• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how is the HD way? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   quit Icon

• Account: quit

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

Hey all,

I've been using radiant for some time now, and managed to come up with a more-or-less playable map. I was planning to add some details (flowers, vines, decaying walls, you name it) but given that HD is the way forward, and that to take advantage of the new VBO possibilities most stuff should be done with models, I'm going to ask: what should I do to satisfy that requirement?

That is, how do I split the work between radiant and my modeling app (blender)? Should I layout some fully caulked structural brushes in radiant, and then cover them entirely with detailed 3d models? Or should I just setup everything in blender and -- then what? Are there any special techniques required? Restrictions? Is there any tutorial around to help me get started with the new HD way? I'm not too sure I understand the proper way to set up the scale for interoperating blender and radiant, for once.

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   banksy Icon

• Account: banksy
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

Your best bet is to create your map in either 3dsmax or Maya
All models should be created in the above these 2 programs as well (saved as .ase)

#4 User is offline   quit Icon

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Hey,

thanks for the quick reply. :-)

View Postbanksy, on 22 August 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

Your best bet is to create your map in either 3dsmax or Maya

Am I to take that the whole map (minus details) should be modeled as a *single* model? Doesn't that imply that the whole thing will be rendered by the engine all the time? And what about texturing? Is the model to be assigned a single *large* texture or what? What about vis calculation? These are probably silly questions, but I don't get how to build the map otherwise. ;-)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   ValkoVer Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: valkover

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

Once you complete map in modeling program and import it to radiant, you must separate sections of map using solid caulk blocks and then vis it. Use textures like you used them in radiant, though for small objects that don't have seamless textures, you could try using one big texture (well, its impossible in radiant because of it's limited texturing capabilities). And im not sure if its possible to make map as one single model, because 3dsmax (idk about maya) has limit of textures (it may be possible to override it somehow, but im 3dsmax n00b :unsure: )

#7 User is offline   quit Icon

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

Everybody: thanks for the help. :-)

View PostHappyday, on 22 August 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

You can build your whole map in one .blend / .max but you want to export parts of the map individually.

I see, that makes sense.

Maybe I should mention that your models need to be clipped in radiant with brushes and you use some of those brushes for your vis stage like you would if you build your map in radiant. So you want to split up your whole map model according to your vis calculations.

So basically I build the whole map in blender, then export the various buildings (or other pieces) as ase and add structural brushes and hints in radiant, right?

You can assign multiple materials to one model. So you can texture your models just like in radiant with repeating textures or for more detail use textures that have exactly the size of your uv maps (I guess there's some fancy term for this).

I guess I'll have to learn a bit more about blender to figure out how to do that. :-)

You can also use the same texture space on different models or for different parts of the same model.

Sorry, I don't get it. :-P

Now I'm looking for a decent way to convert from .map to .blend -- looks like there's an exporter plugin that goes in the opposite direction (.blend -> .map) but nothing useful for my task.

I was thinking of something like .map -[q3map2]-> .bsp -[decompile]-> .ase -[voodoo magic?]-> .blend. The voodoo ritual is still missing though. ;-) I'll see if I can cook up a python script for that or something.

I can't wait to not be constrained by some ugly grid!

#9 User is offline   quit Icon

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

View PostHappyday, on 22 August 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

The missing voodoo ritual is an .ase import script for blender that you can download by following the link I posted above (katsbits.com)

Alas, on katsbits there's only an .ase export script for the blender version I use (2.63a). I managed to achieve the same effect using the 'assimp' tool, available on sourceforge. So the entire pipeline was:

map -> bsp -> ase -[assimp]-> obj -[blender import script]-> blend

Edit: ase -> ply -> blend works much better. :-)

View PostHappyday, on 22 August 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

This reminds me to say that you want to adjust the blender grid (which by default uses 10 subdivisions ) to use 8 subdivisions like radiant does. This way certain parts of your models that you snap to the grid are also on the grid once you import them in radiant.
-> in the 3d view press n -> display -> grid floor -> set scale and subdivisions to 8

Neat, thanks for the hint! :-)

This post has been edited by quit: 22 August 2012 - 06:38 PM

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942