Urban Terror Forums: Revert Models/Animations/Hit Meshes - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Revert Models/Animations/Hit Meshes Rate Topic: -----

At least until the issues have been fixed.

#1 User is offline   Truth Icon

• Account: truth
  • Main tag:

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:34 AM

I was going to make this a poll, but I can't find the option to add a poll.

The new animations and hits have rendered the new version of urban terror almost unplayable. To the point where more people continue to play 4.1 despite the option of even downloading 4.1 from the main site no longer existing.

My suggestion is simple, revert the models, animations and hit meshes back to the way they were in 4.1, and implement the features of 4.2 that are not dependent of those models (auth, matchmode changes, demo format etc.)

The new models look good, better than the old ones, but the issues that are brought along with those new models are too much to justify their use, at least until they have been extensively reworked. The hits are worse, and the animations are much worse than they used to be, as other people have said before, it feels like a major step backwards.

As a person who has played this game for a very long time, I am worried that taking such a large step backwards now, even so that theoretically we can take a larger step forwards later, is going to kill a competitive community that has been slowly dwindling for years. (speaking of the north american competitive community specifically)

Personally, I think the hits in 4.1 are fine. I realize that my opinion is not shared by everyone, but I would not be surprised if the players who complain about hits in versions prior to 4.2 are the vocal minority. Even those players can agree that the current state of 4.2 is very far away from being a conceivable replacement for 4.1.

I realize that going back to the old animations will probably take some time, time that could be spent trying to fix the issues with the current build of 4.2, but I am positive that it will take less time than it would to fix those issues and the future issues that will arise.

I would be very curious to know where the community as a whole stands on this. If you have an opinion either way, and have extensive competitive urban terror experience, please share your opinion.

#4 User is offline   Delirium Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: delirium

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:04 AM

Nobody truly likes a change, people just adapt to it.

Eventually you'll get used to the animations, they're just different to what you currently know, that's all.

#5 User is offline   lebbra Icon

• Account: lebbra
  • Main tag: bw|

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:05 AM

My opinion (as old player and server admin) is that hit detection in 4.2 has been strongly improved but it is not stable. I noticed (I do not know why) that hits are perfect for a while, and after some time they get worst and come back to be good later.
During "bad hit moments", for instance, aiming a afk player to head with G36 and scope results in three, four missed hits before having a headshot. During good moments, with same weapon you can headshot a jumping player at 20m...

Maybe it depends from how many peoples are on the server at that moment; in any case slots are limited to 14 on my server.
aka Dead f.S. - aka |CoN|-=V0l3ur=-, Playing UrT from 2001 - RedCap bot Developer

[img]http://www.dead.it/UrT/logop.png[/img]

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   BludShoT Icon

• Account: bludshot
  • Main tag: [T]

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:50 AM

View PostDelirium, on 20 August 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

Nobody truly likes a change, people just adapt to it.

People do like good changes.

View PostDelirium, on 20 August 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

Eventually you'll get used to the animations, they're just different to what you currently know, that's all.

No, that's really not all. They are demonstrably flawed. It is true that people could get used to them though. My 2nd monitor is half broken and I got used to it.

#7 User is offline   Pez Icon

• Account: pez
  • Main tag: strayA#

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:49 AM

4.2 release has all but destroyed Aus/NZ urt. i'm sick of the excuse "it's not our job, we do it for free and its just a hobby" how about you charge us money for the game so you can employ the people that are needed to make it into a good game.

4.1.1 + updater, new/updated maps and basic bug fixes is the perfect game for steam.

This post has been edited by Pez: 21 August 2012 - 03:53 AM

#8 User is offline   Noxtty8 Icon

• Account: noxtty8

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:48 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 20 August 2012 - 04:51 AM, said:

In part we are to blame assuming that all knew what a total repack meant but it also does not help much that some individuals insist in telling others that installing over 4.1 is acceptable which has never been the case in the past with a major upgrade. It can only be assumed that they are doing so with malicious intent.

Dafuq bro.. you find the way to put the blame on us? You realize that some of us are not computer experts?
Maybe it's the least you can do to WARN people about that?

That's probably the worst excuse I've ever heard. Actually 4.1.1 is still available, this is my backup.. It's your problem to release a buggy version. lol of course we do it to piss you off.. We knew you would want to comeback to old stuff! Actually I didn't install the game in the same directory, but the installer is so f*cked up that I don't even know where the game is installing at so I do not really care about that.

Putting the blame on us is really cheap, it's your 'job' to take care about that.

#9 User is offline   lebbra Icon

• Account: lebbra
  • Main tag: bw|

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

View Postnoxtty8, on 21 August 2012 - 06:48 AM, said:

... That's probably the worst excuse I've ever heard...

NO.
The worst excuse I've ever heard is blaming someone for something that you had for free. Constructive critics, suggestion and bug tracking are always welcome, but complaints on someone else's free job are useless.
Furthermore if you are not a "computer expert" is your problem. Use what you download on your PC at your own risk.

This post has been edited by lebbra: 21 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

aka Dead f.S. - aka |CoN|-=V0l3ur=-, Playing UrT from 2001 - RedCap bot Developer

[img]http://www.dead.it/UrT/logop.png[/img]

#10 User is offline   Noxtty8 Icon

• Account: noxtty8

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:20 AM

View Postlebbra, on 21 August 2012 - 08:17 AM, said:

NO.
The worst excuse I've ever heard is blaming someone for something that you had for free. Constructive critics, suggestion and bug tracking are always welcome, but complaints on someone else's free job are useless.
Furthermore if you are not a "computer expert" is your problem. Use what you download on your PC at your own risk.

Makes no sense.. at my own risk.. ya.. then after getting blame?

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942