharing configs with 4.1? Why should I even have to think about that?

4. I couldn't figure out how to enter my auth code except by windowing and resizing to 640x480 and putting that alongside a browser window displaying my auth key so I could plug it in, one painful character at a time. Did I get it right? How do I check?

If it matters at all, I'm running this on an up-to-date Arch Linux (i686 kernel).

Please note I've only enumerated the deal-breakers. If you want my honest opinion about other particulars or want me to test things, PM me.

4.2 is meant to be an update, not a new game, thats why its uses the same locations - which is why you are having all these problems, because you still have 4.1 in the same location. If you wanted 4.1 and 4.2 on the system at the same time then thats up to you to work round that.
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#3 User is offline   headon2heartache Icon

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostNitro, on 06 August 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

If you wanted 4.1 and 4.2 on the system at the same time then thats up to you to work round that.

I get where you're coming from, but then why the bother with an "installer" and not just a link to a tarball yonder? And if this is just an update, why a new (and decidedly inferior, by comparison to mitsu's builds, among others) binary?

#4 User is offline   lebbra Icon

• Account: lebbra
  • Main tag: bw|

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

I do not want to debate if 4.2 vanilla is better or not than Mitsu's build, but it would be great if Mitsubishi will issue a new build compatible with 4.2.
I was so nicely used to have my (small) clock in the bottom left corner, enhanced audio, alt+tab minimize, cleaned console logs, and so on...

Mitsubishi, are you still there? Posted Image

aka Dead f.S. - aka |CoN|-=V0l3ur=-, Playing UrT from 2001 - RedCap bot Developer

[img]http://www.dead.it/UrT/logop.png[/img]

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Nikki Icon

• Account: nikki
  • Main tag: diRf!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

4.2 is meant to be an update, not a new game, thats why its uses the same locations - which is why you are having all these problems, because you still have 4.1 in the same location. If you wanted 4.1 and 4.2 on the system at the same time then thats up to you to work round that.

View PostBladeKiller, on 06 August 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

4.2 is not to be confused with an update to 4.1. Do not put 4.2 in the same folder as 4.1. They are not like 3.1 and then 3.2. We needed to do a full repack for 4.2 for future updates to work properly.

Alright, glad we got this cleared up.

This post has been edited by Nikki: 06 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

#7 User is offline   BludShoT Icon

• Account: bludshot
  • Main tag: [T]

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

Yeah but you guys knew that people who were installing 4.2 already had 4.1 installed. So isn't that your problem too? The installer didn't say to uninstall 4.1 first...

#8 User is offline   Truth Icon

• Account: truth
  • Main tag:

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:20 AM

View Postheadon2heartache, on 06 August 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

4. I couldn't figure out how to enter my auth code except by windowing and resizing to 640x480 and putting that alongside a browser window displaying my auth key so I could plug it in, one painful character at a time.

I did the same thing except with my second monitor, there is a file in q3ut4 folder called authkey that you can paste your key into and that should work too (i think)

#9 User is offline   lebbra Icon

• Account: lebbra
  • Main tag: bw|

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:48 AM

View PostBladeKiller, on 06 August 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

4.2 is not to be confused with an update to 4.1. Do not put 4.2 in the same folder as 4.1. They are not like 3.1 and then 3.2. We needed to do a full repack for 4.2 for future updates to work properly.

Sorry but frankly speaking 4.2 is actually not debugged enough for replacing 4.1.1.
I know that you are doing your best, but if FS decided to diffuse a beta version, there should be the possibility to keep 4.1.1 unmodified, until the "tester" will decide to move to the 4.2.

As i told, even putting 4.1.1 and 4.2 in separate folders still remains .q3a issue, ans fs_homepath seems to be write protected (why?).

This post has been edited by lebbra: 07 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

aka Dead f.S. - aka |CoN|-=V0l3ur=-, Playing UrT from 2001 - RedCap bot Developer

[img]http://www.dead.it/UrT/logop.png[/img]

#10 User is offline   headon2heartache Icon

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

I moved all things 4.1 out of the way, blew away my existing q3config.cfg, removed everything from my autoexec.cfg that would have been a no-go on the stock 4.0 or 4.1 client, and - still getting "invalid game folder" on every server I've tried (no, I'm not going to try a server over 120ms ping, it's horrible enough trying to play guys with a ping that high). I have absolutely nothing in my q3ut4 folder that wasn't downloaded by the "installer" with the exception of the autoexec.cfg and that has nothing of import in it (a few cg_ values I insist upon, like shuddup with the chatting, and my binds).

So, what now? Do I go back to 4.1?

EDIT: Hang tight. I looked up this error when I first saw it, and after more digging, it's beginning to seem that these servers I can't connect to are in fact running 4.1. If that is really the case - if you guys rolled this out without getting as many server admins on-board with 4.2 as possible - dirf.

And again: Welp, server info on all of these reports as 4.2 something, so...no clue. Guess I'll unpack the clean tarball I downloaded OH RIGHT there isn't one, net-installer hahaha hhhrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

This post has been edited by headon2heartache: 07 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942